This Day in Pop: Rihanna releases ‘Good Girl Gone Bad’ album in 2007 (May 31)

Rihanna had a few hits under her belt by the time GGGB came out. ‘Pon De Replay’, ‘Unfaithful’, and the #1 hit ‘S.O.S.’ were kept in constant play by many of us. Even so, Rihanna still needed to accomplish a quite difficult feat: becoming a household name.

‘Good Girl Gone Bad’ was a hit machine that established Rihanna as a global superstar, a title she still enjoys even without putting music out :rihannayas_weave_pull_cocky_smirk_proud:

It was the music, the looks (I remember my mom watching the ‘Umbrella’ music video and asking: “who is she? she’s gorgeous”) the music videos, the performances, and her constant sass. Main pop girl.

Some of you might wonder about the accuracy of the release date. It came out at different points: May 31 in some European territories; June 5 in the U.S.; and well, even in 2007, an early release meant a worldwide one.

I am elated to write about this in Exhale because I was OBSESSED with this album, and if it weren’t for ‘Blackout’ coming out later in 2007, my family and neighbors would’ve kicked my butt out of the neighborhood.

Therefore, in order to celebrate its 14th :byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette: anniversary, I would like to run down the track list and talk about each song:

Umbrella: the undeniable ‘Umbrella’. I am not the biggest Jay-Z fan but I enjoy his verse and his chemistry with Rihanna is nice, here and in the other tracks they’ve done together. This song is larger than life and its message has resonated with me all along. I just keep wondering how it would have sounded with Britney? :boredashell_pink_britney_hmm_blink_well_umm:. By the way, does anyone remember her performance in the MTV Movie Awards? When Rih seemed to enjoy being on stage.

Push up on Me: I listen to her vocals in this one and it’s just scary that I have seen her evolve that much. Pretty cool track. :matches:

Don’t Stop the Music: I will never forget when I bought the album, played it for the first time and got to track #3. I blasted it. Timeless banger. My prayers for it to become a single were heard. :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

Breakin’ Dishes: was this a prediction of how Rih-Rih would evolve over time? This was the single that got away. The ‘blow this whole house down’ part is fire :mae_fire_explosion_dead_spiderman_old_woman:

Shut up and Drive: the music video is a SERVE. I enjoy the song, it’s just that I think is the odd one out in the album.

Hate that I Love You: I love the way this song was crafted as an actual duet and it wasn’t something like “let’s throw Ne-Yo in because he’s hot right now and he wrote it”. Their vocals blend beautifully together. Also, she looked like a goddess in the music video.

Say It: it’s a cute song, but probably the weakest track in the album.

Sell Me Candy: many people find this song weird, and it kind of is, but in a good way I’d say. It’s reminiscent of the sound in her first two albums, but bettter. 

Lemme Get That: this is another song that could have belonged to one of her first two albums, just a bit sassier. It’s not entirely bad, but I might find myself skipping it.

Rehab: I think this song is really underappreciated. I loved it the minute I heard it. Also, I think it’s noteworthy how even when Timbaland produced it, it didn’t sound like something he would’ve done.

Question Existing: ok, the lyrics here are deep sh!et. This song is amazing. I think it could even fit in ‘Anti’. I wonder how she feels about this song at this point in her career.

Good Girl Gone Bad: R&B perfection. This song is like a narration, something not very usual in Rihanna’s catalogue. The perfect closing track for the album.

About the 'Reloaded' edition:

Disturbia :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

Take a Bow :riri_rihanna_take_bow_wink_flirt_hand_white:

If I Never See Your Face Again (with Maroon 5) :neydedance_purple:

How do you feel about this record?

• Love 7

I remember buying this record, its a really solid RnB and minor Pop record!

My favourites from it are:

• Cry - A bonus track for Europe, such a great ballad. I think its up their as my favorite from her!
  • Good Girl Gone Bad - This was everywhere in 2007, many people used it for Britney Spears music videos.
  • Umberlla - Pop Perfection
  • Breakin Dishes - I love the beat
  • Hate That I Luv U
  • Rehab
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Alestaos said:

I remember buying this record, its a really solid RnB and minor Pop record!

My favourites from it are:

• Cry - A bonus track for Europe, such a great ballad. I think its up their as my favorite from her!
  • Good Girl Gone Bad - This was everywhere in 2007, many people used it for Britney Spears music videos.
  • Umberlla - Pop Perfection
  • Breakin Dishes - I love the beat
  • Hate That I Luv U
  • Rehab

OMFGGGGG THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME OF GODCRY! :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

I was obsessed with this song back in highschool, I don’t know how I effin’ forgot about it! It’s such an amazinggggggggg tune to cry over your imaginary boyfriends! :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

• Love 3

This album took her to the next level , with hits like umbrella , shut up and drive and please don't stop the music she was already becoming a legend in the making :katybelt_perry_witness_yelling_singing: 

I remember how big it was back in the day , damn it feels like forever .... But loud will always be my favorite Rihanna album .

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block