This Day in Pop: Los Angeles declares April 25th as Thalia's International Day in 1997

thaliaday.jpg.ce34282ca329891d136b54dcbe59b305.jpg

On April 25, 1997 the Los Angeles City Council decreed that every April 25, the International Day of Thalia would be celebrated in the United States, as evidence of the Mexican singer's growing popularity among the Latino community in the country, after her successful telenovelas María Mercedes (1992), Marimar (1994) and María la del Barrio (1995), as well as her music career, especially her platinum-certified album En Éxtasis (1995).

Later that year, she would release her fifth studio album Amor a la Mexicana, featuring the international hit of the same name, as well as other tracks such as Por Amor and Mujer Latina.

Earlier that year, she had released her first compilation album, Nandito Ako, exclusive to the Philippines where she had gained huge popularity because of her soap operas, causing a commotion in the country the first time she visited them. Nandito Ako included some songs in Tagalog, the second spoken language in the Philippines, including the opening theme of María la del Barrio, and it went on to become one of the best selling albums of all time in that country, receiving multiple platinum certifications.

Thalia, now 49, has remained active through the years, releasing a total of 16 studio albums and over 70 singles.

One of her latest hits was No Me Acuerdo ft. Natti Natasha, released in 2018.

Related:

• Love 3
  • Content Curators

So proud of her and everything she's accomplished, you can tell she truly loves her career and I love that about her.

She's probably the only singer who's constantly giving her fans something. 

giphy.gif

Amor A La Mexicana is one of my fave albums ever. I know every single word to those songs.

Que viva nuestra reina Thalia!

• Love 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

so in another episode of "finding Britney Spears when and where I least expect it", this interview randomly popped up on my youtube feed, and they ask Thalia about the Britney and Madonna kiss, and then Thalia also said that she met Britney before, at a Madonna concert, of all places. Then she mentions she's gonna perform at the same radio festival as Britney later in the year.

It turns out Thalia opened the KIIS-FM Jingle Ball in 2003, I had no idea lol

thalia-during-the-2003-kiis-fm-jingle-ba

Britney-Spears-26a.jpg

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block