This Day in Pop: 'Sometimes' music video premieres in 1999 (May 06)

• Super Mods

Her most visually appealing video when it comes to her looks.

This is my fave video from her cause not only does she look 

ethereally beautiful but also the location is amazing and 

the choreography is cute.

I dont get why she hates it so much when this song 

saved her from being a 1 hit wonder.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
  • 11 months later...

just reminds me how whole world was speculating about her *****🤦🤦🤦🤔

it was also smart to release something different than dance song..

i remember how i always wanted to see the video butnif u didnt have mtv it was hard..i saw it first time in my cousin house 😍😍😍❤️❤️

• Love 1

This remains my favourite video of hers, I remember seeing this for the first time on MTV it's such a cute video and screams 90s too bad Britney don't like this song I know it's cheesy but it's really a good song such summer vibes from it.

• Love 3

love both the song and video! Honestly, I prefer Sometimes (the song) to BOMT, and maybe that has something to do with be burnt out a bit on BOMT, but either way; Sometimes is the gold standard for warm 90s summer day nostalgia.

Obviously the videos do not compare though, BOMT eats and eats. Sometimes is a cute video.

Britney Spears Smiling GIF

• Love 1

One of the videos in which she is most beautiful. Her beauty here is breath-taking.

But the video almost ended her career before she really started. Sometimes I think it was a warning. Also with the Baby song and the album she would have had financially taken care of.She was already a millionaire several times.

Maybe it would have been better if she had only remained a one hit wonder... Yes, she is now a living legend, but what was the price for it...

• Love 1

LOVE this video. I actually think it’s the first one of hers I ever saw in full. On the Disney Channel! I got the CD that spring for my 11th birthday and knew all the songs, but had only seen clips of the BOMT video on TV and the short sample Walmart would play when you scanned the CD barcode under the TV in the electronics section of the store. It took me a while to realize that the BOMT video was actually on the CD itself :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

But this video is so summer vibes ‘99. A few things that strike me about it:

1) This choreo hits hard for an easy breezy ballad. I’m kinda surprised she didn’t just do a sitting video (like FTBOMBH) after her injury, but so glad she didn’t.

2) There’s a different cut of the video I feel like was more common back in the day that didn’t include the very early dance scene and just had more beauty shots at the beginning. I think it’s the version that’s on Time Out with Britney Spears and the one they showed on TRL. Not sure why the other version made it to her official YouTube, but I’m glad!

3) The time between the BOMT video and Sometimes is kinda crazy. It also highlights how long she promoted the album, with her final two videos being released in December and promoted into the spring of 2000 when she was 18. It’s no wonder that material she recorded back when she was 15 felt so young for her at that point, including Sometimes. For fans back in the day, the shift from the BOMT album cover (we had the cute pink one in the US) to Oops in May 2000 was a huge shift! She looked so mature! Oops came at just the right time!

4) That middle eight is one of her best in her whole catalogue! Her voice is so on point!

5) This is one of her most nostalgic songs for me, but also makes me realize just how revolutionary BOMT was. While BOMT redefined the late 90s pop sound, this one sounds much more along the lines of Quit Playing Games with My Heart and As Long as You Love Me by Backstreet Boys. It fit right along side them on the radio. It was probably the right call to update Crazy for the video and push the new pop sound further into the new millennium.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

LOVE this video. I actually think it’s the first one of hers I ever saw in full. On the Disney Channel! I got the CD that spring for my 11th birthday and knew all the songs, but had only seen clips of the BOMT video on TV and the short sample Walmart would play when you scanned the CD barcode under the TV in the electronics section of the store. It took me a while to realize that the BOMT video was actually on the CD itself :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

But this video is so summer vibes ‘99. A few things that strike me about it:

1) This choreo hits hard for an easy breezy ballad. I’m kinda surprised she didn’t just do a sitting video (like FTBOMBH) after her injury, but so glad she didn’t.

2) There’s a different cut of the video I feel like was more common back in the day that didn’t include the very early dance scene and just had more beauty shots at the beginning. I think it’s the version that’s on Time Out with Britney Spears and the one they showed on TRL. Not sure why the other version made it to her official YouTube, but I’m glad!

3) The time between the BOMT video and Sometimes is kinda crazy. It also highlights how long she promoted the album, with her final two videos being released in December and promoted into the spring of 2000 when she was 18. It’s no wonder that material she recorded back when she was 15 felt so young for her at that point, including Sometimes. For fans back in the day, the shift from the BOMT album cover (we had the cute pink one in the US) to Oops in May 2000 was a huge shift! She looked so mature! Oops came at just the right time!

4) That middle eight is one of her best in her whole catalogue! Her voice is so on point!

5) This is one of her most nostalgic songs for me, but also makes me realize just how revolutionary BOMT was. While BOMT redefined the late 90s pop sound, this one sounds much more along the lines of Quit Playing Games with My Heart and As Long as You Love Me by Backstreet Boys. It fit right along side them on the radio. It was probably the right call to update Crazy for the video and push the new pop sound further into the new millennium.

Just wanna say what a quality post this is - as someone nearly the same age, I agree with you on everything.

Totally get why she has always disliked this song, but doesn't mean we can't love it. There is nothing like Britney summer 1999 vibes. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

I think there were several factors for this, first the surgery she had. In February 1999 she injured her knee during rehearsals, pushing back the videoshoot according to this article. So in reality, the single was supposed to come much earlier, and even though it was still far apart from BOMT, it was only a month after the album release, which came out in January.

But there's also the fact that BOMT, the song, was just SO huge, and it was still going strong, so why overlap the singles?

But yeah it's crazy to think how in early 2000 she was technically still promoting her first album :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Like 1