This Day in Pop: 'Sometimes' single is released in 1999 (April 30)

36 minutes ago, sunny_liston said:

I absolutely love this song, but can someone please explain the Mall Tour to me -- this happened in summer '98 right, ie well before Sometimes / BOMT (oct '98) / anything Britney was released to the mass public... So during this tour she was literally an anonymous random 16 yr old girl performing never-before heard songs in malls across America with a small dance team behind her. Why would anyone have even stopped to listen at that time, let alone record this performance? Was the talent/potential that obvious (as is so clear to us now) ?

:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I suppose there were also relatives or friends from Louisiana coming to the shows or something. Here she talks about it:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I suppose there were also relatives or friends from Louisiana coming to the shows or something. Here she talks about it:

Nice - she clearly has fond memories of the Mall Tour. The internet is somehow scrubbed of any specific mall tour-list, here is the best I found with only a couple of dates in the northeast US https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=3&query=artist:(Britney+Spears)+date:[1998-01-01+TO+1998-12-31].

If there is anything that dates Britney - in a good way - to a prior generation it is her ability to achieve relevancy from nothing via a brick+mortar mall tour with zero internet assist. ****** legend

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sunny_liston said:

Nice - she clearly has fond memories of the Mall Tour. The internet is somehow scrubbed of any specific mall tour-list, here is the best I found with only a couple of dates in the northeast US https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=3&query=artist:(Britney+Spears)+date:[1998-01-01+TO+1998-12-31].

If there is anything that dates Britney - in a good way - to a prior generation it is her ability to achieve relevancy from nothing via a brick+mortar mall tour with zero internet assist. ****** legend

I knooow :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:, I've been trying to find accurate info about the dates from that tour. I've seen that page too, but there's no way to confirm it with another source

I really love this song, it's so pretty and sweet. It takes me back to 1999 when everything with Britney was so new and magical. That feeling will never be replicated again. But it bummed me out that Britney said she didn't like this song on the OH Tour. I don't really like when artists say they don't like their old songs. It helped her become who she is today. Love the cute video too.

• Love 1

These were happy times to be a fan. Bomt was still huge but sometimes became the fun weather song. I’ll never forget falling in love with the born to make you happy remix that came on the sometimes cd single. 

On 4/30/2021 at 11:28 AM, Intheblue said:

She said she didn’t like it as a joke, funny enough Justin in one of the early interviews said it’s his favorite song of hers 

I mean there was a bit of truth to it, she hasn’t performed it in almost 20 years lol