This Day in Pop: 'Glory' is reissued on digital platforms in 2020 - 'Mood Ring (by Demand)' is made available globally (May 28)

gloryri-min.jpg.da71303d7cb9e0e0ad43ad176a775c76.jpg britney-spears-glory.png

On May 28, 2020, Britney Spears' Glory album was reissued on digital platforms and with it, Mood Ring (by Demand) was made available internationally. Previously, it had only been released as a Japanese bonus track. 

On May 08, after the #JusticeforGlory campaign that took Britney's ninth album to the top of the pop iTunes chart, a new cover was released to replace the original shot taken from the Make Me... video, only for the standard edition of the record.

But it wasn't until the 28th when it was announced through Britney's social media accounts that Mood Ring (by Demand) would be released globally. It was in fact added to the standard edition of the album, as track #13.

Mood Ring topped the iTunes chart during the weekend following its release, despite Lady Gaga's latest album Chromatica being released on the same day. Despite Mood Ring landing at #2 on the US Billboard's Digital Song Sales chart, it only peaked at #23 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. However, it did chart in other countries such as Hungary and Scotland. 

Billboard reportedly heard from Britney herself:

"This is incredible! 'Mood Ring' is one of my favorite songs on Glory, it’s so vibey and ****," Spears tells Billboard exclusively. "I’m so grateful to the fans for pushing for its release, and then for making it go to No. 1 on iTunes. I have the best fans in the world! I love you all!"

On the same link, you can find an interview with Melanie Fontana and Jon Asher, songwriters of the track

"She's the reason I am a songwriter," Fontana tells Billboard. "There's a machine behind every artist and I've always wanted to become part of hers, since I was a little girl. Britney Spears was definitely my 'white whale,' basically something I've been chasing for so long. When I saw that she was putting out 'Mood Ring' for real -- like a repackaged single of sorts -- I just thought, 'Wow, you did it, kid.'"

Adds Asher, "In comparison to anything I've ever done, 'Mood Ring' feels like a destiny fulfillment. I knew when I moved to L.A. that I would be working towards getting a Britney song. I didn't know how it was going to happen, but I knew it would."

@Jordan Miller himself got us an AMA with Jon Asher, which you can find here:

Melanie Fontana shared the demo of the song to celebrate the release:

Melanie recently spoke about Britney last March, check it out:

Mood Ring, which was originally recorded in 2015, would get a digital Remix EP release later in June, making it a sort of third single off Glory, though the status is still disputed among fans. But we'll celebrate that release later. 

This reissue of Glory would also get replaced later in the year, when in December, we got the definitive edition of the album (so far) including all the known tracks, plus the Mood Ring remixes, and the two previously unreleased songs Swimming in the Stars and Matches ft. Backstreet Boys. 

D0cquQfUwAAwjBm.jpg

The day Britney recorded Mood Ring.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

gloryri-min.jpg.da71303d7cb9e0e0ad43ad176a775c76.jpg britney-spears-glory.png

On May 28, 2020, Britney Spears' Glory album was reissued on digital platforms and with it, Mood Ring (by Demand) was made available internationally. Previously, it had only been released as a Japanese bonus track. 

On May 08, after the #JusticeforGlory campaign that took Britney's ninth album to the top of the pop iTunes chart, a new cover was released to replace the original shot taken from the Make Me... video, only for the standard edition of the record.

But it wasn't until the 28th when it was announced through Britney's social media accounts that Mood Ring (by Demand) would be released globally. It was in fact added to the standard edition of the album, as track #13.

Mood Ring topped the iTunes chart during the weekend following its release, despite Lady Gaga's latest album Chromatica being released on the same day. Despite Mood Ring landing at #2 on the US Billboard's Digital Song Sales chart, it only peaked at #23 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. However, it did chart in other countries such as Hungary and Scotland. 

On the same link, you can find an interview with Melanie Fontana and Jon Asher, songwriters of the track

@Jordan Miller himself got us an AMA with Jon Asher, which you can find here:

Melanie Fontana shared the demo of the song to celebrate the release:

Melanie recently spoke about Britney last March, check it out:

Mood Ring, which was originally recorded in 2015, would get a digital Remix EP release later in June, making it a sort of third single off Glory, though the status is still disputed among fans. But we'll celebrate that release later. 

This reissue of Glory would also get replaced later in the year, when in December, we got the definitive edition of the album (so far) including all the known tracks, plus the Mood Ring remixes, and the two previously unreleased songs Swimming in the Stars and Matches ft. Backstreet Boys. 

D0cquQfUwAAwjBm.jpg

The day Britney recorded Mood Ring.

All your knowledge about Britney in your head:

bba80a456aa1222e68fdea91e49c2541.jpg

Gurl, how do u do this? I could never do the research about every aspect & make these posts, I'm too lazy :ohreallylol_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_ny_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe_cackle:

You understood your assignment :urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed: 

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

We really deserved both Mood Ring (in both standard and deluxe version) and the original artwork back in 2016 :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:
Glory era (2016) was really special to me because it's the first one I followed close through social media, I have very fond memories of it despite all the messy stuff that happened. I enjoyed every single minute of it and still I feel like I took it for granted :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad:

The revival of the album last year felt so weird and bittersweet but I love Swimming in the Stars.

• Love 2
Just now, Look But Don't Touch said:

Gurl, how do u do this? I could never do the research about every aspect & make these posts, I'm too lazy :ohreallylol_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_ny_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe_cackle:

I don't know this like, by memory lol I only remember certain stuff, so I google it to get the most correct info, and sometimes still miss some tidbits of info. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: Also I only remember stuff, because I previously created an entry on the Calendar. But if it's not on the calendar to begin with, then I won't post about it (that's how we missed Boys anniversary last year :pieceofwhat_britney_awkward: )

I'm just a compulsive procrastinator, so while I'm at work I love to do stuff like this, instead of my actual job :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: 

Right now I think we already have covered all the calendar entries for like single releases, albums, music videos, award performances, but my goal is to keep adding as much stuff as possible, like special tv shows, interviews, appearances other than award shows, etc, but that's taking longer. Especially with older stuff from the 2000's and earlier, where accurate dates are usually difficult to find, or various sources contradict themselves. 

For example, I still haven't been able to determine the date for her Star Search performance. I think I have narrowed it down to March 1992, but I still don't have an exact date. 

• Love 4
  • Like 1

So stunning, literally her best album cover, and maybe her best photo ever. This was such a fun time, it felt really good to be a B Fan, and then later that year we got the full repackaged vinyl. Omg.. I miss her so much! :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:   :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

But there is so much good to come with this court date coming up.. She’s going to speak her truth and finally be heard. She deserves to have the freedom we all enjoy, “Freedom” and autonomy, whatever that means to her.  #FreeBritney #WeLoveYouBritney #BritneyIsHeard  :clap_clapping_britney_xfactor_red_excited_yay_cheer:   :groovin_dance_clap_alien_monster_party_costume_Halloween_spooky_scary:

• Love 2
1 hour ago, alienatedNey said:

I died when this happened  :melt_weird_drift_wow: I was (still am) obsessed with the new Glory cover. 
would prefer the REAL original one where she’s chained to the house though :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

Is that what the original cover was? Can we confirm this or are you basing it off the music video concept

2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

"This is incredible! 'Mood Ring' is one of my favorite songs on Glory, it’s so vibey and ****," Spears tells Billboard exclusively. "I’m so grateful to the fans for pushing for its release, and then for making it go to No. 1 on iTunes. I have the best fans in the world! I love you all!"

:crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad: oh my god. :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad: :crying4_britney_crying_stages_tears_sad: she poured her heart and soul into this message

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rick101 said:

Is that what the original cover was? Can we confirm this or are you basing it off the music video concept

It looks like the shot came from a screen grab (lol) of the MV that they later heavily photoshopped. Britney supposedly was covered in dirt but they really cleaned it up along with changing up the background

I was so excited this day. I still think this is her record label’s way of showing support of the movement by releasing the chain pictures (albeit heavily altered). I still prefer the original cover than the one we got in the end. The sunset sky is pretty but the picture looks very edited now. You can see the difference in her foot (her foot now is EXTREMELY and unnaturally curved) and there is that god awful double shadow beneath her arm lol