Will Dua Lipa Become The Katy Perry Of This Generation?

Simply put, no. However, the success that she's had thus far is undoubtedly bound to twindle a bit because that's just the way fame works, but Dua thus far has shown a commitment to making good music more than she's made music for radio airplay. Katy Perry spent a lot of her career playing it safe, and while a lot of bops have come out of that, it's not similar to Dua's approach, so they're not similar I believe. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, B-R-I-T-N-E-Y said:

By the way it reminds me a post from Azealia Banks on Instagram. She said need to stop putting women in war with each other. :katyfrog_perry_upset_um:

Are u indirectly implying I am trying to start a war when I stan both of these women :katyfrog_perry_upset_um:

1 hour ago, Popcornie said:

TD album also scored number one and was the most successfull female album of that year, folklore, evermore and im pretty sure Chromatica too has outsold future nostalgia.

Errr...not really :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

Folklore- 3,800,000

Evermore- 1,862,000

Chromatica- 2,500,000

Future Nostalgia- 4,000,000

Future Nostagia is easily the biggest female pop era of last year and for now this year, until "Happier Than Ever" comes out.

8 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Which she already has, so that is ticked.

na.... maybe new rules but besides that.... . I am talking HITS! Hot and cold, I kissed a girl, Teenage dream, Last friday night, roar, Fireworks, Dark Horse, Part of me, california gurls. hits of real caliber. and just like the others of her musical generation. i am seeing --- none---.

5 minutes ago, breathe_on_me_toxic said:

na.... maybe new rules but besides that.... . I am talking HITS! Hot and cold, I kissed a girl, Teenage dream, Last friday night, roar, Fireworks, Dark Horse, Part of me, california gurls. hits of real caliber. and just like the others of her musical generation. i am seeing --- none---.

She does though have many hits that are up to that caliber. New Rules, One Kiss, Don't Start Now and Levitating are pretty much those hits that you are talking about.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Dreams said:

People in real life don't even care about who Dua Lipa is, she's not that interesting as a celebrity/person. She's really just there. It's payola-core.

They hear Dua Lipa songs on the radio or on Youtube because the algorithm keeps spamming her stuff people but don't really care about who sings those songs, she has the Camilla Cabello syndrome, everybody knew Havana but nobody cared about Camilla.

I've never met a person that listens to Dua Lipa all her fans are just on Twitter or pop forums it's really weird.

This is sooo TRUE!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I think like Katy with Teenage Dream, Dua will have a hard time recreating/maintaining the success she’s had with Future Nostalgia. It’s really hard to maintain that level of success especially in today’s would of streaming and whatnot where people move on to the next thing so quickly. I feel as though Dua like Katy isn’t creating a dedicated fan base because she herself isn’t very interesting...people aren’t really invested in her the artist that just think her songs are cool. I feel as though long term success comes from artists that not only make great music but form a strong connection with fans. Like Britney, Madonna, Janet, Mariah for example they extremely dedicated fans because they formed that connection with their personality/presence as well as their work! 

Valid points made on rather or not people actually like Dua or just her music?…

I never viewed it that way because I feel in love with the music,  so I feel in love with the Artist, I also find her so beautiful (I’m bi so dua call me and bring one of your **** boy toys)  

but now that I think of it, I would probably like future nostalgia regardless of who was singing  it… her voice isn’t at all extraordinary, it doesn’t really stand out, but it does have that distinct deep tone tho but she isn’t the only artist who sings like that.

I will say her Grammy performance blew me away, I saw a full blown pop star on that stage! 

so if it means anything the only way I See Dua lipa maintaining the success she has is if she continues on the route she is on and become a known as performance queen like doja cat is currently doing. Pop stars like Britney who put on an entire show are coming back strong this decade I can feel it, and dua could lead this resurgence if she plays her cards right!

currently I find the only other pop girl who kinda dances is Ariana and that’s more so a cute little 2 step, but ari is known for her voice and people are genuinely interested in her life unlike dua tho so rhat works out in ari’s favor when, she dances it just makes her more interesting…

dua you better be at rehearsal preparing some amazing performances for future nostalgia, she better not let all her success go to waste

get up on that stage and promote girl and slay the show like a young Britney!

Spoiler

Also it wouldn’t be wrong if we attributed  her success on pandemic itself either, because we have to keep that in mind

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

She does though have many hits that are up to that caliber. New Rules, One Kiss, Don't Start Now and Levitating are pretty much those hits that you are talking about.

One Kiss is mostly a calvin harris song. but just like one kiss if compared to we found love or summer its just not as earthshaking. just like levitating (as much as i like the version with madonna) compared to dark horse or hot and cold.

i would wish for a powerful pop girl of celines power but there is just no one able to fill her footsteps, coming

I’d say Dua has been quite consistent. So I’m hoping she will continue that momentum. I think she will have a greater success track record than Katy. After Prism … Katy sorta just fizzled out. Mind you, Katy has (in my eyes) 4 albums out. Dua has 2 and outside her albums, she’s released so many bops. Katy could always have a comeback but she hasn’t done anything too differently to attract a wider net of new fans. So I’m not Inclieed to think she’ll spice up her sound anytime soon, but Katy doesn’t seem to be that bothered. She’s very successful still in her own right. She doesn’t have to dominate the world all the time. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Are u indirectly implying I am trying to start a war when I stan both of these women :katyfrog_perry_upset_um:

Errr...not really :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

Folklore- 3,800,000

Evermore- 1,862,000

Chromatica- 2,500,000

Future Nostalgia- 4,000,000

Future Nostagia is easily the biggest female pop era of last year and for now this year, until "Happier Than Ever" comes out.

Depends what sales u are counting. If you go by pure sales future nostalgia has sold less than all of those albums. She has most streams but she doesnt have good sales at all. Her streams are higher mostly because she released 6 singles when taylor only released one single for each album, lady G had 4 I think so its a lil more fair. highly promoted singles of course gather more streams than album tracks with 0 promootion, because of that stream album sales arent rly album sales because its mostly streams from one song. When u compare the real sales shes No where near gaga or taylor this year, her SPS sales arent near 4 million either, thats not verified by a valid source atleast. Future nostalgia is not as big of an era as teenage dream was, that album is probably the biggest era by any pop girl in this century which is saying a lot. 

• Love 1

She has some bops but I think it’s too early to tell. The public has yet to fall in love with her as a person, and that’s what would keep people interested. Anybody can have nicely produced music and videos, but I haven’t seen much more yet :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Well it's a bit too early to say: she doesn't even have a US #1 single yet, much less 9 like Katy has. Still I do think that her music will get old fast especially since the whole dance-pop trend is clearly another fad that will die out soon enough, as unfortunate as that sounds.

• Like 1

I neither like nor dislike her. But I do agree that (lucky for her) her chart success hasn`t translated to the glamorization of her persona. Few people really care about her personal life (which, I think, for the person is way better, but in terms of "career sucess" it is probably a sign that she has not quite "exploded") and I agree that somehow, her songs could be sung by anyone. But I think that if there is something unpredictable are careers in the business. I would have sworn Katy Perry would have been able to hold on a bit longer to her peak, but no. I would have sworn that Britney was just unstoppable and she was going to ony become bigger, for at least, another 5-10 years of her career. I wouldn`t have expected Billie Eilish to become so jazzy after her stumping, darkish debut album or  Taylor Swift to write such reflective, deep and self-aware lyrics as she did in Evermore and Folklore, given the fact that her only subjects used to be her fights with Kanye West, her teenage heartbreak and her rivalries with other pop stars:jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:. With music artists I am not sure before always gives away the after. Who knows what will happen with Dua.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block