"Sour" Exceeds Expectations Debuting At #1 With Nearly 300k SPS Sales & Becomes 2021's Biggest Debut Week Sales Surpassing Taylor Swift!

MAJOR POP ACCOUNCEMENT!!!!!~

The final numbers are out! The debut album by MPG has debuted at #1 selling 286k units! These are the biggest first week sales for a debut album since When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? by Billie Eilish!

A day for pop and pop culture :clap1_britney_clapping_chaotic_night_yay_cheer_excited:

New numbers have been announced! The album is now projected to of course debut at #1 with 235-255k units sold in its first week! Surprised?

UPDATE:

The actual figures are 295k, making Sour the biggest album debut!

Olivia Rodrigo has actually proven to be a good seller when it comes to albums! Hits Daily Double just released a report predicting the debut record to top the charts with sales of 195k-220k, in which 60k-70k are pure sales alone! - HDD

These are massive numbers considering the music climate right now! I am genuinely surprised she actually outdid our earlier predictions I did not even imagine her crossing over 200k!

This also can possibly give Olivia the fourth biggest first week sales of this year!

Olivia Rodrigo’s SOUR (Geffen/Interscope) is headed for the fourth biggest start so far this year. Only Taylor Swift, J. Cole, and Morgan Wallen have opened higher.

With only 11 songs, the Rodrigo's debut is projecting close to 200m audio streams. The pre-album singles, "Drivers License" and "Good 4 U," defied first-week trends upon release with day-over-day gains for each. This suggests some upside to today’s projection. How high can it go? We’ll update the numbers tomorrow morning.

Olivia Rodrigo – SOUR (Geffen) 195-220k total activity, 60-70k albums

Now excuse us while we drive through the suburbs and recreate our teenage angst.

Earlier:

Hellooo everyone! :hiii_britney_wave_glaad_2018_waving_hello:

So exhales favorite pop star "Olivia Rodrigo" has dropped her debut album "Sour" which is making waves throughout the internet! It won't be long enough till Billboard announces its first week sales and position! So how much do you guys think the album will sell?

Olivia burst onto the pop scene with her chart topper "Drivers License" which introduced the world to her. She followed up DL with a "lesser-successful" song, Deja Vu which unfortunately (:crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:) failed to match up to its expectations. However, she redeemed her success with her new smash pop rock hit "Good 4 U" which is predicted to go #1 in the second week :scalped_wind_storm_blowing_sand_dirt_desert_holding_on: She has also proved (so far :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:) that she isn't a single artist, with her new album going #1 in not only the US Itunes charts but over 50 charts around the globe! So considering and taking alll this success to note, how much do you think Olivia will sell?

Obstacles for her can possibly be-

• That she has power as a singles artist only, and that her albums in this streaming age won't really make the same effects her songs did. Considering we live in the streaming age, we can easily name over 10 artist who are only good in selling quick hit singles and not albums. Can Dua possibly become one of them?
  • Since it is her debut era, there is a lot of pressure on whether she will become a one-hit wonder or manage to break that with her new album.
  • Will her demographic be willing to buy her album? Considering she is targeting a demographic who prefer listening to songs than whole albums, would her interest and popularity be enough to convince her demographic to buy her album digitally or physically?

These are her possible obstacles.

In my opinion:
In best care scenario, she debuts with 150-170k SPS units in the US with a #1 and internationally sells around 200k-300k units

In worst case scenario, she debuts with 50-70k SPS units in the US with a #1 and internationally sells around 80k-100k

So what are your predictions? Lemme know :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

Related:

or.jpg.ccbaa59f253e04e8563c13921eef56a2.jpg

• Love 1

TBH, the singles are the best part of the album. I listened to the album tracks and it's nothing special at all. The lyricism isn't any better than any other pop star, it just covers different topics. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Like I've literally seen people say Olivia is the Alanis Morissette of this generation, but that's just completely untrue. :idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

I listened to the first track, "Brutal", and IDK why literally that song should have been my fave but I lowkey extremely disliked the way it was narrated. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

TBH, the singles are the best part of the album. I listened to the album tracks and it's nothing special at all. The lyricism isn't any better than any other pop star, it just covers different topics. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I see where u are coming from. Considering after listening to the album, Good 4 U remains my fave track from the record. I think she just picked the best out of the bunch and released them as singles and boom! 2 hit singles and 1 decent smasher. Not denying it isn't smart marketing however. The song is basically a mix of indie-pop songs and 90s-early 00s pop rock songs.

Considering u love pop rock, what do u think of G4Y?

3 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Like I've literally seen people say Olivia is the Alanis Morissette of this generation, but that's just completely untrue. :idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

Wow, I- :idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

4 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I listened to the first track, "Brutal", and IDK why literally that song should have been my fave but I lowkey extremely disliked the way it was narrated. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

OMG its the opposite for me :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: I loved Brutal so much honestly

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

I see where u are coming from. Considering after listening to the album, Good 4 U remains my fave track from the record. I think she just picked the best out of the bunch and released them as singles and boom! 2 hit singles and 1 decent smasher. Not denying it isn't smart marketing however. The song is basically a mix of indie-pop songs and 90s-early 00s pop rock songs.

Considering u love pop rock, what do u think of G4Y?

Yeah. TBH, we can't judge because lowkey Britney did that too in her first era with the best of the songs thing. The best songs from ...Baby One More Time are all the singles. There are a few deepcuts that are good (I'm So Curious, E-Mail My Heart) but the singles are forever immaculate. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

At first, the, "happy and healthy", lyric of Good 4 U distracted me way too much but now I can enjoy it and it's probs my fave song off the album too. I just wish that one lyric was deleted.  :idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

The music video for Good 4 U is also pretty good, she has charisma but she looked a bit stiff in some of the cheerleading scenes. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

I know it will 99.9% not happen, but I hope Olivia ditches the Taylor inspired songwriter thing for the next era and goes full pop-rock with elements of disco-rock and alternative rock.  I love ballads but 99% of the complaints I've seen about this album are that it's too full of ballads and mid tempos. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

31 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Wow, I- :idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

TBH, what I don't get is why these new pop star's fame isn't translating into worldwide global recognition, like not on like MJ level but like general recognition. Olivia's name is just starting to familiarize with people my age (teens) and some of the younger millennials, but the name Olivia Rodrigo isn't like, globally known like how say other pop stars were in their debut eras. I know pop culture is different now so the last true popstar of that magnitude will probs be Lady Gaga forever, but even with Billie for example, EVERYONE from infants to great grandmothers knew about her even if it wasn't on the same scales as Britney or other pop stars from her time and earlier. :jtum_justin_timberlake_surprised_wow_um_blink_eyebrows_shocked:

36 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

OMG its the opposite for me :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: I loved Brutal so much honestly

Wow. :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Yeah. TBH, we can't judge because lowkey Britney did that too in her first era with the best of the songs thing. The best songs from ...Baby One More Time are all the singles. There are a few deepcuts that are good (I'm So Curious, E-Mail My Heart) but the singles are forever immaculate. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

Agree! Thats the case for all debut pop albums, honestly so it isn't that wrong of Olivia to pull that card.

3 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

At first, the, "happy and healthy", lyric of Good 4 U distracted me way too much but now I can enjoy it and it's probs my fave song off the album too. I just wish that one lyric was deleted.  :idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

Wait why u don't like it?

4 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

The music video for Good 4 U is also pretty good, she has charisma but she looked a bit stiff in some of the cheerleading scenes. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Yeah!! I think out of the 3, Good 4 U MV is pretty good. It really explains those feelings the song channels as well :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

5 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

TBH, what I don't get is why these new pop star's fame isn't translating into worldwide global recognition, like not on like MJ level but like general recognition. Olivia's name is just starting to familiarize with people my age (teens) and some of the younger millennials, but the name Olivia Rodrigo isn't like, globally known like how say other pop stars were in their debut eras. I know pop culture is different now so the last true popstar of that magnitude will probs be Lady Gaga forever, but even with Billie for example, EVERYONE from infants to great grandmothers knew about her even if it wasn't on the same scales as Britney or other pop stars from her time and earlier. :jtum_justin_timberlake_surprised_wow_um_blink_eyebrows_shocked:

One word. Streaming. Like @PokemonSpears pointed out, in their time, they basically did not have streaming and could not live in their own "music bubble". They would have to resort to places such as CD shops, MTV, TRL and the media in which introduces them to the very well known popstars such as Madonna, Britney, MJ etc but now with streaming, you can just live with yr music without knowing whose the it pop girl. I think the only pop girls who have managed to dabble that are Billie and Ariana Grande.

7 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

know it will 99.9% not happen, but I hope Olivia ditches the Taylor inspired songwriter thing for the next era and goes full pop-rock with elements of disco-rock and alternative rock.  I love ballads but 99% of the complaints I've seen about this album are that it's too full of ballads and mid tempos. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

That would be a dream :melt_weird_drift_wow: Honestly, pop rock suits Olivia so much. Her voice blends well with it too. With songs like Brutal, Deja Vu and Good 4 U her voice and talent usually shines with those type of records and guess what? they are mainly pop rock records so yeah I for sure agree with you. Disco-rock would be cool too :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block