Is ''Britney Jean'' Britney's FIRST flop era?

Musically Blackout wasn’t the huge success it could have been. It flopped hard performance and promo wise. 
I wouldn’t call the era a flop though because she was still basically everywhere. And looking back Blackout it being praised by fans and critics. and the era turned into the successful Circus era quickly. (It didn’t really damage her because of the comeback narrative. )

For BJ it feels like the era didn’t necessarily started as a flop at all but it sure feels like the era was the reason for flopping afterwards. I feel her popularity went a bit downhill during the era. At a fast pace. But it’s not like she was a flop herself. She still sold Vegas shows

Britney Jean era was very hyped in the beginning. There was a countdown on her website, she was serving looks after a bit messy FFney, Scream and Shout success, her twitter posting a "Blackout 2.0" message... It was wild sometimes.

And therefore, there was a big disappointment, one led to another one actually.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like a lot of us didn't want her to do Vegas before it even started :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Yup. You can't really call Blackout a flop era, when in the end it still had Gimme More which is one of the most acclaimed and successful pop hits of the 2000s and still holds relevance to this day among the new generation. Whereas for the album, the record still debuted at #2 (would have been #1 had Billboard not sabotaged her :liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap:) with 290k copies sold, and the album sold over 500,000 copies internationally. Blackout overall sold 4.5 million copies, was recognized as the 5th Greatest Album Of The 2000s, Is one of the most recognized pop records of all time, and is a stan fave as well.

Whereas for Myah Marie Jean..... :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

18 hours ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

till very relevant in 2013 and WB had a lot of hype along with the launch of her Las Vegas residency 

The delusion FVzXNWu.gif

The only thing that saved 2013ney was her looks and POM FVzXNWu.gif

The last era that felt "complete" was Femme Fatale , it actually had a "true" exploitation with 4 music videos and a few performances on national TV

Britney Jean is a bootleg mixtape that served as a promotional tool for the Vegas residency, it's not an album

Glory is a Selena Gomez/Julia Michaels rejects album that had one great music video which is Slumber Party but other than that it's nothing special

Still, after Circus all her albums felt very cold and impersonal (yes even Glory)

I think she should work with Bloodshy & Avant again

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Blackout2006 said:

The delusion FVzXNWu.gif

The only thing that saved 2013ney was her looks and POM FVzXNWu.gif

Sweetie I remember the BJ era quite vividly FVzXNWu.gif

Work ***** had a lot of hype and I remember my local friend group being really excited for it at the time. Also the EDM community was going crazy after the release of WB. Her true first ‘flop’ era was Glory considering the lead single literally came and went FVzXNWu.gif

• Haha 1
Just now, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Sweetie I remember the BJ era quite vividly FVzXNWu.gif

Work ***** had a lot of hype and I remember my local friend group being really excited for it at the time. Also the EDM community was going crazy after the release of WB. Her true first ‘flop’ era was Glory considering the lead single literally came and went FVzXNWu.gif

WB is exception but that was the only big thing about that era FVzXNWu.gif

• Like 1
On 4/28/2021 at 4:18 AM, Roger said:

"There will be a performance in the form of a music video" -> Only Britney would say such a thing :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao:

WB was shaping up to be a big hit but the desert performance ruined the chances of success that era.

When did she say that? 

Agreed, but there is still an iconic song that came out of it. General public knows work ***** quite well and it’s associated with Britney. 

glory on the other hand- not sure anybody in the GO could name Make Me or Slumber party. 

• Like 1

I mean BJ and Glory can both be argued to be flop eras, but you can also argue for them being relatively successful I guess.

WB has become one of her newer classics even though it was only a moderate hit.  POM was part of the BJ era and the first several legs of the residency were completely sold out and she won the Best of Las Vegas multiple times.

POM was also a big part of the Glory era.  While the Vegas portion wasn’t selling as well around this time (it still did sell great) when she did the international tour, if I remember correctly, it was pretty much sold out.  The Piece of Me Tour in the US and Europe also did really well with many dates (esp in Europe) completely selling out.  Glory also had quite a few resurgences, getting to number one on iTunes years later and getting a deluxe edition 4 years after its release...😂

But yeah, in the generalized sense that we’d consider an era a flop...album sales/single performances/etc argue that they were flop eras, but the amount of money she brought in during those two eras says differently.

The BJ era will always be a flop to me for clearly obvious reasons.

• Super Mods

DUH lol

Yeah that was definitely her first flop.

And I blame Perfume for it cause if she didnt release it, it probably would've done better.

Its not usually good to release a ballad as the second single, usually its until the 2nd or 3rd single.

She should've released Til Its Gone or Body Ache instead

• Haha 1

Blackout was a flop. Britney was popular but it broke her strike of #1s. Britney could've been like the only female artist with 7 number one debuts in 2011. Gimme more was a hit and Piece Of Me was the most watched music video in Youtube at the time, but streams weren't being counted in 2007. If the blackout era happened in 2021, both Gimme More and Piece of me would've been #1s based on their streams only. But well, it was a different time

Now in 2013 britney's popularity WAS down, S&S (November of 2012) debuted at #12 and fans were melting down, it became a hit because of the GP. Britney's image was severly damaged after FF and The X Factor didn't help. You add that to the fact that there were 0 performances, britney's interviews were the most boring thing in the entire world and a bad album and you have... well, what happened. The saddest flop ever. First them (her team and britney herself) killed the gp hype, and they ended the fans hype once the album was out. Also, the alien demo leaked, she was locked up in las vegas (literally, her contract at the time didn't allow her to perform anywhere else) and that basically summarizes it. 

As someone here said, britney's music career was basically in the hands of her die hard stans and if the album is bad.. well they're not gonna support it. There's a reason why glory was not only good but also britney was performing everywhere, she even did the VMAs and Carpool Karaoke. Glory was the first time britney was putting efort since 2009, the fans were there for it too, but the gp just wasn't.

It won't be easy for her to chart high if she ever releases music again, unless they apply some major chances to her image in the public's eye. 

Blackout was a flop initially but with time that label was dropped. Same for BJ and WB, only with time was it clear that WB was a hit and a new career staple. 

As much as I love Glory it too is a flop and sadly remains so to this day. To be fair to Glory though; it’s about 20yrs into her career, was following the near-career halting mess that was Basic Jingles, and had little to no promo and botched singles. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/28/2021 at 5:41 PM, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

No Glory was FVzXNWu.gif

She was still very relevant in 2013 and WB had a lot of hype along with the launch of her Las Vegas residency whereas during Glory, the general public literally didn’t care nor did they know she was releasing music (and I don’t blame them since the lead single was underwhelming and the music/visuals were very sub-par that era) FVzXNWu.gif

The residency might've been successful but Britney Jean flopped also Britney's residency was still going on in 2016 and she was relevant so if Britney Jean wasn't a flop era neither was Glory

• Haha 1