This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Everytime' single in 2004 (May 10)

28 minutes ago, Goten21 said:

NAGNYAW didnt chart because of her radio ban. It had a lot of televised performances during her prime so I doubt it wasn’t at least somewjat known

Yes that is true NAG had the ban working against it and out of the ballads that were not successful, I agree it is the Crossroads tie-in and promo performances that helped make it more known than if it relied on just airplay. Chartwise it peaked in the low 20s on the pop chart in the US.

13 hours ago, zxcvb said:

As great as her label was for promotion for her, the fact is that they are also responsible for what happened as much as Kevin Federline.  (We already know the media has always been garbage.)

People forget she already had a knee injury in March 2004 even before Outrageous.  The burnout/decline was inevitable, and is also arguably reflected in the Everytime video.

I definitely don’t blame Kevin for her downfall. He was a douche and an opportunist but let’s remember it was Britney who asked him on tour with her. She was desperately lonely and was clearly the one chasing him given what we saw on Chaotic. 

I don’t blame her for wanting to rebel out from the system she was working under. She had been worked like a dog for a good 7 years before she had finally had enough. Most normal 23 year olds want to meet someone and find love. They should have let her take a nice long break after ITZ and released the Greatest Hits as normal without any real involvement from Britney (GH tend to sell themselves). Then let her take some time to herself with no interruptions.

I just don’t think that was ever the plan. She was going to keep running this train and her label would have just kept pushing her for album - tour - album - tour.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Frankie8 said:

Yes that is true NAG had the ban working against it and out of the ballads that were not successful, I agree it is the Crossroads tie-in and promo performances that helped make it more known than if it relied on just airplay. Chartwise it peaked in the low 20s on the pop chart in the US.

You also had mediums like TRL. From what I’ve gathered online, people actually considered TRL more relevant when it came to pop music back then

Overprotected peaked at #86 when it was the #1 song on TRL for 14 days and went top 5 in a lot of other countries. NAG debuted at #2 in the UK. You just really shouldnt be looking at britneys chart run in the US from back then to measure how well known her songs were. Statistical success is different than popularity in this case (it shouldn’t be but I think in this case it is)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Goten21 said:

You also had mediums like TRL. From what I’ve gathered online, people actually considered TRL more relevant when it came to pop music back then

Overprotected peaked at #86 when it was the #1 song on TRL for 14 days and went top 5 in a lot of other countries. NAG debuted at #2 in the UK. You just really shouldnt be looking at britneys chart run in the US from back then to measure how well known her songs were. Statistical success is different than popularity in this case (it shouldn’t be but I think in this case it is)

I agree. TRL def boosted Britney's songs to the masses even when chartwise they didn't do well. I only know some chart data for US, so it's good you gave a UK stat I didn't know.

And yes popularity goes alot, because lots of people think Brit had a string of number ones, only to find out otherwise. The US radio ban screwed her over from better peaks during the Britney era.

It's a pop music travesty Overprotected peaked at 86.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

A real gem this song is, as is Britney herself!

spacer.png

And even though the era was cut short, I really do miss it.

There was nothing like ITZ at the time. Britney really did outshine herself in this period of her life. She gave her all. 

Everytime is a masterpiece, a song of hurt, brokenness, and mystery. It makes me cry sometimes just listening to the hurt she spilled out into each lyric. Bless her for all she's done. She only deserves healing and happiness from now on.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:18 PM, Frankie8 said:

I think what was meant was that up until Everytime, Brit didn't have a hugely successful ballad at least not in the US. Sometimes, BTMYH, and Lucky are not ballads imo. The others weren't successful to any point near Everytime, except FTBOMBH sold a million copies, but had low airplay like NAG and DLMBTLTK which didn't even chart.

Everything Britney had low airplay and didn't chart back then. You'd think Britney era was a total flop if you only consider Billboard song charts

• Like 1