Are NSYNC* local? Discuss

On 5/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, PokemonSpears said:

they were quite popular in other countries, but Backstreet Boys are really much more known around the world than NSYNC, not just because they're still together unlike NSYNC, but even back then. Just, apparently Americans for some reason think NSYNC was bigger :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao: I think even Westlife were much more international. 

I think probably because of the NSA era. That era was huge  and also they use the tired argument of them having first week sales higher than any BSB album but they keep forgetting that one faithful day in 1999. BSB released Millennium which is easily the biggest boyband era :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
On 5/21/2021 at 1:26 AM, Slayer said:

Tbh yes, they are not a thing here in the UK and I don't think they were? However fellow UK people can correct me if i'm wrong.

I only know of NSync because one of their members dated Britney :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao:

Omg I was checking their stats in the UK and omg it's tragic :dead_falling_wig_dying: Not their biggest era selling 160k there only :deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

• Haha 1
On 5/20/2021 at 2:19 PM, PokemonSpears said:

they were quite popular in other countries, but Backstreet Boys are really much more known around the world than NSYNC, not just because they're still together unlike NSYNC, but even back then. Just, apparently Americans for some reason think NSYNC was bigger :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao: I think even Westlife were much more international. 

West life? :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle: I only knew about them because of my gay 50 year old uncle. NSYNC was definitely a bigger force than they were. Tbh growing up NSYNC felt more popular. I mean can’t blame me for thinking that growing up in the US before internet really took off and before we could seek our own entertainment. I mean I did my talent show to BSB though, but they were almost equally big to us kids growing up. Now? I mean obviously BSB stayed together, but JT still became a bigger figure basically for being a POS though 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Tbh though look at Britney’s sales in the US compared to other countries. Other countries weren’t buying music like we were. 1000 copies over there is like a diamond, Guinness World Records achievement :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

You have a point. However, US isn't even one of her best performing markets while markets as internationally relevant as Indonesia perform better for her than the American market. She was (and is) a globally loved icon, which easily translated into her sales as well:

SCNw2Gy.png

(Using OIDIA since it came out the same year NSA did)

No Strings Attached Certifications- 12 certifications

Oops!...I Did It Again Certifications- 30+ Certifications

Miss. Gurl even managed to even sell over 100k+ copies in 23 countries :deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow: Plus, only 40% of it's sales were from the US, while 82% of No Strings Attached sales come from the US. So yes the standards for international relevance was pretty high, considering Britney was #1 in that among her peers. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

West life? :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle: I only knew about them because of my gay 50 year old uncle. NSYNC was definitely a bigger force than they were. Tbh growing up NSYNC felt more popular. I mean can’t blame me for thinking that growing up in the US before internet really took off and before we could seek our own entertainment. I mean I did my talent show to BSB though, but they were almost equally big to us kids growing up. Now? I mean obviously BSB stayed together, but JT still became a bigger figure basically for being a POS though 

that's the whole point of the thread lol they could've sold all the records you want, they were still just a local US band for the most part. 

I know, and this is something that I've said many times before, the US has lived in their own bubble since forever and they really don't have any reason to look what's happening outside their country, because when it comes to the entertainment, they've always been on top, all the other countries are the ones looking at them. And of course they have more acquisitive power, and most importantly a better tracking when it comes to sales (in Mexico for example it's really hard to track actual sales or radio airplay, and there used to be like HUGE market of pirated CDs, so we'll never be able to count those). 

However, I think it'll always have more value to reach international success, than just being known in your country, whether is the US or any other. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: We even see it with Britney herself, about how she's never been taken seriously in the US, while in any other country she's respected as a true artist, and also had several more #1s around the world.

Even before NSYNC disbanded, Backstreet Boys was always bigger, anywhere outside of the US.

Even if you look at their YT stats now:

NSYNC only have two videos with over 100M views, and 1 with over 200M. The closest one has around 70M and the rest are in the 50M and then go much lower. 

Backstreet Boys have one video with 930M views, two videos with over 300M views, two videos with over 200M, and three other videos with over 100M. And these are all from the 90's - early 00's, and many of them weren't even published in 2009 when the VEVO accounts were created, but they were uploaded until 2011 or later. The rest of their videos are on average of 30M - 40M. 

Westlife, they have 4 videos with over 100M views, including one with over 200M. One with over 90M views, and they have several others from 50M - 70M views. Tbh, I only found out about this recently. I had no idea they were so huge, and even I was surprised myself when I kept watching videos and turned out I actually knew them, I just had forgotten them lol 

So one would think that if NSYNC was so huge as Americans claim they were, the few videos that they have would be all 300M views or more, and I guess the stats in other platforms must be similar. I don't really think that having disbanded has anything to do, because they're still popular compared to other artists from the time. Just not bigger than BSB, and apparently not bigger than Westlife either. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

You have a point. However, US isn't even one of her best performing markets while markets as internationally relevant as Indonesia perform better for her than the American market. She was (and is) a globally loved icon, which easily translated into her sales as well:

SCNw2Gy.png

Miss. Gurl even managed to even sell over 100k+ copies in 23 countries :deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow: Plus, only 40% of it's sales were from the US, while 82% of No Strings Attached sales come from the US. So yes the standards for international relevance was pretty high, considering Britney was #1 in that among her peers. 

Oh I won’t even argue over who was bigger. The reason JT retained success was because of his connection to Britney. Britney will always be #1. I just meant that even if you look at the ratios she was still selling much, much more in the US. I mean we have the population so it makes sense 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

SCNw2Gy.png

I just found out BSB's first album wasn't released in the US and that explains so much :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: When they finally got it in 1997, the rest of the world was already getting the second album, that's so weird. 

And yeah, as Crazy said, selling a 1000 copies in a place like Mexico, was already a lot, well, their first album sold over 100,000 copies, which is huge.

Even if we take just US sales, Millennium sold more than NSA and Black & Blue sold more than Celebrity. Even the first BSB album released in the US sold more than the first NSYNC album, so I really don't understand where does the idea of NSYNC being bigger comes from :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: Just for the first week sales record? 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Oh I won’t even argue over who was bigger. The reason JT retained success was because of his connection to Britney. Britney will always be #1. I just meant that even if you look at the ratios she was still selling much, much more in the US. I mean we have the population so it makes sense 

Oh, obviously she would sell the most in the US, after all it is the biggest music industry. I am just saying that considering how low standards were for international sales, her international fame and success elevated that standard to higher levels (among her generation) because some artist fail to even sell 10k and above while she did over 100k with ease :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

This heatmap gives a better understanding as well:

Britney Spears' Global heatmap - ChartMasters

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Oh, obviously she would sell the most in the US, after all it is the biggest music industry. I am just saying that considering how low standards were for international sales, her international fame and success elevated that standard to higher levels (among her generation) because some artist fail to even sell 10k and above while she did over 100k with ease :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

This heatmap gives a better understanding as well:

Britney Spears' Global heatmap - ChartMasters

Again, not arguing or denying any of this. I was alive and saw how global her fame was :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I just found out BSB's first album wasn't released in the US and that explains so much :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: When they finally got it in 1997, the rest of the world was already getting the second album, that's so weird. 

Oh, the nightmare it was when I was making the album sales for BSB was something else :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white: I always got confused with the first album and messed it up :orangu_orangutan_ape:

18 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

And yeah, as Crazy said, selling a 1000 copies in a place like Mexico, was already a lot, well, their first album sold over 100,000 copies, which is huge.

So if selling over 1k copies in yr region was alot, than we already would know huge an album would have to be in Mexico to sell over 300k-500k which Britney did with her first 3 records, which is what I thus meant with the OP question. Considering how high standards were during Nsync* time, were they local or otherwise.

24 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Even if we take just US sales, Millennium sold more than NSA and Black & Blue sold more than Celebrity. Even the first BSB album released in the US sold more than the first NSYNC album, so I really don't understand where does the idea of NSYNC being bigger comes from :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: Just for the first week sales record? 

The NSYNC fans cling to NSA first week sales alot for some reason. In terms of US sales, they are basically on par tbh except that BSB sold by 1 million more. But I think in the US, NSYNC most likely could have been bigger considering the manner Americans soar about NSYNC* popularity in the early 00s but hey, Beyonce was America's best selling female act of the 00s but we all know internationally who it is.  Like that I guess can be applied on the whole NSYNC and BSB fiasco. Probably Bye Bye was that big of a hit it became bigger than any BSB single in US? 

26 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

So if selling over 1k copies in yr region was alot, than we already would know huge an album would have to be in Mexico to sell over 300k-500k which Britney did with her first 3 records, which is what I thus meant with the OP question. Considering how high standards were during Nsync* time, were they local or otherwise.

You really have to sell more than 1000 :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: I was just following Crazy's joke, but it's true, 100k is already considered a lot. Idk other countries, but at least here there isn't a main chart like the Billboard, or some entity tracking the sales. We have the one that gives out the certifications, but only once they've reached a certification, if they haven't, there really is no way of knowing exactly how much an album has sold. And I think it's the record labels themselves reporting back to them (I suppose they have to show the receipts of what they've shipped). 

Besides, not every store reports their sales, just like the US, and as I said the pirated albums market was a huge issue, like, the street markets would be full of them, and it wasn't seen as something bad (from the consumer perspective, obviously the record labels and artists weren't happy), so they used to sell as pancakes. I guess it's kinda faded away now in the digital era (or it's now replaced by illegal downloads). So that's why popularity cannot be measured with official sales, because there's a lot of unofficial numbers, like radio airplay, or pirated albums sales, that will never be quantified. Of course, even with that, I don't think we would compare to the numbers from the US.

33 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

The NSYNC fans cling to NSA first week sales alot for some reason. In terms of US sales, they are basically on par tbh except that BSB sold by 1 million more. But I think in the US, NSYNC most likely could have been bigger considering the manner Americans soar about NSYNC* popularity in the early 00s but hey, Beyonce was America's best selling female act of the 00s but we all know internationally who it is.  Like that I guess can be applied on the whole NSYNC and BSB fiasco. Probably Bye Bye was that big of a hit it became bigger than any BSB single in US?

I really don't know about the singles, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, if NSYNC was "the most popular" in the US, probably the singles did better.

I really don't know why they weren't bigger in other countries, because they weren't THAT bad. But they really didn't have that many hits even in their short lifespan compared to the BSB. 

Or maybe the question is why other artists like Britney, BSB, etc, did become huge internationally, but others remained "local" within the US. Was it a deliberate decision from the record labels, or they really flopped when they tried to reach other markets? I still cannot process the BSB first album thing :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: I lived a lie my whole life, I had no idea 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

You really have to sell more than 1000 :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: I was just following Crazy's joke, but it's true, 100k is already considered a lot. Idk other countries, but at least here there isn't a main chart like the Billboard, or some entity tracking the sales. We have the one that gives out the certifications, but only once they've reached a certification, if they haven't, there really is no way of knowing exactly how much an album has sold. And I think it's the record labels themselves reporting back to them (I suppose they have to show the receipts of what they've shipped). 

Besides, not every store reports their sales, just like the US, and as I said the pirated albums market was a huge issue, like, the street markets would be full of them, and it wasn't seen as something bad (from the consumer perspective, obviously the record labels and artists weren't happy), so they used to sell as pancakes. I guess it's kinda faded away now in the digital era (or it's now replaced by illegal downloads). So that's why popularity cannot be measured with official sales, because there's a lot of unofficial numbers, like radio airplay, or pirated albums sales, that will never be quantified. Of course, even with that, I don't think we would compare to the numbers from the US.

Oh, silly me :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: I thought you were being legit and I was being ecstatic of Glory's sales in Mexico :rip_dead_grave_mariah_graveyard_flowers_rip: Yup, piracy and illegal really halted the pure sales market the moment it was introduced. I still don't understand how nothing could be done to stop this sudden flow of piracy sites which damaged the music industry to unimaginable levels :meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell: I wasn't even a fetus at the time of their peak so that was why I was focusing a lot on the sales part of their success :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:  But even if we aren't looking at the sales perspective, you did say that NSYNC* wasn't a whole lot popular in Mexico compared to its counterparts, right? So that's the thing with their "local-ness" :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

really don't know about the singles, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, if NSYNC was "the most popular" in the US, probably the singles did better.

I really don't know why they weren't bigger in other countries, because they weren't THAT bad. But they really didn't have that many hits even in their short lifespan compared to the BSB. 

Or maybe the question is why other artists like Britney, BSB, etc, did become huge internationally, but others remained "local" within the US. Was it a deliberate decision from the record labels, or they really flopped when they tried to reach other markets? I still cannot process the BSB first album thing :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: I lived a lie my whole life, I had no idea 

Their record label focused on promoting them in the US rather than internationally. With their first 2 records, they promoted NSYNC* in Germany, but once they got a big name in 1998 in the US, they totally ditched that market. I think in terms of singles, NSYNC* probably performs better than BSB which performs better in albums. I can only name one NSYNC album but 3-4 BSB albums :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink: But to be honest, I think their most culturally relevant song is Bye Bye. The others might have been hits for their time, but I think BBB was the only one that stood its time. That's what I mean by its success in the US probably overtaking the BSB. However, in many regions (well MOST in upmost honesty), BSB easily beats NSYNC*. Especially in Asia, where boy bands are LOVED.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block