Olivia Rodrigo scores #1 album and #1 single in the UK and breaks records

Slayer

Olivia Rodrigo cements her position as the year’s biggest breakthrough artist as she scores the Official Chart Double - her debut album Sour and latest single Good 4 U both land at Number 1.

As if that wasn’t impressive enough, Sour celebrates a number of achievements in its opening week:

Sour surpasses Foo Fighters to earn the biggest opening week for an album so far this year, racking up 51,000 chart sales.
It’s also the biggest opening week for a debut album in two years, since Lewis Capaldi’s Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent in May 2019.

At 18 years and 3 months old, Olivia becomes the youngest solo artist in UK chart history to achieve the Official Chart Double - view the full list here.

Olivia is the first artist in six years to claim the Official Chart Double with their debut album, since Sam Smith’s In The Lonely Hour (album) and Lay Me Down (single) in 2015.

Sour sets a new all-time Official Chart UK streaming record, with the most week 1 streams for a debut album, overtaking title holder Lewis Capaldi. Sour notches up a staggering 45.7 million track streams over the past seven days (30,945 streaming-equivalent sales).

Source: The OCC

olivia-rodrigo-official-chart-double-sour-good-4-u-1100.jpg

• Love 1

She's the queen of pop for this year. Watch her win album.of the year next year and several prestigious honors as many are reminding in their reviews she's a songwriter writing what most teenagers especially women go through.  Trying to find that one true love only to realize what they want isn't be8kf returned and therefore creates the bitterness of love. 

Which girls go through it the most as they saying goes Boys just go through them like a toy in their youth, where the girl is wanting that fairy tale she was promised as a kid. 

Congratulations to her.

I'm not trying to discredit her but I'm having a hard time trying to understand how she turned into a record-breaking singer :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad: What is it about her that apparently attracts people's attention? Everything she's done has been done before. My radar doesn't detect the "It" factor in her. I just see a Taylor Swift/Lorde hybrid with an outdated sound and TikTok tunes? I'm really struggling here.

• Love 1
  • Like 8
9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

:rihclap_rihanna_clapping_applause_yes_yas: 

I'm happy for her, she's trying something different and it's working for her.

The album has grown on me even more, I like it, it has it's attitude. 

What different? No hate, I just wanna know 

Because it seems pretty basic, already seen to me🙈

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
11 minutes ago, Lil-Jay said:

What different? No hate, I just wanna know 

Because it seems pretty basic, already seen to me🙈

I mean different in what's common in today's music, she's doing pop/rock.

I know she's no pioneer because it's already been done before but to the new generation this is new, it's uncommon from the same old tired songs that have been trending in recent times.

It helped her stand out and while yes her personality is bland (so are the other girls) her personality fits what she's presenting.

Edited by Midnight
  • Love 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

8 minutes ago, Midnight said:

same :kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

what's your fave song off the album?

I got the signed cd/cassette bundle :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

Honestly, I have to say good 4 u, I just love that song! How about you?

I enjoy the album but I just love the pop/rock to it and the video :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
1 minute ago, Slayer said:

I got the signed cd/cassette bundle :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

Honestly, I have to say good 4 u, I just love that song! How about you?

I enjoy the album but I just love the pop/rock to it and the video :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

OMG, I'm so jealous. :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

I still haven't bought mine :embarrassney_embarrassed_shame_guilt_hide_britney_karaoke_head_shake_no_smh: I wanted to get it on Amazon but it won't be available until next month, the vinyl ships until August or September :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad: 

I'm actually enjoying the whole album but "jealousy, jealousy" is my fave.

• Love 1

Just now, Midnight said:

OMG, I'm so jealous. :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

I still haven't bought mine :embarrassney_embarrassed_shame_guilt_hide_britney_karaoke_head_shake_no_smh: I wanted to get it on Amazon but it won't be available until next month, the vinyl ships until August or September :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad: 

I'm actually enjoying the whole album but "jealousy, jealousy" is my fave.

I think it was a UK exclusive or something, it was only £14.99 for a signed cd/cassette bundle! So I thought why not buy it and support her! :) The packaging it came in literally smelt of sour sweets!

Omg what that is such a long wait! So many good songs :shaking_shake_gold_yellow: I've missed songs with that pop/rock vibe! Very Avril!

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
1 minute ago, Slayer said:

I think it was a UK exclusive or something, it was only £14.99 for a signed cd/cassette bundle! So I thought why not buy it and support her! :) The packaging it came in literally smelt of sour sweets!

Omg what that is such a long wait! So many good songs :shaking_shake_gold_yellow: I've missed songs with that pop/rock vibe! Very Avril!

Yesss, that's what I'm enjoying too, I think she's just what music needs right now, something more rockish. The album has such an attitude and it's so refreshing.

What? That's such a good price, well now you have a historic piece at an amazing price. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky: 

Too bad I can't say the same :tiffanycries_ny_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_crying_tears_sobbing_sad: 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Yesss, that's what I'm enjoying too, I think she's just what music needs right now, something more rockish. The album has such an attitude and it's so refreshing.

What? That's such a good price, well now you have a historic piece at an amazing price. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky: 

Too bad I can't say the same :tiffanycries_ny_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_crying_tears_sobbing_sad: 

IKR! I'm currently loving Brutal today!

It really was such a good price!

You're just going to have to come to the UK where we appreciate good music :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Spoiler

then we can go see Little Mix together :wink_britney_everytime_white:

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
2 minutes ago, Slayer said:

IKR! I'm currently loving Brutal today!

It really was such a good price!

You're just going to have to come to the UK where we appreciate good music :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Hide contents

then we can go see Little Mix together :wink_britney_everytime_white:

:urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed:  only if you promise to sing and dance "Touch" with me :wink_britney_everytime_white:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block