New ABC Documentary - The Price of Care: Investigating California's Conservatorships

I still can't believe something like this even exists, especially in the US where they always talk so much about their freedom and their rights and whatever, it's like, who did even come up with a concept as evil as this? :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking: With so much potential for abuse.

It would only made sense if in a conservatorship, it was the government the one paying the conservator and providing for the conservatee needs, or at least for the lawyers. It also doesn't make any sense that the conservator has to receive a payment. I think for example about a situation where you have a senile parent, you take care of them, without receiving a payment, I mean, if you're gonna take the responsibility of taking care of someone, you do it for free, not expecting to quit your job and live off their money. What difference does it make if the conservatee has $50 or $50M dollars in their account? That's their money, and it's to cover their needs, not yours.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I still can't believe something like this even exists, especially in the US where they always talk so much about their freedom and their rights and whatever, it's like, who did even come up with a concept as evil as this? :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking: With so much potential for abuse.

It would only made sense if in a conservatorship, it was the government the one paying the conservator and providing for the conservatee needs, or at least for the lawyers. It also doesn't make any sense that the conservator has to receive a payment. I think for example about a situation where you have a senile parent, you take care of them, without receiving a payment, I mean, if you're gonna take the responsibility of taking care of someone, you do it for free, not expecting to quit your job and live off their money. What difference does it make if the conservatee has $50 or $50M dollars in their account? That's their money, and it's to cover their needs, not yours.

I mean at the very least the fees should be capped. Like say foster parents, they all get paid the same statewide, a little more for special needs and such. But it’s like $1,000 a month. The pay rate should be the same if the person has $1,000 in their bank or 40million. 

• Love 1
  • Like 5

Cship is bussiness for sure. And ppl running it has a lot to loose.  The fact that court appointed lawyer or conservator gets more money than conservatee is disturbing. And they can have more than 1 conservatee.  And unlimited control of some1s live. It is scary

• Love 1
  • Like 7

the idea of a conservatorship makes sense to me for people who are severely handicapped and cannot provide for or take care of themselves. this is a simple idea. but as usual, there are plenty of people out there who take something genuine and altruistic and take advantage of it and try to scam people. 

• Like 1

Yes, Expose them! :clownery_makeup_meme: 

Change is needed, more oversight, restrict the income and powers the conservators and lawyers currently have. The voice and wants of the conservatee should be top priority. Civil rights and choice of attorneys should never be restricted or denied. 

Judges need to be more involved and hold lawyers accountable. Stop treating each case like administrative papers just needing a judge’s signature.

Each case is unique and the conservators should have the responsibility to prove that the conservatorship is needed annually not the conservatee proving they don’t need it. It’s so backwards and disturbing. California needs to wake up to this mess. :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Conservatorships are scary! 

The Price of Care: Live Q&A with experts explaining conservatorships in California.

ABC10 investigative reporter Andie Judson hosts a live Q&A with insiders explaining conservatorships in California.

Posted by ABC10 on Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Two experts talk about c-ships. 
-people rarely get out of c-ships

-take the money out of c-ship you will remove all predators the next day.

-c-ships are worse then a prison sentence

• Love 3