Anyone else noticed the voice change between Blackout and Circus?

4 hours ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

The way Circus was mastered definitely benefitted to the lighter, more compressed sound. It’s funny, they actually lowered the quality for Radar for Circus, the 24bit Blackout version vs the 24bit Circus version is an actual joke

Wait are they not the exact same file?? please elaborate!

• Like 2
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Her voice chamged to that of another person on Britney Jean.  Literally

"Blur" is very underrated, it's the best song from Circus with "Unusual You" imo, her voice sounds a bit deeper than usual on Blur. EDIT: Trouble is so good toooooo

Her voice changed in every era.. 

Posted Images

the Blackout vocals are underrated, I've come to appreciate them over the years tbh. The vocal production is fine, the layering with Keri's background vocals is perfect, and she sounds engaged throughout. So there's no real ballad moment on the album, but her voice on Outta this World is just beautiful - there's a lot of variety vocally. Not to mention her voice around that time was seemingly in a really good place, she felt confident with it - evidenced by the unreleased stuff from that era.

I think her voice was the most natural and stunning in the first 4 albums (BOMT, Oops, Britney, ITZ). 
The remaining albums had a couple of tracks with her voice, but the chipmunk style voice started in Blackout with a couple of tracks, which I find strange since that's the album she had the most control over?  But it was also the album we heard some amazing vocals too with her falsettos .

Glory was the closest we got to the original 4's style... but even it was overly-edited in some tracks as well.

I really wish they allowed her to go back to her original voice style. I wonder if they over-edit it a lot because Blackout is a fan-fav and they try to mimic the chipmunk voice from a few of those tracks lol.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

This! Max and Dr. Luke both seem to bring out the chipmunk in her, just look at their work on both Circus and FF, plus Ooh La La! It’s part of why I don’t want her to work with Max again! 

Exactly, I lost hope of him ever trying anything challenging with her and that’s what she craves and why she’s so sick of being a popstar. There are tons of producers out there, she doesn’t need Max or anyone in his posse. Thank god not all the fanbase wants them to get together again as I keep seeing fans bring up how the are magic together, like in the 90s but that ship has sailed and it’s obvious with Circus and FF that it just paint by the numbers with them.

Circus is an overall good album, but it's kind of a filler album.
She did it because she had to. It was more about the business, healing the Britney brand in the public eye, than the actual artistry. 
So yes, it's a bit more generic than most of her work up to that date. 

She had so much going on around her, how could she possibly focus in singing? She'd probably just go into the recording booth and vocalize whatever was asked of her and be done with it. And we can't even be mad at her for that. 
Had they given her a couple more months to pull herself together properly, I'm sure she would've performed much better in her 6th album 

11 hours ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

If you think this is a huge vocal change, try listening to Daydream-Butterfly-Rainbow. It’s like hearing a different person.

I wouldn't say it's a huge vocal change, but she sounds a bit less spontaneous on Circus, Blackout is more genuine

• Exhale+

Strange to see people calling Circus a filler album. It is the album that gave us WomaniZer, Circus and IYSA. Even the album tracks are too good to be considered filler; Unusual You, Shattered Glass and Mannequin. Bonus tracks you say? Amnesia and Trouble say hello... they are two of the best Britney tracks ever.

my only gripe with Circus album is its theme which was already done by her peers Christina and Pink with B2B and Funhouse respectively. Oh, and Mmm Papi has always been problematic. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

Her voice on Circus (the album/ most of it anyways) always had this melancholy sound to it. I know that maybe some might say that’s just me hearing things knowing what I know about her life then, but even back in the day when she had her big “comeback”and for that second where I truly thought she was OK and happy again I still felt the same way about that record. 

It’s still great don’t get me wrong, and it doesn’t ALL sound like it has a sadness to it of course. There are obvious differences to Blackout vocally though. 

Also, the album always sounded unfinished to me, just a little bit right?

1 hour ago, e_ffen said:

Her voice on Circus (the album/ most of it anyways) always had this melancholy sound to it. I know that maybe some might say that’s just me hearing things knowing what I know about her life then, but even back in the day when she had her big “comeback”and for that second where I truly thought she was OK and happy again I still felt the same way about that record. 

No i agree, it's noticeable especially on Unusual You

20 hours ago, Britman512 said:

I mean I believe myas first appearance was on blackout for piece of me

and she recorded a lot of  background vocals for circus so that explains the voice change, along with the heavy use of vocal coders and I don’t think her heart was in to that album.

Another thing I noticed with  blackout actually was kinda of the first time where Britney was being accused of barely contributing to an album and her voice began sounding super auto tuned, which I believe was a stylistic choice that team con took advantage of when needing to easily make an album it seems 

Nope, it's Robyn: 

And with Blackout: I do believe it's mostly her with some backgroundvocals, totally fine. 

But the rest is: Spot on!

They used Myah more and more. 

10 hours ago, Puppy said:

Exactly, I lost hope of him ever trying anything challenging with her and that’s what she craves and why she’s so sick of being a popstar. There are tons of producers out there, she doesn’t need Max or anyone in his posse. Thank god not all the fanbase wants them to get together again as I keep seeing fans bring up how the are magic together, like in the 90s but that ship has sailed and it’s obvious with Circus and FF that it just paint by the numbers with them.

I hope she doesn’t work with Danja again too, he was such a one trick pony! Honestly the only old producers I’d be down for her to work with again are Bloodshy, Mark Taylor, and Mattman & Robin! I’d rather she work with new people and try new things! 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Britman512 said:

I mean I believe myas first appearance was on blackout for piece of me

and she recorded a lot of  background vocals for circus so that explains the voice change, along with the heavy use of vocal coders and I don’t think her heart was in to that album.

Another thing I noticed with  blackout actually was kinda of the first time where Britney was being accused of barely contributing to an album and her voice began sounding super auto tuned, which I believe was a stylistic choice that team con took advantage of when needing to easily make an album it seems 

LMAO, "vocal coders" is not a thing.

Robyn does background vocals on Piece Of Me, not Myah.

Myah did some background vocals on Circus (the song), but she wasn't around before that.

I feel like the shift in Britney's voice has been gradual but it was due to trends. Blackout was clearly Britney having fun with the album and what she wanted to do, and experiment with sounds, textures and vibes. I don't understand why people claim that this album was vocally flawed; songs like Break The Ice and Heaven On Earth are some of her most vocally diverse songs but Circus was a clean attempt at a rebrand, and a return to bubblegum pop sounds.

Circus was less about vocals and more about over all sound and appeal. Singles with simpler, clean melodies with no real room to vocally show off we're chosen so they stick in your ear more, and are easier for listeners to sing. I'd argue that this was also due to the fact that Britney wasn't exactly thrilled with the situation either, but there are moments where Britney, vocally, sounds incredible, even if the songs aren't standouts; My Baby, Quicksand, Unusual You.

Femme Fatale, and BJ were vocal messes for me. It was clear that Britney didn't like this album and didn't wanna engage and the vocals prove that; overly simple and processed. The highlights are songs that were recorded before the concept was ever conceived. 

Glory was a huge step in the right direction but its clear its because her team weren't trying to interfer or else Britney wouldn't work.

4 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I hope she doesn’t work with Danja again too, he was such a one trick pony! Honestly the only old producers I’d be down for her to work with again are Bloodshy, Mark Taylor, and Mattman & Robin! I’d rather she work with new people and try new things! 

it actully was supposed to happe for B10. galantis (who are Bloodshy and Cathy Dennis) Submitted songs for B10

50 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Glory was a huge step in the right direction but its clear its because her team weren't trying to interfer or else Britney wouldn't work.

I always speculated the reason Glory took SO LONG was due to them pushing her in a direction she didnt like and her simply saying NOPE ! hence Pg, Liar, Clumsy, SITS. the aftermath was her direction because she just wouldve sat there and not worked otherwise. she’s been FED up now with being a workhorse since early 2015.