Here's why NBC will no longer air the 2021 Golden Globes

• Leader

NBC announced they won't air the 2021 Golden Globes.

In February, a report claimed The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), the 87-person group who decides who gets nominated, does not include a single Black person.

HFPA issued a statement saying they are making a "transformational change" and are "fully committed to ensuring our membership is reflective of the communities around the world who love film, TV and the artists inspiring and educating them." They added that they "understand that we need to bring in Black members, as well as members from other underrepresented backgrounds" and they would "immediately work to implement an action plan to achieve these goals as soon as possible."

Related:

golden-globes.jpg.e7c63d7c3f13c5ff1ae145d278ee7a1e.jpg

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bbbsss said:

does it matter? I thought you shouldn’t be judged based on your skin color 

:jlostare_jennifer_lopez_staring_blink:

It matters in the sense that your perspective on things will be, at least at the beginning, be different depending on what group from the conversation you belong to: the privileged, or the unprivileged.

• Love 3

In other words, we need to start issuing participation trophies just so we can meet our racial diversity quota.

I'm all for ensuring that talent is equally celebrated (no matter gender, race, ***ual orientation, etc.), but it gets a bit ridiculous when your default is "OMG, there are no African American people nominated, it must be racially motivated."

Or perhaps, there weren't any African American performances worthy of celebrating. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

But go ahead...call me racist...

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sia said:

In other words, we need to start issuing participation trophies just so we can meet our racial diversity quota.

I'm all for ensuring that talent is equally celebrated (no matter gender, race, ***ual orientation, etc.), but it gets a bit ridiculous when your default is "OMG, there are no African American people nominated, it must be racially motivated."

Or perhaps, there weren't any African American performances worthy of celebrating. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

I think Hollywood is broke but they have to pretend they are cancelling this for a "noble cause". If they really cared, they would give black screenwriters bigger budgets instead of canceling themselves. 

8 minutes ago, Sia said:

"87-person group who decides who gets nominated, does not include a single Black person" yet you see this as coincidence ?

No need to, you already exposed yourself.

As we say in Spain, None are more blind than those who refuse to see

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, THE_MIKY said:

"87-person group who decides who gets nominated, does not include a single Black person" yet you see this as coincidence ?

No need to, you already exposed yourself.

As we say in Spain, None are more blind than those who refuse to see

So you're saying that only people of color can recognize other people of color? That's interesting because we see self-hating people of color all the time. Perhaps you're blind to the fact that people of ALL races can fight discrimination and it's not required to have a "trophy black" on a panel to gain credibility.

As a Hispanic with a Mexican-born father and a Spanish-born mother, I see how much hate my mom's side of the family had for my father because they considered Mexicans to be dirty, but yes, based on your logic, I should trust my Spanish family more to represent me simply because they too are a minority. Yet, my white friends show more tolerance to my Mexican roots than my Spanish family does.

I'm not blind...I'm actually quite aware...

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Sia said:

So you're saying that only people of color can recognize other people of color? That's interesting because we see self-hating people of color all the time. Perhaps you're blind to the fact that people of ALL races can fight discrimination and it's not required to have a "trophy black" on a panel to gain credibility.

As a Hispanic with a Mexican-born father and a Spanish-born mother, I see how much hate my mom's side of the family had for my father because they considered Mexicans to be dirty, but yes, based on your logic, I should trust my Spanish family more to represent me simply because they too are a minority. Yet, my white friends show more tolerance than my Spanish family does.

I'm not blind...I'm actually quite aware...

If you can tell me where did I say that (quoting you) "only people of color can recognize other people of color" ?

• Super Mods
4 hours ago, bbbsss said:

Oh yeah and they should also include asian, biracial, handicapped, transgender, non binary, plus size people and everything in between. Jesus, the world we live in. 

:jlostare_jennifer_lopez_staring_blink:

I hope you are being sarcastic:jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

1 minute ago, THE_MIKY said:

If you can tell me where did I say that (quoting you) "only people of color can recognize other people of color" ?

"87-person group who decides who gets nominated, does not include a single Black person" yet you see this as coincidence ?"

Clearly you think the panel NEEDS a black person on it to have any credibility or the ability to recognize someone of color. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block