Demi Lovato promotes diet culture despite blasting frozen yogurt shop

• Super Mods

nnnn :orangu_orangutan_ape:

1. Dr. Pepper zero sugar is still a health hazard :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: Coke zero (or diet as dumb americans think it actually helps you lose weight wtf) is also super hazardous. These drinks have 0 sugar, indeed, but the sweeteners they add are literally 10 times more cancerous and damaging for our bodies.
  2. Not at Demi being a bully attacking small businesses but gladly promoting multi-billionare corporations :orangu_orangutan_ape:
  • Like 2

Is this a serious post or satire? Dr pepper is a sponsor for iHeart radio so it's advertised on their mics and step and repeat banners. 

She's not "promoting" diet culture because she's holding their mic during an iHeart interview :orangu_orangutan_ape:

I'm not a Demitria fan in the slightest but this is such an embarrassing reach:jeanluc_ashamed_embarrassed_hide_facepalm_meme:

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, patr!ckjean said:

nnnnnnnnnnn :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

I LOVE Demi’s voice and music, but this is a PERFECT example of an artist I 100% have to separate from their work because it seems as a person they’re just insufferable (it seems)

seriously though, absolutely no shade intended but has Demi ALWAYS been this -let’s say- problematic, or has this just gotten more intense and/or scrutinized in recent years??

I do it too. Demi has gotten worse over the years.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

1. Dr. Pepper zero sugar is still a health hazard :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: Coke zero (or diet as dumb americans think it actually helps you lose weight wtf) is also super hazardous. These drinks have 0 sugar, indeed, but the sweeteners they add are literally 10 times more cancerous and damaging for our bodies.
  2. Not at Demi being a bully attacking small businesses but gladly promoting multi-billionare corporations :orangu_orangutan_ape:

There's no concrete scientific evidence that artificial sweeteners in sodas are harmful or cause cancer. Sugar is by far one of the most harmful things one can consume and the leading cause of obesity in America. I personally drink diet soda not because I think it helps me lose weight but because I want to avoid the copious amounts of sugar and empty calories in regular soda if can avoid it.

7 minutes ago, Korb said:

Is this a serious post or satire? Dr pepper is a sponsor for iHeart radio so it's advertised on their mics and step and repeat banners. 

She's not "promoting" diet culture because she's holding their mic during an iHeart interview :orangu_orangutan_ape:

I'm not a Demitria fan in the slightest but this is such an embarrassing reach:jeanluc_ashamed_embarrassed_hide_facepalm_meme:

Well it's not since they made a small company down for selling diet coockies. They would've walked away from there with their attitute right now.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, DearBritney00 said:

Well it's not since she made a small company down for selling diet coockies. She would've walked away from there with her attitute right now.

I get that she's hypocritical (we all are) ,but holding a microphone with a sponsor of a third party event is not a personal endorsement of Dr pepper LMAOOOO

8 minutes ago, Korb said:

There's no concrete scientific evidence that artificial sweeteners in sodas are harmful or cause cancer. Sugar is by far one of the most harmful things one can consume and the leading cause of obesity in America. I personally drink diet soda not because I think it helps me lose weight but because I want to avoid the copious amounts of sugar and empty calories in regular soda if can avoid it.

I read something in a nutrition class a couple years ago that said to be affected by the artificial sweeteners (in a negative manner), most studies are showing you’d need to consume around 20 cans of “diet” soda per day, so… there’s also that. 

I personally also will drink diet soda to avoid the sugar and calories - and I enjoy the flavor of *some* diet sodas, carbonation, and caffeine (though I’ve recently started drinking some coffee but I’m just not a big fan)

I also drink a ton of water, and I’ve recently lost almost 60 pounds sooooo… :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

• Super Mods
18 minutes ago, Korb said:

I'm afraid you're wrong there, and this is just one of the many stuff I found:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-coke-zero-bad-for-you#other-downsides

Though the research is inconsistent, some studies find that the use of artificial sweeteners may contribute to the development of obesity and metabolic syndrome, a cluster of conditions that increase disease risk (3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).

One 8-year observational study found that people who drank more than 21 artificially sweetened beverages per week almost doubled their risk of overweight and obesity, compared with people who didn’t consume these kinds of drinks (7Trusted Source).

The same study noted that total daily calorie intake was lower in individuals who drank diet beverages despite their increase in weight. This suggests that artificial sweeteners may influence body weight in other ways than calorie intake (7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source).

• Increased risk of heart disease. An observational study found a link between artificially sweetened beverages and an increased risk of heart disease among women with no prior history of heart disease (20Trusted Source).
  • Increased risk of kidney disease. The high phosphorus content in sodas may cause kidney damage. A study noted that those who drink more than 7 glasses of diet soda per week doubled their risk of kidney disease (21Trusted Source).
  • Could alter your gut microbiome. Several studies indicate that artificially sweetened beverages can alter your gut microbiome, causing poor blood sugar control (22Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source).
  • May increase osteoporosis risk. One study observed that daily cola intake was associated with a lower bone mineral density of 3.7–5.4%. Similar results were found for those who drank diet cola beverages (24Trusted Source).

Not writing any of this for the sake of contradicting you ofc, it's really your life and you have the freedom to do whatever you wish. But I know what these companies are ready to do for millions, people's lives are completely irrelevant to them.

As someone who's been doing marketing for years now, you have no idea of the **** I've seen that corporations are ready to sell to people so they could earn some good cash. I'd hate to see anyone getting sick because Coca Cola wishes to earn a couple more billions. Just not worth it. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, patr!ckjean said:

I read something in a nutrition class a couple years ago that said to be affected by the artificial sweeteners (in a negative manner), most studies are showing you’d need to consume around 20 cans of “diet” soda per day, so… there’s also that. 

I personally also will drink diet soda to avoid the sugar and calories - and I enjoy the flavor of *some* diet sodas, carbonation, and caffeine (though I’ve recently started drinking some coffee but I’m just not a big fan)

I also drink a ton of water, and I’ve recently lost almost 60 pounds sooooo… :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

Yep. Nothing in excess is ever good and I don't doubt that some people may have an adverse reaction to artificial sweeteners but they seem relatively safe when consumed moderately.

Also congrats on the weight loss! that's awesome!:)

5 minutes ago, Korb said:

Yep. Nothing in excess is ever good and I don't doubt that some people may have an adverse reaction to artificial sweeteners but they seem relatively safe when consumed moderately.

Also congrats on the weight loss! that's awesome!:)

Absolutely! As a general statement the majority of what -at least Americans- consume from a typical grocery store selection is loaded with things that are “bad” for us ><

&& thank you :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

43 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

That's why I rarely drink soft drinks in general. I cut out the regular versions years ago for health reasons and began to drink zero sugar versions instead, but then when I learned about the sweeteners in Coke Zero, Pepsi Max etc. I also began reducing my intake of them. Now I don't really drink them at all. I did have Coke Zero the other day when I went to Chipotle but that was like the first time in a while. I tend to drink the regular versions with Vodka when I'm drinking alcohol but I haven't been drinking as much because of the pandemic. Both of my siblings have had to have fillings at the dentist and I haven't (although I still love cakes and doughnuts ddd). 

Edited by Isla
15 hours ago, patr!ckjean said:

nnnnnnnnnnn :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

I LOVE Demi’s voice and music, but this is a PERFECT example of an artist I 100% have to separate from their work because it seems as a person they’re just insufferable (it seems)

seriously though, absolutely no shade intended but has Demi ALWAYS been this -let’s say- problematic, or has this just gotten more intense and/or scrutinized in recent years??

I feel like Demi has become more and more unlikeable since the Confident era. I think the first thing that pissed me off about them was when they criticised Taylor Swift for donating money to Kesha after her trial with Dr Luke (apparently Demi was annoyed that Taylor 'didn't speak out about it' :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:). Demi was actually really likeable and relatable during their first four album eras, especially on X Factor. I miss that Demi. 

2 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

I'm afraid you're wrong there, and this is just one of the many stuff I found:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-coke-zero-bad-for-you#other-downsides

Though the research is inconsistent, some studies find that the use of artificial sweeteners may contribute to the development of obesity and metabolic syndrome, a cluster of conditions that increase disease risk (3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).

One 8-year observational study found that people who drank more than 21 artificially sweetened beverages per week almost doubled their risk of overweight and obesity, compared with people who didn’t consume these kinds of drinks (7Trusted Source).

The same study noted that total daily calorie intake was lower in individuals who drank diet beverages despite their increase in weight. This suggests that artificial sweeteners may influence body weight in other ways than calorie intake (7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source).

• Increased risk of heart disease. An observational study found a link between artificially sweetened beverages and an increased risk of heart disease among women with no prior history of heart disease (20Trusted Source).
  • Increased risk of kidney disease. The high phosphorus content in sodas may cause kidney damage. A study noted that those who drink more than 7 glasses of diet soda per week doubled their risk of kidney disease (21Trusted Source).
  • Could alter your gut microbiome. Several studies indicate that artificially sweetened beverages can alter your gut microbiome, causing poor blood sugar control (22Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source).
  • May increase osteoporosis risk. One study observed that daily cola intake was associated with a lower bone mineral density of 3.7–5.4%. Similar results were found for those who drank diet cola beverages (24Trusted Source).

None of this is concrete evidence or causative evidence that Coke Zero is a hazard or causes cancer tho? Those were your claims...

If you read the studies they cited, not a single study outright links artificial sweeteners to cancer or claims outright that they are "hazardous" to your health, just that they are linked to increased weight gain. That link can be easily explained (over weight people drink diet soda thinking that they are saving on calories and end up overindulging in other ways) and is not causative. You also posted health risks associated with soda consumption in general (sugar sodas) which is irrelevant to the conversation about the effects of artificial sweeteners on one's health tbh.

You also claimed that AS are 10x worse than sugar which is blatantly not true. 

I don't think that AS are HEALTHY ,just arguing that they are not detrimental in moderation and they sure as hell are a better alternative than chugging sugar out of a can.

57 minutes ago, Korb said:

Well it's obvious Demi's not exactly promoting it....

but looks like they were sort of set up for this very unfortunate photo op :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao:

I mean it's totally over branded with Diet Dr Pepper to the point that it looks photoshopped. someone did Demi dirty and Demi's team ain't looking out for them! 

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block