When Asked About Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez, Olivia Rodrigo Says She Doesn't Want to Fall Into the 'Classic Disney Pop Girl Archetype'

Olivia Rodrigo on Instagram: “🦋🌈” in 2021 | Butterfly top, Women, Tops

Olivia Rodrigo is making sure to keep her music career 'separate' from her life as a Disney star. The "Drivers License" singer, opened up about her path during a Q&A for Nylon, telling the magazine how she is trying to break from the child star stereotypes. 

'I'm very aware of that classic "Disney pop girl" archetype,' she said when asked about how stars like Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez's music became 'tethered' to the family friendly entertainment juggernaut.

Selena Gomez Reveals Bipolar Diagnosis on Miley Cyrus' "Bright Minded"

'My music is definitely separate from my acting in a way I always dreamed would happen,' Olivia went on. She's been grateful for how many new fans she's earned since the song's release back in January, saying:

"When "Drivers License" came out, everyone was like, "I have no idea who this Olivia Rodrigo girl is, but I love this song. That is the absolute dream for me, because I've always wanted to be taken seriously as a songwriter. Being an actor can interfere with that, just because being an actor is based on telling lies, and being a songwriter is based on telling the absolute, whole truth," she explained.

But Olivia, who rose to fame on the Disney+ favorite High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, said she isn't trying to reject her roots, only be true to herself.

'...People always ask me, "Oh, did you say f/**k in Drivers License to show that you aren't just a Disney star?" It's cool that people might think that, but I'm just making music that I love and that I feel passionate about,' she continued. 'It's who I am. I have a dirty mouth. It was what felt natural and good to me, and people resonated with that.

And Rodrigo said that while she's proud to be influencing artists to be independent, it was never her main goal.

'If I am ushering in a new generation of pop stars that aren't afraid to speak their mind, that's so cool. I'm just doing my thing, though.'

Hmm let’s not get too c*cky. I get what she’s trying to say, but maybe a little homage would be the humble thing too. Those girls walked so she could run. 

also, on other forums they were discussing whether she is an industry plant / manufactured ... and it totally feels like a calculated angle Disney is playing. 

kudos to her tho- she’s talented and I wish her success. 

• Love 1

Well, she’d have to been the lead star of a hit show to be compared to them :angietea_angelina_jolie_tea_sips_coffee_mug_cup_drink_spilling_spill: Or at least been relevant :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod: Nobody knew this girl and well, tbh, they are pushing for her to be a star and she may be one but her follow up singles to Drivers License have been meh and no where near Lorde or Taylor Swift caliber like she’s pushing. But hey, it’s her debut and she can only go up from here :yeahsure_britney_ftr_for_the_record_yeah_nod_yes_white:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block