Will Dua Lipa Become The Katy Perry Of This Generation?

On 5/17/2021 at 7:43 PM, FemmeFataleBrit said:

Honestly, I don’t think any pop star will become big again. I don’t think most people in real-life know who she is nor do they discuss her.

There’s literally Billie Eillish? 

also this thread feels weird to me because dua lipa is actually known and people actually discuss her here in the netherlands. Maybe it’s a europe vs america thing (though I lowkey don’t think it is)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Popcornie said:

Depends what sales u are counting. If you go by pure sales future nostalgia has sold less than all of those albums. She has most streams but she doesnt have good sales at all. Her streams are higher mostly because she released 6 singles when taylor only released one single for each album, lady G had 4 I think so its a lil more fair. highly promoted singles of course gather more streams than album tracks with 0 promootion, because of that stream album sales arent rly album sales because its mostly streams from one song. When u compare the real sales shes No where near gaga or taylor this year, her SPS sales arent near 4 million either, thats not verified by a valid source atleast. Future nostalgia is not as big of an era as teenage dream was, that album is probably the biggest era by any pop girl in this century which is saying a lot. 

The only people nowadays who can shift a good amount of pure sales are Taylor, Adele and Billie. Otherwise, it is not fair to use the pure sales argument considering the atmosphere of the music industry. With total record sales, the FN era is already over 30million records, which is more compared to other albums released during her time. I am not claiming FN to be as big as OIDIA (even though it could have been if it weren't for the pandemic) but she still dominated last year with her music, so that is the main point.

1 hour ago, Goten21 said:

There’s literally Billie Eillish? 

also this thread feels weird to me because dua lipa is actually known and people actually discuss her here in the netherlands. Maybe it’s a europe vs america thing (though I lowkey don’t think it is)

Eh. Most of the people here are Americans. Pretty much outside of the US, she has a decent following in terms of music. And not people forgetting she has like 30 something million monthly listeners :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

The only people nowadays who can shift a good amount of pure sales are Taylor, Adele and Billie. Otherwise, it is not fair to use the pure sales argument considering the atmosphere of the music industry. With total record sales, the FN era is already over 30million records, which is more compared to other albums released during her time. I am not claiming FN to be as big as OIDIA (even though it could have been if it weren't for the pandemic) but she still dominated last year with her music, so that is the main point.

The comparision was Teenage dream not oops I did it again.  And while dua has been big, If Billie can shift records why cant dua? Lady Gaga still shifts more sales than dua. That tells me people are streaming the hit songs and the interest in the full product isnt that big compared to other singers. Her album hasnt even hit number one while folklore held that spot for 8 weeks. 

• Like 1

I know who dua is but I don't know what she's like, she seems genuinely successful for her music not gimmicks , s** whacky clown crap. Kathy Stefani Simpson on the other hand .... I have no idea how that became famous... From day one she was queer baiting, her image started off as a genuine rip off of an archie character and her music was generic as can be she's like a 5 year old kid doing Halloween drag as a mix of Kelly Clarkson, Gaga, Gwen Stefani, Britney. 

I remember Russell brand made a joke about Marrying Britney before the vmas and then at the vmas said he was gonna sleep with Katy Perry and then they were engaged a week later 😂

I'd feel bad for being mean about Kathy but I'm pretty certain she can't read 

So Dua should just keep making bops and not worry about being anything

Kathy should just... Go home man... It's over 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Eh. Most of the people here are Americans. Pretty much outside of the US, she has a decent following in terms of music. And not people forgetting she has like 30 something million monthly listeners :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

Yea I think ppl in this thread are just out of touch with reality tbh

not to mention the “I don’t know what she’s like” argument. Who tf knows or cares about what Bruno Mars is like? As long as dua lipa doesn’t lose all her s** appeal by getting a pixie cut and by making music for conspiracy theorists that listen to post malone, she’ll be fine.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Goten21 said:

Yea I think ppl in this thread are just out of touch with reality tbh

not to mention the “I don’t know what she’s like” argument. Who tf knows or cares about what Bruno Mars is like? As long as dua lipa doesn’t lose all her  appeal by getting a pixie cut and by making music for conspiracy theorists that listen to post malone, she’ll be fine.

PLSSSSS :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

Yeah don't worry about them. They are just hags in their 50s who think that just because they were born in the 90s, they are suddenly superior to people born 1st January 2000 and onwards.

@iAlwaysSingLive didn't lie about dem rose-colored glasses, I am afraid ezgif-3-d001de9d9df1.gif

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Armchairrevolution said:

"I'm pretty certain she can't read"

And I'm pretty certain you don't have a single ounce of manners and respect. The girl literally had been with three labels since she was 17 before landing a spotlight in Capitol, performed while pregnant and have to go through the continuous hate train from narrow-minded people like you. You're disgusting. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, ALBAVEASP said:

And I'm pretty certain you don't have a single ounce of manners and respect. The girl literally had been with three labels since she was 17 before landing a spotlight in Capitol, performed while pregnant and have to go through he continuous hate train from narrow-minded people like you. You're disgusting. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

Oop. You spilled. Making fun of illiteracy isn't that funny either. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green: 

Calm down! A new pop girl get a good album and gays go crazy... “Future Nostalgia” is a really nice album, I like it a lot, but Dua Lipa is not the big thing: Her live voice is correct, she improved her stage presence but it’s nothing out of this world.

Katy is Katy and Dua is Dua, the only thing in common they have is they make pop music and Dua is in that moment when your label want to produce good music for you and pay for promo and spins on the radio, the same moment that Katy has once. 

But I can see a near future with comments dragging Dua from people that used to love her, as it happened with most popstars, blaming her for not doing another “Future Nostalgia”.  

Well, answering to the question: No, she is not the new Katy Perry. Why? Because her music and videos are more mature than Katy’s in her successful moment, she always will  have an open door to make different things. That door that Katy closed with “Prism” and couldn’t open with “Witness” because it was too late for her.

BTW: I think it’s time for Dua to finish this era. She should release the last video and the B-Sides ASAP before people get tired of her as Beyoncé always do with all her albums and her bunchs of unnecessary videos and singles...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block