Britney and Naomi Osaka

Watching the worldwide reaction to Naomi Osaka pulling out of the French Open this week due to anxiety/depression, the first place my head went to was Britney.

Naomi is the latest high profile figure to be not just publicly forgiven for some erratic behavior (she flaked on several press conferences before withdrawing), but actually praised for her courage to speak her truth about mental health and deal with her problems. It's really something - the universal outpouring of support from other athletes/celebs, mainstream media, social media, and vast majority of fans themselves. 

Anyway, Naomi Osaka is 23 yrs old now. And I just.. can't.. help.. comparing it to how viciously Britney was treated, everywhere, at nearly the same age for dealing with the same problems. The comparison is jarring. Where would Britney be in life today were she then have been afforded the same empathy ?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching the worldwide reaction to Naomi Osaka pulling out of the French Open this week due to anxiety/depression, the first place my head went to was Britney. Naomi is the latest high profile fi

Nobody knows. Cause sadly that was and is her way.

I thought of Britney immediately as well. I like Osaka and am glad people are reacting well but it did make me think of how absolutely horrific ppl treated Britney. And Britney was dealing with being

I thought of Britney immediately as well. I like Osaka and am glad people are reacting well but it did make me think of how absolutely horrific ppl treated Britney. And Britney was dealing with being hounded 24/7 by groups of paps yet was not afforded a scrap of empathy and if you mention Britney to ppl some would probably still scoff but if you mention Osaka they’d probably say how brave and smart she’s being. It really does depend on how the media frames everything. Glad ppl are reacting well to Osaka though, and hope if she gets a good sports psychologist and feels up to it she’ll play Wimbledon.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, sunny_liston said:

Watching the worldwide reaction to Naomi Osaka pulling out of the French Open this week due to anxiety/depression, the first place my head went to was Britney.

Naomi is the latest high profile figure to be not just publicly forgiven for some erratic behavior (she flaked on several press conferences before withdrawing), but actually praised for her courage to speak her truth about mental health and deal with her problems. It's really something - the universal outpouring of support from other athletes/celebs, mainstream media, social media, and vast majority of fans themselves. 

Anyway, Naomi Osaka is 23 yrs old now. And I just.. can't.. help.. comparing it to how viciously Britney was treated, everywhere, at nearly the same age for dealing with the same problems. The comparison is jarring. Where would Britney be in life today were she then have been afforded the same empathy ?

I think the better question is where would she be if she had competant parents and a strong foundation?   

A Dad was a drunk and abusive and Lynne was a stage mom and seems like she was more of a "friend" to Britney than her "Mother".

Look at say a Beyonce, Taylor Swift or a Janet Jackson they all had a very supportive family and foundation that help them navigate the shady music industry.  I don't think a lot of people understand how shady & dangerous the music industry can be at times.   U go from having nothing and being nobody to having millions and having people at you beck and call and deposable and millions of people around the world knows U now.   That can be a lot to deal with specially as a young teen or young adult.

I wouldn't want to be famous I can't imagine never having any privacy, can't go anywhere and be discreet, don't know who to trust, U basically are a prisoner in your home and studio.  I remember Eminem talking about what it is to be Superstar on that magnitude and said the same and how it can be really lonely at times also.