Would Anticipating Be A Global Smash If Released As A Single?

Hey :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

During the early 00's, life according to millennials was generally better and more "fun", The economy was flourishing, pop culture was still reigning at its peak, the first celebration of the new millennium to be broadcasted in history, it was a pre-social media world, it was a good time for everyone, the internet became so big it got into a bubble, and cities were thriving during this era. So all of this happiness, bliss and joy should have been reflected on the music at the time, obviously. Upbeat genres like dance, teen-pop and house music become very popular during this era as well. Heck, even disco had a mini-revival during that time.

So due to the domination of upbeat pop, we saw mainly dance records rule the pop scene of this time. These genres of music were basically popularized by pop acts such as Kylie Minogue and the teen pop era. Then in the years of 2000 and 2001, we saw a variety of dance/disco records completely take over the scene. The Fever era become Kylie's biggest era,  All For You was a #1 record for Janet Jackson, You Rock My World going Top 3 in 23 Charts and so much more.

So would this have been a golden ticket opportunity for Britney Spears to release "Anticipating" as a single during this era? I mean, the song ticks all the checks. It is fun, it is disco, it is dance, it is a good song to bop to, and would easily be successful at the time of its release. Unfortunately, due to her radio ban I don't know how its performance in the US would be, however, it can be guaranteed that it would be pretty much huge internationally. After all, Britney's biggest songs are dance records (ie- OIDIA, BOMT, Toxic)!

So what do you think? lemme know :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Love 5

I always wanted it to be a single. At the time, I didn't like any of the Britney album singles lol The only highlight for me was the Overprotected Remix MV. In 2001, I preferred Jessica Simpson's Irresistible album. 

58945t.gif

Imagine if Britney recorded "Irresistible" and released it as a single! Woulda been so good. That song is a bop. 

Edited by jordeezy
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

I love the song and I think it stood a chance. That's the thing I love about Britney (album) was how versatile it was in terms of sound. Of course Britney was aiming for a more adult audience with Slave but I think a disco-inspired song that could appeal to both her younger fans and older fans/older adults could be a hit.

Edited by Isla
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Isla said:

I love the song and I think it stood a chance. That's the thing I love about Britney (album) was how versatile it was in terms of sound. Of course Britney was aiming for a more adult audience with Slave but I think a disco-inspired song that could appeal to her younger fans and older fans/older adults could be a hit.

Im sorry but what versatility did u hear? It was literally just an adult woman singing disney pop music. Sorry not sorry but britney is her chessiest and ****tiest album to date.:imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

15 minutes ago, SumoCyco2017 said:

Im sorry but what versatility did u hear? It was literally just an adult woman singing disney pop music. Sorry not sorry but britney is her chessiest and ****tiest album to date.:imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

Versatility in that there was influences from different genres across the songs and it could appeal to different people. With this album Britney started to grow up but she also did a few teen pop songs as well so she wouldn't leave behind the fanbase she already established. That's why it was a transitional/coming of age album. 

• Love 4
  • Like 3

I don’t think so. When the album came out it was one of the lesser enjoyed songs by fans and critics. It was too..cartoony and bubblegum for that era of pop music. That was the reason for the remixes of Boys and Overprotected. Had it been on the Oops album maybe it could’ve been released. Club music was very in at the time of the Britney release. I still think I Run Away was one of the biggest missed opportunities of that whole era. 

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, SumoCyco2017 said:

35 minutes ago, Isla said:

Versatility in that there was influences from different genres across the songs and it could appeal to different people. With this album Britney started to grow up but she also did a few teen pop songs as well so she wouldn't leave behind the fanbase she already established. That's why it was a transitional/coming of age album. 

Doesnt the album explore genres like electronica, rock, hip-hop, urban, and much more? It's pretty versatile in my eyes.

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, PZHSB said:

I don’t think so. When the album came out it was one of the lesser enjoyed songs by fans and critics. It was too..cartoony and bubblegum for that era of pop music. That was the reason for the remixes of Boys and Overprotected. Had it been on the Oops album maybe it could’ve been released. Club music was very in at the time of the Britney release. I still think I Run Away was one of the biggest missed opportunities of that whole era. 

But even All For You can be regarded as a cheesy song, yet it was a hit of it's time. And if I'm not wrong, didnt the critics pick Anticipating as the 5th best deep cut of 2001? And like u said, club music was the thing in the time of the albums release, so why wouldnt it have smashed the charts? 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Isla said:

No there were no grown up songs on this album. Hahahahah

16 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

But even All For You can be regarded as a cheesy song, yet it was a hit of it's time. And if I'm not wrong, didnt the critics pick Anticipating as the 5th best deep cut of 2001? And like u said, club music was the thing in the time of the albums release, so why wouldnt it have smashed the charts? 

Critics have never known what was good and what was a pile of dog shi. 

2 minutes ago, SumoCyco2017 said:

No there were no grown up songs on this album. Hahahahah

Critics have never known what was good and what was a pile of dog shi. 

So the likes of Slave, Lonely and Boys aren't 'mature' enough for you? 

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Janet hadn’t released music for a while at that point and was already at legend status so people ate it up. It’s lyrics were “$exy” and edgy for the time. Britney was released a year after Oops so no one was really desperate for new music from her at the time. Anticipation isn’t a bad song, but would never have been a hit. It was too cheesy and Britney already had a radio ban.