HAPPENING NOW: The California Senate Appropriations Committee is hearing public comment on SB-724 to ensure that conservatees have the right to an attorney of their own choice.

15 minutes ago, halfdressed said:

I thought this was already passed? And if not, will it be by the time Britney appears in court? The timing seems great.Β 
Β 

edit here is the an informationalΒ page with statusΒ https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220SB724

I think the one that was passed was AB 1194! There are currently 3 proposed bills in the making to reform conservatorships Β :unreal_omg_no_way_shocked_wow_surprised:

Each one is broken down here:

https://a28.asmdc.org/press-releases/20210326-asm-evan-low-introduces-bill-implement-much-needed-reforms-californias

I'm so exited about all these changes and the impact of #FreeBritneyΒ :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

30 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

The fact that a conservatee weren't previously able toΒ hire their own attorney is bananas. In the beginning they are absolutely owed that right tho now. Does this mean moving forward, if they weren't able to, they can now?Β 

I am not sure if the change of law will apply retroactively and those already in conservatorship will be able to take advantage of this and choose their own lawyer. I pray that Britney can take advantage of this change.

6 hours ago, dfffff said:

I am not sure if the change of law will apply retroactively and those already in conservatorship will be able to take advantage of this and choose their own lawyer. I pray that Britney can take advantage of this change.

the bill specifically requests that it becomes retroactive to january of 2008 - lol evidently a britney fan wrote that.

(c)Β The Judicial Council shall, on or before January 1, 2008, adopt a rule of court to implement this section.

• Love 1