Give Argentinian popstar J Mena's "Flor de Involución" song and video a try!

Hey Exhale and pop lovers! I'd love to share this with you all, I think you might like it...

I'm from Argentina, and even though we don't have big quality popstars here, lately our women are STEPPING UP! Our biggest popstar here down south in Latin America is, NO DOUBT, Natalia Oreiro, but she's from Uruguay, a neighbouring country (she lives in Argentina, though). My favorite from my country is Lali (I mean... This is perfect: Lali - LALIGERA (Official Video)), but today I'd love to show you the latest single from another artist: J Mena (that's her artistic name, but she's known as Jimena Barón). She is/was mainly an actress. She's cool, and a very smart feminist, but suuuuuper controversial, pretty exhausting if you ask me.

ANYWAY, less than a month ago she released this song and video and omg I.LOVE.IT. It's in Spanish, and maybe many of you won't understand the lyrics (you can read them below) and all the story behind the song, but give it a try!! It's definitely disco inspired (it kinda gives me Dua Lipa's "Break My Heart" vibes at times, not sure why). I think it's a chill but fierce and very well produced song (I also loooooooove the video!):

LYRICS (in Spanish):

Spoiler

(VERSE 1:)
Me quedé, traté...
Hice casi todo bien
Busqué y encontré
Que aquí no hay nada que entender (entender)

(BRIDGE:)
Tú sí que bien sabes sorprenderme
Qué bueno al fin volver a verte
Para darme cuenta que...

(CHORUS:)
El tiempo pasa y ya no sos la misma mierda
Después de tantos años cosechás tu siembra
Que me compartas, si esto es un honor
Gracias por la invitación, flor de involución

(VERSE 2:)
Me tenté (me tenté), lo pensé (lo pensé), hice casi todo bien
Lloraste y dudé, casi que te consolé
Y ahora me doy cuenta que...

(BRIDGE)
(CHORUS x2)

(BREAKDOWN + OUTRO x3:)

El tiempo pasa
La misma mierda, la misma mierda
Gracias por la invitación

Que me compartas
La misma mierda, la misma mierda
Flor de involución

Also, the single art is phenomenal:

ZQQYKTLBFFDRFATN6ISQZ5ZT4I.jpg

Foto-Promo-760x600.jpg

Actually, she has some pretty awesome graphic design... This is from one of her previous singles, "La Cobra" (j mena - La Cobra (Official Video) (before you say it YES I KNOW, part of the video is a rip-off of Shakira's "Whenever, Wherever"... Not a bad reference, though). Look inside the cobra's mouth omg... I am dead:

5cd6e0c4f17ff.png

Anyway, I don't follow her career but "Flor de Involución" is AMAZING! Even though she says "mierda" (=sh/t) many times in the chorus (how very Ariana of her), it's a pretty sophisticated song considering her personality and her previous releases. I hope you enjoy it!!

Please let me know what you think?

JMena.thumb.JPG.5364dbd85519c1ca57944b8b34bf3160.JPG

Edited by Midnight
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
  • Content Curators

You and @Style. brought the bops today :urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed:

Loved the song and the video.The choreography is so simple yet so graceful. 

I'm keeping this one. I really enjoyed learning about her, thanks for posting @bitbitboi

I love when you guys share music from the countries you are from.

Edited by Midnight
  • Love 2

I wanna be there when you touch fire

12 hours ago, Midnight said:

You and @Style. brought the bops today :urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed:

Loved the song and the video.The choreography is so simple yet so graceful. 

I'm keeping this one. I really enjoyed learning about her, thanks for posting @bitbitboi

I love when you guys share music from the countries you are from.

Such a sweet reply! Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it <3

You're right about the choreo! Many elongated moves, kinda like in ballet. And did you see the part in which Jimena grabs another dancer's face and "puts a smile" on her with her hands? haha

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
40 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

Such a sweet reply! Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it <3

You're right about the choreo! Many elongated moves, kinda like in ballet. And did you see the part in which Jimena grabs another dancer's face and "puts a smile" on her with her hands? haha

Yes at 2:24 haha.

Blasting this out loud right now :groovin_dance_clap_alien_monster_party_costume_Halloween_spooky_scary: and it's even better today.

• Love 1

• Content Curators
9 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

haha yaaaaaaaaaaaaaass! I love the bass throughout the song

I love how it has a dark vibe without being depressing and how it transitions into the dance disco inspired sound.

It's such a great creation, they did a great job here.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Mmdellavecchia said:

I am from Argentina as well and love this song. I liked her previous releases but this has to be my favorite after La Cobra. She's a big influencer in our country. 

This song is AMAZING! I'm glad you love it too!!

59 minutes ago, Ezequiel said:

Qué bueno ver otros argentinos por acá!

J Mena la rompe

Sí!! (((ABRAZO GRUPAL)))

Qué lindo encontrarlos a los dos! <3

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

It's ok. I feel like they did it better.

They are great but that's such a different single... It's a collaboration, and in a totally different style, and a party anthem really. J Mena's song is a (mid-tempo?) disco song about a very personal yet public past relationship.

And I love INNA but what does she have to do with this thread? Is she from your country?

6 hours ago, ILuvMe said:

Never thought I'll see a J mena post here :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

Hide contents

Song's a cute BOP tho :lollipop_britney_sucker_dancing_party_2012: but she's so problematic that it makes it hard to support her, at least for me. Y que copado ver a varios argentinos acá :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

jaja tal cuál, she's hard to swallow sometimes... Pero la canción es genial.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

They are great but that's such a different single... It's a collaboration, and in a totally different style, and a party anthem really. J Mena's song is a (mid-tempo?) disco song about a very personal yet public past relationship.

And I love INNA but what does she have to do with this thread? Is she from your country?

It’s a good effort. I’m just saying there are some other great bops out right now worth checking out. But I could be biased. 

3 hours ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

It’s a good effort. I’m just saying there are some other great bops out right now worth checking out. But I could be biased. 

"a good effort", I LOVE hearing that from music lovers!

But I think it's so sad when an artist gets sophisticated even in the slightest, or polishes their sound, and then that's when people stops paying attention ugh... That happened to Britney with "Glory"... :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

3 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

"a good effort", I LOVE hearing that from music lovers!

But I think it's so sad when an artist gets sophisticated even in the slightest, or polishes their sound, and then that's when people stops paying attention ugh... That happened to Britney with "Glory"... :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

Well you know, your demo graphic changes all the time. Glory is a very mature album and it could appeal to new fans if she released Man on The Moon for example. Slumber Party and Make Me are too ***ual for young fans compared to Baby and Oops. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

Well you know, your demo graphic changes all the time. Glory is a very mature album and it could appeal to new fans if she released Man on The Moon for example. Slumber Party and Make Me are too ***ual for young fans compared to Baby and Oops. 

I know what you mean, it must be hard to be an artist and try to appeal to everyone: your old fan base, the possible new followers, while fulfilling your need for creativity, and a new sound for longevity! I guess in the end it all comes down to actually really loving that artist/person and not just one album or song or video. Once you click with someone, you're on for the long ride.

PS: I think "Slave" and "Boys" are waaay more s/xual than "Slumber Party" and "Make Me"! Like, I lost my virginity to Britney first.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

I know what you mean, it must be hard to be an artist and try to appeal to everyone: your old fan base, the possible new followers, while fulfilling your need for creativity, and a new sound for longevity! I guess in the end it all comes down to actually really loving that artist/person and not just one album or song or video. Once you click with someone, you're on for the long ride.

PS: I think "Slave" and "Boys" are waaay more s/xual than "Slumber Party" and "Make Me"! Like, I lost my virginity to Britney first.

haha totally! All valid and insightful thoughts here. Way tamer, but it isn't on the same calibre as its predecessors like Baby and Oops. Her trajectory of sales and popularity went down after her second album (for a variety of other extraneous reasons too - I know the whole radio boycott thing). My point is, her momentum had died trying to figure out her sound and footing in the industry again. Which is fine. But what rings true is that ... when she released Toxic, we saw that resurgence in popularity again. A video/song that wasn't overtly ***ualized. Womanizer and HIAM ... same thing. Even Work ***** is tongue n cheek. I'm not trying to force anybody to fit a certain mold, but I feel its a nice balance between pleasing her old fan base and attracting a wider public audience. Taylor Swift, for example, may play it too safe, but she has sustaining power whereas Britney is either a hit (and its a big HIT, am I right?) or miss. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

haha totally! All valid and insightful thoughts here. Way tamer, but it isn't on the same calibre as its predecessors like Baby and Oops. Her trajectory of sales and popularity went down after her second album (for a variety of other extraneous reasons too - I know the whole radio boycott thing). My point is, her momentum had died trying to figure out her sound and footing in the industry again. Which is fine. But what rings true is that ... when she released Toxic, we saw that resurgence in popularity again. A video/song that wasn't overtly ***ualized. Womanizer and HIAM ... same thing. Even Work ***** is tongue n cheek. I'm not trying to force anybody to fit a certain mold, but I feel its a nice balance between pleasing her old fan base and attracting a wider public audience. Taylor Swift, for example, may play it too safe, but she has sustaining power whereas Britney is either a hit (and its a big HIT, am I right?) or miss. 

ugh absolutely! "Slave" was too in your face... I looove it, but I remember having a hard time back them as a fan to process ALL those changes all of a sudden... Then she found a sort of middle ground with "Toxic", like you said.

Now about Taylor omg don't even get me started... Taylor obviously adores music, but I feel like her business persona takes AT LEAST half of her creative process, whereas Britney is all impulse and instinct and who cares what others think. Totally different personalities, totally different results.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block