This Day in Pop: Britney's Dance Beat is released for the PlayStation 2 in 2002 (May 08)

• Super Mods

britneysdancebeat.jpg.f4762034e2e7fc0225876b48ab8d6567.jpgbdbps2.png

On May 08, 2002, Britney Spears released the PlayStation 2 version of Britney's Dance Beat, which had been previously released for the Game Boy Advance in March. The PC version would be released on June 19 that year.

38072-britney-s-dance-beat-windows-other.jpg

The PS2 version is an enhanced experience in every way from its predecessor, from the graphics, to the quality of the music, and the gameplay mechanics. It also contains footage from her music videos and voice acting provided by Britney herself. It was also the best rated out of the three versions, with 63.29% on GameRankings and 63/100 on Metacritic.

hqdefault.jpg

Story-wise, the goal of the game was also modified. As opposed to the GBA version where you had to help Britney prepare for her tour, it was now the player the one that was auditioning to become her backup dancer, having to defeat several other aspirants.

britneydancebeat_conceptart_vbvPo.jpgbritneydancebeat_conceptart_Y03Ub.jpg

The blurb read:

She's young, beautiful and talented. Her dance moves are as hot as her songs. But only the best dancers can join Britney Spears on her world tour. See if you have what it takes to back her up!

• Featuring Britney Spears, realistically transformed into 3D
  • Choose from a variety of dancers to represent your skills
  • Groove to Britney's hottest songs like "...Baby One More Time" and "I'm a Slave 4 U"
  • Unlock exclusive Britney concert videos and 360º immersive videos that let you control the camera
  • Compete in single and multi-player dance competitions

80e5671891e5e428.png

Just like the GBA game, the songs featured on this one were ...Baby One More Time, Oops!... I Did It Again, Stronger, Overprotected and I'm a Slave 4 U.

Related:

• Love 9

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Participate on Exhale's Top 100 of 2021

NGL I have like 3 copies of this game for PS2 and one for PC. Like 5 years ago I was searching everywhere for it. Finally bought it online. Then immediately after doing that I find it everywhere now, even to this day. And I occasionally buy another one just because it was so hard to find for the longest time I didn’t ever want to be without at least one copy 😂 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
On 5/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, ovoxo said:

The nostalgia this gives me :gobaby_cheering_yes_yas_wow_proud:  I remember spending hours on my giant computer trying to unlock the little behind the scenes video of DWAD

Yessss only I had the PS2 version.

Am I the only one who thinks Britney doesn't sound much like herself in the game?

On 5/9/2021 at 4:34 AM, b42ad said:

You were meant to play this with a dance mat but I’d sit for hours happily playing with the controller, good times 

Oooh, ahead of her timeney. I only ever played it with a controller.