Do you care about critical acclaim/music critics?

Personally i really don't understand why people care so much about reviews, metacritic and stuff like that :ipass_britney_xfactor_no_words:

It's like some people don't have free will and rely on that to say whether they like an album or not. :mhmnod_yes_agree_nodding:

What makes the opinion of a journalist who is being paid to create reactions and bring traffic to a website more important than your own opinion?

There are so many albums that have been demolished by critics and then praised years later (Blackout for example)

And record labels can totally alter the narrative with payola. Taylor Swift and Gaga have been exposed for paying money to pitchfork and music reviewers in the past :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:music-reviews.jpg.2faea15fa45f17ced211de64a8f2b25a.jpg

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

Most artists love to be praised by their peers and the industry, they already know their fans are gonna love it, but a critical acclaim is something most musical artists love. 

Why do you think most acts focus on pleasing the critics than the fans, with the exception of Britney spears,  most of the critics praised the production and the composition but not her. 

The reviews of her debut single ...baby one more time os a great example of praising the production but not the artist. 

Positions by Ariana grande was mixed, her voice was highly praised, but the lyrics, the production and the overall *** rated lyrics was mostly trashed. 

Definitely not the be all end all, but I do like to see what the critics think. It’s less about the rating/scores though and more about what they write. Sometimes a critic who writes well has convinced me to take a second look at something I’ve written off. I’ve also discovered so many new great artists/albums through https://acclaimedmusic.net who compiles critics’ lists from around the world to create the “most recommended songs and albums of all time.”

That said, the system is definitely flawed. There are always albums and artists that are under-appreciated in their time, and I fully believe Britney is a prime example whose legacy will only grow with time. The system (like the industry itself) is also very s**ist, as you can see by the inclusion of so few women in the all time top lists. Women also tend to pigeon-holed, and critics only seem to respond to “deeply personal” and emotional pieces by women, not giving them the space to do something just weird and innovative like Sgt. Pepper. I do think that is starting to change, which is why we’ve seen Blackout start to get its due.

All in all... it’s complicated :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Dreams said:

Personally i really don't understand why people care so much about reviews, metacritic and stuff like that :ipass_britney_xfactor_no_words:

It's like some people don't have free will and rely on that to say whether they like an album or not. :mhmnod_yes_agree_nodding:

What makes the opinion of a journalist who is being paid to create reactions and bring traffic to a website more important than your own opinion?

There are so many albums that have been demolished by critics and then praised years later (Blackout for example)

And record labels can totally alter the narrative with payola. Taylor Swift and Gaga have been exposed for paying money to pitchfork and music reviewers in the past :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:music-reviews.jpg.2faea15fa45f17ced211de64a8f2b25a.jpg

Answering the tittle of the post: :nonono_britney_nope_head_shake:

Not when it comes to artists that I already listen to, but I do care about reviews when it comes to new artists that I might be interested in getting into since I don't want to waste my time listening to some new artist's album that has a score of 55 on Metacritic; that just assures me that their music will be ****. 

Nah and I hope that’s why award shows are dying. It’s stupid really to try and gauge how good music is. It’s art, and couldn’t be any more subjective. I hate when people rip on me for liking Britney cos “she can’t sing” blah blah.

Some of the greatest music artists of all time aren’t known for their vocal abilities. Blondie, Madonna, the Beatles, none of them have special vocals. However if it speaks to you personally, enjoy it. And let me enjoy mine.

No I don't.:ehidk_britney_um_eek:

I like what I like and couldn't care less about others opinions.

Critics seems to look for the meaning of life in everything, it's so boring. Couple snarky people who think they know it all. Boring...:brityawning_britney_chaotic_sunglasses_tired:

Also, I try to find something good in everything and stick with that.:tongueney_britney_cocky:

• Love 1
10 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

Definitely not the be all end all, but I do like to see what the critics think. It’s less about the rating/scores though and more about what they write. Sometimes a critic who writes well has convinced me to take a second look at something I’ve written off. I’ve also discovered so many new great artists/albums through https://acclaimedmusic.net who compiles critics’ lists from around the world to create the “most recommended songs and albums of all time.”

That said, the system is definitely flawed. There are always albums and artists that are under-appreciated in their time, and I fully believe Britney is a prime example whose legacy will only grow with time. The system (like the industry itself) is also very s**ist, as you can see by the inclusion of so few women in the all time top lists. Women also tend to pigeon-holed, and critics only seem to respond to “deeply personal” and emotional pieces by women, not giving them the space to do something just weird and innovative like Sgt. Pepper. I do think that is starting to change, which is why we’ve seen Blackout start to get its due.

All in all... it’s complicated :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

I so agree with you! I have also noticed many female musicians in the past whom have made spectacular records that were dragged by critics solely because of that era's controversy or so. For example, Stripped is an amazing record that tackles on subjects of female empowerment and abuse, yet the critics rated it a 50/100. If she were a man, I wonder how critically acclaimed "she" would be...There is even a discrimination of music genres. Een though, that is changing nowadays, earlier there was a massive disgust towards pop music so mainly pop artist would get very low ratings on their records. Had Britney's albums been more "respected" genres like rock, I think she would be a critic fave. The critics are basically very fake and superficial and I do not refer to older critic reviews since I know how biased they are. Nowadays, the climate is much better but my opinion honestly doesn't rely on their opinion. In the end, they are music lovers like us except tat they are getting paid for it and are held to a higher standard.

• Love 1

Yes, usually because I agree with them. I’m trying to think of an example of an album that was panned that I loved or vice versa.... hmmm

I love the song “private show” and I think it was criticized in a review. It’s also criticized on exhale. But I love it. But glory the album was overall praised in reviews for her vocals etc.

it’s hard to say since there are pretty much good reviews and bad reviews to every album. Justice got some good reviews, but also some bad ones. I agreed with the bad ones lol. 

I guess I care about reviews of albums as an overall summary, and less about reviews of individual songs. 

Ehhh. Sometimes. I found that many older reviews from the 2000s were very biased and they would be based more on the person + image than the actual music. Nowadays, reviews are more fair but a lot of reviewers at major publications like Pitchfork come across as very bitter and sour people so... I like to form my own opinion and read the reviews after to see if they match. :martini_telling_talking_preaching_couch: But also, music is subjective so :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block