Britney Makes It Into Billboard's 100 Greatest Song Bridges of the 21st Century

2 hours ago, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

What about Everytime?

The bridge is very nice for a ballad, but I do think it has a unique element in it. 

circus and oops are other options that could do the list (Oops wouldn't cause it isn't in the timeframe, but epic bridge).

• Love 2

It’s funny Drivers Licences is #3. Nowadays songs don’t have a bridge because they have to be short, but I feel whoever wrote this article just recently discovered what a bridge is then proceeded to throw in random songs on the list.

I always thought, back in the day, Toni Braxton had best bridges in her songs, especially on her first 2 album. 

Always loved her songs Love Should Have Brought You Home and You Mean The World To Me because of the bridge.

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

Imagine being a little industry plant like Olive and being placed on a top five list just because you were endorsed by your coven leader and certified bully Taylor Swift. As soon as she finds someone new to endorse and befriend she will drop this one to the curb like she always does. Enjoy your five minutes Olive or maybe you’re poised for the long run since now Billboard is on your **** too :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Imagine being a little industry plant like Olive and being placed on a top five list just because you were endorsed by your coven leader and certified bully Taylor Swift. As soon as she finds someone new to endorse and befriend she will drop this one to the curb like she always does. Enjoy your five minutes Olive or maybe you’re poised for the long run since now Billboard is on your **** too :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:

You surely look like a big Taylor Swift fan

Janet Jackson Eating GIF

• Haha 2

This list is a joke, so much recency bias and just trash songs in general.

"Driver's License" is a great song, but the bridge is nowhere near top 5.

Same with the Killer's pick, "Read My Mind" was better choice.  

"Shallow" at #6 over the iconic bridge in "Bad Romance" (which isn't even on the list) is a disgrace.

Dancing on my Own is way too low. Definitely top 10. Way better than Be Mine. 

I could go on and on.....

HIAM is rated pretty fairly. (Off topic, but I'll always be bitter that Britney never took advantage of this sick bridge and had an iconic dance sequence for it. :tiffsniffle_ny_miss_new_york_crying_sobbing_sad_tears:)

Britney has so many songs with great bridges. Toxic should have at least received a mention even if the bridge is all instrumental. It's soooooooooooo memorable. 3 is pretty great too. It's probably the best part of the song.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, Strongest said:

I like the idea of honoring the bridges of pop songs!

It's nice that HIAM's mainstream influence is recognized by Billboard. That style was a bit of a risk at the time, especially for a first single, but Britney brought it

(I was half expecting a song like Oops, which has a dramatic bridge that ends on that held high note and overlaps the chorus at the end - I think called a polyphony - which was a style unique to Max Martin at the time)

Love the whole overlapping melodies thing. It makes for such a powerful end chorus that feels like it's roaring. It just fits together like a puzzle and is so satisfying. :wendy_williams_bop_listen_music:

Oops SHOULD have been recognized by this list. 

imo HIAM is kind of overrated by this fanbase. I personally never listen to it ,even though I don't dislike the song per say. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

I might be a little confused but, isn’t the bridge to Oops dialogue? Just like the bridge in Baby One More Time is the stripped down piano part? I’m not sure a variation on the chorus qualifies as the bridge. But I’m def no expert :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what: 

The bridge to HIAM is definitely the best part of that song. Glad it’s being recognized.

This list is a bit all over the place though. Whenever I give an example of a good bridge, I point to Aaliyah’s Try Again. I think that should be way higher.

Also, does anyone remember “I Do” by Toya? That bridge still pops at 2:03 (the dance break after was added for the video):

On 5/15/2021 at 10:44 AM, jordeezy said:

I feel like this list was made simply to hype the industry's new Billie - Olivia Rodrigo 

Yeah wtf! Driver’s License being number 3? How do you even compare HIAM’s bridge alone to that entire song? This is trash lol. And I’m really not trying to hate on the girl but I don’t understand her popularity. She’s SO boring. 

• Haha 1