Every Madonna Album Ranked

I admit my bias, as a 30 year old I am more aligned with her newer, edm-infused sound. I have listened to each album of hers several times.

14."Madame X"  
(Bizarre album, too many influences. Very dissociated with the current music scene. I did enjoy her social messages)

13. "Bedtime Stories" 
(Outside the singles, I found this album a snooze-feast.)

12. "Like a Virgin" 
(Some iconic singles, 'Dress Me Up' is a fav. Much like Brit's "BOMT" era.. this feels dated and immature to me)

11. "Erotica" 
(A well-rounded flow of tracks that reflect M's rebellious edgey persona. For me, Erotia lacked a anthems but has some great deep cuts)

10. "Madonna"
(This album only has 8 songs, but Holiday, Boderline and Lucky Star are some of her best. "Everybody" is one of the most generic pop tracks ever.)

9. "Music"
(3 amazing hits, weird mix of pop, trance, country and goth influenced... but i like it at the same time)

8. "MDNA"
(Some songs are great such as I'm Addicted, Love Spent, and **** ****..... others are cringey af such as B-Day song, Bestfriend and Some Girls)

7. "Rebel Heart"
(Similar to MDNA. However I thought RH had a lot of potential for some massive hits. "Living For Love" could be "Like a Prayer Part 2". Unaplogetic B####, Iconic and Joan or Arc are favs)

6. "Like a Prayer"
This was Madonnas quintessential era. TBH the album is a over-rated as a WHOLE, but the singles are what you think when Madonna is mentioned.

5. "American Life"
Easily Madonna's most under-rated album. I love the mix of sorrow and angst in AL. Favs include X-static Process, Mother & Father and Nothing Fails. 

4. "True Blue" 
7 of the 9 tracks are near perfect on this. I dont care for the last 2. La Isla, Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart are the JAMS here. White Heat and Where's the Party will also get you movin'.

3. "Hard Candy" 
This album came out when i was 17 and may have had the biggest impact on me. 4 minutes is corny, but has excellent production. "Heartbeat" is ****, "She's Not Me" is witty, "Devil Wouldnt Recognize" is vengeful. Theres something for each of my personalities on this. 

2. "Confessions on a Dance Floor"
Millennials will prob have this as their #1. Great album from beginning to end. 12 tracks and none are fillers. Get Together, Push, Future Lovers are my favs.

1. "Ray of Light"
Love this alternative EDM/nature themed album. I love the cultural/regal vibe this album gives me and it truly takes me to another place.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mmdellavecchia said:

My order.

14. MDMA 

13. Hard candy

12. Rebel heart

11.  Madame X

10. Bedtime stories

9. Like a virgin

8. Like a prayer

7. "True Blue"

6. Madonna

5. Ray of light

4. music

3.  American life

2. "Confessions on a Dance Floor"

1. "Erotica

This I can get on board with.

American Life is criminally underrated. It's in my top 3 for sure. 

Her recent work, and by that I mean everything she has released for the past 10 years, has been poor. 

• Love 1

My personal ranking:

14. MDNA

13. Madame X

12. Rebel Heart

11. Madonna

10. Like a Virgin

9. Hard Candy

8. American Life

7. Bedtime Stories

6. Erotica

5. True Blue

4. Music

3. Like a Prayer

2. Confessions on a Dance Floor

1. Ray of Light

Nice topic :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone: Another one raking Madonna's world tour would be nice too!

• Love 1

Can we talk about EVITA though?

Work Of Art GIF by ANTIQUES ROADSHOW | PBS

With a career spanning decades, it's so hard to compare a lot of her albums.  I grew up listening to a lot of my parents' era of music, so my favorites tend to skew toward her earlier work.  I mean, it was the great singles from her first 4 albums (and a couple soundtracks) that made The Immaculate Collection one of the greatest compilations of all time.:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I'm not sure I could rank them without going back to re-listen to a few, but my favorites have always been Like a Prayer, True Blue, Confessions, Erotica, and Madonna.

One thing I will say about her debut - I think it's hard to appreciate its influence today.  After the demise of disco in the early 80s, dance pop hadn't really found its footing, and Madonna really helped define a path forward for the genre.  "Borderline" is an excellent pop track and one of my favorites of hers.

• Love 1

The only great Madonna albums to me are Ray of Light and Confessions. I was never able to listen start to finish any other Madonna album. Bedtime Stories gets a nod (each single was amazing - This Used To Be My Playground should have been on this album), and I guess so does Erotica (Deeper and Deeper might be my favorite M song) and True Blue, but I only really know the singles and fan-favorites from those albums. I haven't listened to anything past Confessions except for Hard Candy and that's just because someone I was dating when it came out was obsessed. I liked She's Not Me; that's it.

My rank (the best rank tbh :deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink:)

#1 - MDNA - sorry not sorry. So many of y’all sleep on I’m Addicted and I’ve had enough of it tbh

#2 - Madame X - I think this album is really good. Crazy/Future/Medellin 

#3 - Hard Candy - so many bops and Candy Shop is >>>> than all other songs in existence tbh :ari_arianna_pink_bad_hair_flip_cocky_flirt:

#4 - Rebel Bops - v good album. A little all over the place but so many good songs - Living for Love / Best Night 🔥🔥

#5 - Music - such a good album and v cute  - do u know what it feels like for a girl / American pie are gems

#6 - I’m Breathless - I’m a true Stan so I’m including this album. See He’s a Man/Sooner or Later/Something to Remember/and now I’m following you pt II 💅

#7 - Erotica - so many good songs. Secret Garden is a fav

#8 - Ray of Light - such a beautiful album but often times it gets a bit sleepy for me after Shanti Bop Shtangi 

#9 - American Life - Nobody Knows Me/Love Profusioj/Nothing Fails - so many standouts & I love soy lattes 

#10 - Confessions - this album starts off strong for me but it kinda falls a by the time you get to how high. Get Together is one of my all time faves from her though. Also shoutout to Jump :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

#11 - Bedtime Stories - great songs and I lurve Survival

#12 - Madonna - so many good songs on this one. I think it still sounds modern- of all her 80s music I come back to this one the most. Holiday / Physical Attraction 🔥🔥🔥

#13 - Like a Prayer - some gorge songs- it’s obviously one of her best but sweeties I was born in 92 so my connection isn’t the strongest with her earlier work, which I assume that’s why many of you appreciate her earlier stuff because you had a house and kids by then :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: I love Til Death Do Us Part, Cherish, Oh Father & Express yourself 

#14 - True Blue - love this album, it’s cute- but also I don’t connect with Papa Don’t Preach for obvious reasons . True Blue is a great song though 

#15 - Like a Flopgin 

The person who wrote the Odyssey article should have their gay card revoked.

How come this so-called human being feels entitled to make such ranking? :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

In no particular order, but Madonna’s best albums are:

Erotica.

Bedtime Stories.

Ray of Light.

Music.

American Life.

Confessions on a Dance Floor.

That six-album string is the best era that no artist has yet topped. :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block