Olivia Rodrigo scores #1 album and #1 single in the UK and breaks records

Slayer

4 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

Congratulations to her.

I'm not trying to discredit her but I'm having a hard time trying to understand how she turned into a record-breaking singer :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad: What is it about her that apparently attracts people's attention? Everything she's done has been done before. My radar doesn't detect the "It" factor in her. I just see a Taylor Swift/Lorde hybrid with an outdated sound and TikTok tunes? I'm really struggling here.

I feel the same way. Big kudos to her- no hate. But just super confused. The HUGE amount of success just doesn’t compute. Songs are catchy but pretty standard and her charisma isn’t out of this world. 

I could see billie’s success (since she’s been mentioned here). I get that. It’s unique, it’s different… Olivia tho? Unclear. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

@Easy There it's bad when the comments about not underestimate the appeal, like we discussed. they're becoming their parents. 

None of our parents understood the appeal of Britney spears or the Spice girls. 

Sigh the cycle never ends. 

Not you equating this girl riding off Taylor Swift’s success and everyone’s temporary insanity to Britney Spears and The Spice Girls. The records she’s breaking won’t matter decades from now. It’s laughable how this bland girl has amassed such a cult of admirers. The same people who stan pop culture phenomenons now worship this girl who is fit for the Tik Tok platform only. It’s not about becoming nobody’s parents, but about recognizing that this girl doesn’t lift a finger to legends who came before her. I’ll eat my words if she’s still pulling these stunts a decade from now. She hasn’t done anything groundbreaking other than breaking trivial records that are designed to give an edge to whoever the industry decides deserves it at the moment. The audacity to compare parents of Britney stans when she first debuted to this bland, vanilla, temper tantrum throwing child :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe: expected more from a Madonna stan :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, britney_rocks said:

She is like Billie Eilish to me. I don’t get the appeal

Couldn’t have said it better.   today’s standards of music is so different now compared to back then.   Popularity of music now is based on what’s on tik tok.  it’s Ruining things.  There’s no excitement 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, car said:

I feel the same way. Big kudos to her- no hate. But just super confused. The HUGE amount of success just doesn’t compute. Songs are catchy but pretty standard and her charisma isn’t out of this world. 

I could see billie’s success (since she’s been mentioned here). I get that. It’s unique, it’s different… Olivia tho? Unclear. 

Exactly! You put it into words better than me.

I only knew that Drivers’ License was huge on TikTok and that she had some drama with Joshua (who I knew through her :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:) and Sabrina. Later it seemed the success she had with that song wasn’t following her with the next one. And then suddenly…. :mae_fire_explosion_dead_spiderman_old_woman:

I see why Billie, The Weeknd, Post Malone are successful and I don’t necessarily like them either. In BTS’ case it’s obvious why they’re liked too, they’re like the elephant in the room of western mainstream music… 

Her case is a mystery because somehow she’s getting inspiration from artists in decline whose songs are not that welcome in the charts and she’s surpassing one and about to surpass the other at this rate. It’s so weird and I can’t help but wonder why up and coming gifted artists and musicians (Rina, Normani, Grammy darlings H.E.R and Jacob Collier) aren’t having that same luck or why others can’t pull off that kind of success when they’ve been in the industry for years and people know them (JoJo, Adam Lambert) :watrusayin_britney_xfactor_confused_shocked_surprised_um_what:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block