Jesy reveals why she left Little Mix and addresses going Solo

Jesy gave her first ever interview since leaving Little Mix in December 2020.

Jesy said she felt a mix of emotions leaving the band, such as being sad but mentally she felt 'free' and that massive weight lifted off her shoulders. She said she felt an enormous amount of pressure being in a girl group.

Jesy said the hardest part about being in a girl group was constantly being compared to 3 other girls and never feeling good enough.

Jesy revealed the best part of being in Little Mix was everything the girls achieved together, travelling the world and the fanbase.

Jesy says her goals are to perform at the Brit Awards solo and win a solo Brit award.

Jesy talked about mental health and said to talk to people and be kind to yourself and surround yourself by good people.

Now I’m on my own, I can genuinely wear what I want to wear. Before, I was wearing what I thought I should wear, because I was too frightened to wear certain things incase I looked bigger than the others. I’d wear corsets and **** like that to make myself look the size they were. Now, I’m not looking at the screen thinking, “Oh my god, I don’t look as good as them.” I feel free.

It’s the weirdest feeling for me. I feel like I’m going to get upset. [Jesy gets tearful.] I didn’t know that I could be this happy. I thought when I was in the group that it was just normal to feel that way. And because I’d felt like that for 10 years, I just thought, "This is life." Since I’ve left, I feel free. I don’t wakeup with anxiety, thinking, "I’ve got to do a music video today, I need to starve myself." Or, "I need to go on an extreme diet so I can look like the other three." That was consuming me.

I constantly compared myself to the others. Of course, a lot of that was in my head, but a lot of it was past trauma. Even recently, I was still getting compared to them. It’s horrible when you already don’t like something about yourself to then have thousands of people point it out. Now I feel like me. When I look back [at my time] in theband, I genuinely wasn’t me. I can’t believe how miserable I was.

The last music video we did [Sweet Melody] was the breaking point. We’d been in lockdown, and [that had been] the first time I could have a break and be at home around people that I love. It was the happiest I’d ever felt, and I didn’t realise that until I went back to work. I immediately became a different person. I had anxiety. Whenever we had a music video, I put an enormous amount of pressure on myself to try and lose weight. I have a fear of looking back on the camera. If I don’t like what I see, I find it so hard to be in front of the camera and feel amazing and perform.

I’d been in lockdown, and I’d put on a bit of weight but I didn’t care.And [then] they said, "You’ve got a music video in a couple of weeks," and I just panicked. I went on this extreme diet, with bloody shakes, and tried to eat as little as possible. On the day of the Sweet Melody video I had a panic attack on set because I didn’t look how I wanted to look and I found it so hard to just be happy and enjoy myself. I looked at the other three and they were having the time of their life.

I get so jealous, because I want to feel like that and enjoy it, because music is my passion. To have this dream and not be enjoying it because of what I look like, I knew wasn’t normal. 

There’s a scene in Sweet Melody I’m not in, because that’s when I had a panic attack and broke down. I was like,"I just want to go home." I was sobbing in the dressing room. Someone really close to me said, "This has got to stop. You can’t keep doing this to yourself. You’re going to end up where you were before."

I feel like there have been a few people who don’t understand why I left Little Mix, but am now in the studio making music. A lot of people said,“I thought you came out of the band to focus on your mental health?” I never said when I put out my statement that I was coming out of the band to never be in the public eye or perform again, or do music. I said
I was coming out of the band because I genuinely couldn’t deal with the pressure of being in a girl band.

For people to think that I would just stop working completely is crazy, because[for] me, working on my mental health is going to the studio, and creating music that I love. That’s what clears my head and makes me happy. It’s good for my mental health. I couldn’t deal with the pressure of being in the girl group. It wasn’t that I couldn’t deal with the pressure of being in the spotlight. I was constantly compared to three other girls and that mentally drove me to a really dark place, and I couldn’t put myself through that any more.

I need to do things that make me happy now, and people might think that’s selfish, but sometimes in life you have to put yourself first, you have to love yourself, and do what makes you happy.

For me, that was the pinnacle point. I was like, "I need to start taking care of myself now, because this isn’t healthy." It wasn’t nice for the other three to be around someone who didn’t want to be there. So I took a break. I went through a really dark time after the music video. My mum said, "This has got to stop now. I have seen you suffer too much. This has been 10 years of your life." 

For so long, I worried about others and letting people down. The only person I should have been trying to make happy was myself, and I wasn’t doing that. I needed to do it for my mental health, because I know I would have ended up back where I was five years ago, and that’s scary.

Music is my life. It’s so powerful for me. I’m in the studio just having fun. I loved the music I made with Little Mix, but it wasn’t the kind of music I listen to. It just feels so nice to be making music that I love. I don’t know when I’m going to bring it out. I feel really content and happy. It’s the weirdest, best feeling in the world.

FELICITY: Can you give me three words that represented you in Little Mix and three that represent you now?

JESY: In Little Mix: honest, hardworking, sad.

FELICITY: And now?

JESY: Honest, content, free.

FELICITY: What did you do the day after you left Little Mix?

JESY: I was at home with my family, taking everything in on the news. Everyone was talking about it on Lorraine. When I put up my statement, I turned off my comments because I was ****ting myself – I thought, “I’m going to get so much backlash for this.” My sister rang me and said, “I think you should turn on your comments. Everything I’ve seen is really positive.” 

I turned on my comments and just sat in bed and cried because I was overwhelmed with how lovely everyone was being. It was a shock to me. I couldn’t get over how much people were supporting me and understood. I was on a weird rollercoaster of emotions. I felt sad, because it was 10 years of my life that I was giving up. I felt scared, like, “****, what’s going to happen now?”

At the same time, I had glimpses of happiness, of, "I can do what I want now.” I don’t feel trapped. If I wanted to go to the ****ing shop today and eat 10 bars of Dairy Milk, I could, because I don’t have to worry about being on a diet any more. I don’t have to worry about having a music video or doing an interview wearing an outfit that I don’t want to wear because three other girls want to wear it.

FELICITY: And then you feel like you’re being difficult?

JESY: Yeah. And it’s horrible. I felt like I was coming into an environment, sometimes, where people didn’t want me to be there. Sometimes I wasn’t a positive energy because I was so down. When you feel that way anyway, to be around certain people on my team that didn’t want me there was hard.

The full interview:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/a36185652/jesy-nelson-cosmopolitan-uk-june-cover/

jesynelson-cosmopolitan-uk-interview-end

rsz_jesynelson-cosmopolitan-uk-interview-01-copy-1619448474.png.cbbc3780934ad8e1d17c82eeddc52480.png

• Love 6

♫

What’s ironic is that I wish she showed her body off more. I think she’s stunning! It’s so sad she kept comparing herself to her sisters. You would think your bond with them would help overcome any jealousies, but that’s mental health for ya. It can mess with your head and make you be irrational. I hope to see her back. They are all wonderful together.

• Love 6

It's sad she has even had to answer questions like this, she probably had no idea Leigh-Anne was going to announce her pregnancy today and can't suddenly change a magazine coming out on its set date.

E0j1TfhXEAANv1g?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

♫

• Exhale+

I think she and Ally from 5H went trough the same thing.

They were always bullied by the "fans" and haters because they didn't fit stereotypes of beauty. And both of them looked a bit off compared to the others.

And it's a shame because Ally was and still is the sweetest human being ever.

I assume Jess is as well from what I have seen.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Slayer said:

It was bittersweet reading this, sad Sweet Melody music video was the final straw for her but really happy she is happy now.

Tagged the Mixers I could think of off the top of my head!

Thanks for the tag :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

I can understand the Sweet Melody video, if i'm being honest who ever styled Jesys outfit for that did NOT know how to dress her body type successfully. I love the video, but when i saw what they put Jesy in, my heart broke for her :crying4_britney_crying_stages_tears_sad: and i wanted a word with the stylist :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

I'm glad shes feeling happy and healthy, obviously this was written before Confetti released i would of liked to hear her open on it. I think its a fantastic track, but i'd love to hear her praising the girls, like im sure they will when she releases music.

But anyway Go Jesy!

You Got This GIF by MOODMAN

• Love 1
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, MoodRingney said:

the way she keeps saying the “the other three”

🤔🤔

Im not sure how to feel about this yet 

Not being shady but she did refer to them as 'my girls' in the video interview, the video is below. I totally respect why she left the band and full support her.

♫

27 minutes ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

What’s ironic is that I wish she showed her body off more. I think she’s stunning! It’s so sad she kept comparing herself to her sisters. You would think your bond with them would help overcome any jealousies, but that’s mental health for ya. It can mess with your head and make you be irrational. I hope to see her back. They are all wonderful together.

6 minutes ago, Alestaos said:

Thanks for the tag :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

I can understand the Sweet Melody video, if i'm being honest who ever styled Jesys outfit for that did NOT know how to dress her body type successfully. I love the video, but when i saw what they put Jesy in, my heart broke for her :crying4_britney_crying_stages_tears_sad: and i wanted a word with the stylist :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

I'm glad shes feeling happy and healthy, obviously this was written before Confetti released i would of liked to hear her open on it. I think its a fantastic track, but i'd love to hear her praising the girls, like im sure they will when she releases music.

But anyway Go Jesy!

I think it didn't help that right after the video came out twitter was FLOODED with comments saying how Jesy had put on weight again and they started slamming her for her tan! Like she literally turned off 'tags' on instagram and disappeared on social media not long after Sweet Melody came out and only returned to announce she was leaving.

It's so sad how we thought she overcame her struggles but she was still struggling a lot :( 

I'm so happy to hear how happy she is now! I'm excited for what is to come, I hope she gets the success she deserves and we find out more!

I really hope the four reunite one day :sobbing_unbelievable_wow_head_shake_no_crying_sobbing_sad:

• Like 3

♫

Not even trying to make a joke, this was me reading this:

tenor.gif

I can totally understand her feeling under constant pressure to be compared to the other girls and the stress of having to always live up to that. Not to mention, the anxiety of always being under the spotlight and constantly scrutinized. Lowkey, it's kinda like the social media effect on young people these days (always feeling pressure to show their best selves, compare themselves to others), but amplified times a million.

I'm so happy for her that she feels liberated from that kind of mindset, pressure, and scrutiny. It's no wonder she struggled with wanting to be alive. That sounds incredibly damaging and difficult, living like that all of the time. Hopefully, the large majority of people do nothing but uplift her in her new ambitions and don't just assume she pulled a Camila Cabello. 

• Love 2

#FreeBritney

20 minutes ago, Alestaos said:

But anyway Go Jesy!

I didn’t want to say anything, but they did her wrong in that video. No one looks good in an egg outfit. 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Not even trying to make a joke, this was me reading this:

tenor.gif

I can totally understand her feeling under constant pressure to be compared to the other girls and the stress of having to always live up to that. Not to mention, the anxiety of always being under the spotlight and constantly scrutinized. Lowkey, it's kinda like the social media effect on young people these days (always feeling pressure to show their best selves, compare themselves to others), but amplified times a million.

I'm so happy for her that she feels liberated from that kind of mindset, pressure, and scrutiny. It's no wonder she struggled with wanting to be alive. That sounds incredibly damaging and difficult, living like that all of the time. Hopefully, the large majority of people do nothing but uplift her in her new ambitions and don't just assume she pulled a Camila Cabello. 

Honestly it is so sad, the way she had the strength to even stick it out for 9 years is so admirable! 

I wish the trolls and the media did not make her this insecure and depressed :(

I know this interview got you sad but I was legit in tears watching her documentary Jesy Nelson: Odd One Out. She's really had such a tough time and she was alwaaaays the one people would pick on.

I'm happy she's finally happy, she deserves all the happiness in the world after the hell she's been through! I really hope her and the other girls are still good friends as they were SOOOO close. They still seem super supportive:

• Love 2

♫

I always considered Jesy to be beautiful. Little Mix for me represented empowerment for any type of body, race, etc. For me, they were teaching everyone to be comfortable with themselves. 
It’s such a shame that the media and the public shamed her and put her through mental **** for years. I hate that she felt the need to view the other girls in jealousy when she is just as beautiful and talented as all of them.

I wish her nothing but the best. I look forward to her solo music and I look forward to see Little Mix as a trio!!! 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Honestly it is so sad, the way she had the strength to even stick it out for 9 years is so admirable! 

I wish the trolls and the media did not make her this insecure and depressed :(

I know this interview got you sad but I was legit in tears watching her documentary Jesy Nelson: Odd One Out. She's really had such a tough time and she was alwaaaays the one people would pick on.

I'm happy she's finally happy, she deserves all the happiness in the world after the hell she's been through! I really hope her and the other girls are still good friends as they were SOOOO close. They still seem super supportive:

I need to watch her documentary. I'm glad the girls are supportive too!

#FreeBritney

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

There’s a scene in Sweet Melody I’m not in, because that’s when I had a panic attack and broke down.rsz_jesynelson-cosmopolitan-uk-interview-01-copy-1619448474.png.cbbc3780934ad8e1d17c82eeddc52480.png

Is she referring to the "transition scenes" where one girl shifts into the other and then the other? I rewatched the video and I think they're the only scenes without her.

Also, I'm a little ashamed to say that I'm kinda used to see them as a trio now. Watching them as a four-members group felt a little weird :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: :ohdear_britney_glory_dear,_fingers_hand_face_orange_hide_uh_oh: no shade, love Jesy

• Love 1
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, Paolo94 said:

Is she referring to the "transition scenes" where one girl shifts into the other and then the other? I rewatched the video and I think they're the only scenes without her.

Also, I'm a little ashamed to say that I'm kinda used to see them as a trio now. Watching them as a four-members group felt a little weird :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: :ohdear_britney_glory_dear,_fingers_hand_face_orange_hide_uh_oh: no shade, love Jesy

Yes that is the scene she was referring to!

♫

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I think it didn't help that right after the video came out twitter was FLOODED with comments saying how Jesy had put on weight again and they started slamming her for her tan! Like she literally turned off 'tags' on instagram and disappeared on social media not long after Sweet Melody came out and only returned to announce she was leaving.

It's so sad how we thought she overcame her struggles but she was still struggling a lot :( 

I'm so happy to hear how happy she is now! I'm excited for what is to come, I hope she gets the success she deserves and we find out more!

I really hope the four reunite one day :sobbing_unbelievable_wow_head_shake_no_crying_sobbing_sad:

What? Ugh, such trolls. Her tan was hot. She looked fine. :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever:

Im happy for her. I must admit to not fully understanding her reasons until reading this interview. I can completely relate with being unhappy and getting anxiety/panic attacks because of your job and etc...

also, Jesy looked fabulous in the Sweet Melody video. The problem is the outfit person doesn't know how to dress her body type. 

• Love 1