Why wasnt In the Zone nominated for Album of the Year

11 minutes ago, Rick101 said:

You do not know how much Viacom/ MTV footage I have. My favourite era of music would probably be this period, particularly 2001-2004 for hip hop and pop especially 

I bet you we could make an hour long video on this!

Back in 2017, I started documenting some of the most important songs from the era but stopped at around the year 2000 cause I just got so busy with work and life. The West-Coast/East-Coast feud, the rise of ska-punk, pop punk, super producers, techno/trance and its transition into the US, the birth of neo-soul, the after effects of Nirvana and the post-grunge genre, the Telecommunications act of 1996, and so so so much more. It would be an amazing docu-series if it came to fruition. :yesplease_yas_agree_preach: We really were living in a fever dream then when it came to artistic expression, escapism, musical diversity/innovation/inclusivity and didn’t even know it. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Rick101 said:

am in the midst of fighting my own kinda conservatorship w my parents hhhh

You should seek Lisa McCarley if you ever need to hire any legal advisors regarding probate court, even if she specifically doesn't do legal work in your state, I'm sure she can point you in the right direction if you ever need it. :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

Also say it with me, if a judge tries to dismiss your attorney, stick up for yourself. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

We really were living in a fever dream then when it came to artistic expression, musical diversity/innovation/inclusivity and didn’t even know it. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

Y'all were so lucky. :crying4_britney_crying_stages_tears_sad:

So unfair that my parents decided to wait to create new life until after they were married, I am still internally furious for them not birthing me prior to 1999 when Britney came to my city on tour. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

• Haha 2
Just now, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Y'all were so lucky. :crying4_britney_crying_stages_tears_sad:

So unfair that my parents decided to wait to create new life until after they were married, I am still internally furious for them not birthing me prior to 1999 when Britney came to my city on tour. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

In my case I didn’t start getting into Western music until around 2004 when I was 9. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:  Of course, as a 90s/early 00s baby, you subconsciously remember a lot of the music you hear from childhood but I didn’t start paying attention until when that era was coming to a close. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

In my case I didn’t start getting into Western music until around 2004 when I was 9. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:  Of course, as a 90s/early 00s baby, you subconsciously remember a lot of the music you hear from childhood but I didn’t start paying attention until when that era was coming to a close. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

Ah. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

What music did you listen to prior? :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

27 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Back in 2017, I started documenting some of the most important songs from the era but stopped at around the year 2000 cause I just got so busy with work and life. The West-Coast/East-Coast feud, the rise of ska-punk, pop punk, super producers, techno/trance and its transition into the US, the birth of neo-soul, the after effects of Nirvana and the post-grunge genre, the Telecommunications act of 1996, and so so so much more. It would be an amazing docu-series if it came to fruition. :yesplease_yas_agree_preach: We really were living in a fever dream then when it came to artistic expression, escapism, musical diversity/innovation/inclusivity and didn’t even know it. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

I just wrote out an entire detailed response w all these lonks to various music and I just am so upset because my internet didn’t let me send it 

3 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

The co-writer on Everytime is confirmed to have just given lyrical suggestions.

All accounts report Britney being the one who actually composed the melody.

True. I'm just pointing out that the best confirmation is from Britney herself demonstrating that she can write more than one melody on a musical instrument ON HER OWN...

(1:50)

• Love 1

Wasn't there a lot of competition at the time? I remember Green Day, Alicia, Kanye and Usher having massive critically acclaimed albums that were nominated during that eligibility period, plus at least a half dozen other popular albums that were huge at the time as well. 

49 minutes ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

I really feel like In The Zone’s fate would’ve been different if Toxic was the lead single. As much as I love Me Against The Music, having Toxic as the lead single would’ve really given a big start to the era and I actually believe the album would’ve sold more!

But toxic was released around the album released soo 

1 hour ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

I really feel like In The Zone’s fate would’ve been different if Toxic was the lead single. As much as I love Me Against The Music, having Toxic as the lead single would’ve really given a big start to the era and I actually believe the album would’ve sold more!

There's no doubt in retrospect, Toxic simply should have been the lead single.

Yet, Jive didn't even want Toxic as the lead single.  They wanted Outrageous.  So Toxic was never going to be the lead single.  And Britney of course got injured on the Outrageous video (her second knee injury that same year)

At the end of the day, Britney was still signed to a controlling record label despite the many great songs and promotion.  At least a song she composed became a single.

2 hours ago, zxcvb said:

Yet, Jive didn't even want Toxic as the lead single.  They wanted Outrageous.  So Toxic was never going to be the lead single.  And Britney of course got injured on the Outrageous video (her second knee injury that same year)

Actually, one of the higherups at JIVE wanted Toxic to be the lead single. The reason they agreed to do Me Against the Music was because of the Madonna collab, but Toxic was being considered

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Actually, one of the higherups at JIVE wanted Toxic to be the lead single. The reason they agreed to do Me Against the Music was because of the Madonna collab, but Toxic was being considered

I’m just happy Madonna didn’t hear Toxic before she heard this:

I can guarantee britney wouldn’t know how to say no to Madonna ruining toxic hhh

1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I'm sure at least one of the higher ups wanted Toxic to be the lead single, and it was probably considered; but was it ever the lead???

"Ms. Spears fought Jive Records over the R. Kelly song, which the label had hoped would be the first single. Instead, she successfully lobbied for her collaboration with Madonna, ''Me Against the Music.''

"It is a pure pop CD, which is not a formula for success in a time when the top-10 singles charts are dominated almost entirely by rap and R & B"

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/02/arts/music-growing-up-britney-did-it-again.html

8 hours ago, zxcvb said:

And she actually composed one of the singles on her own.  (And for anyone doubting this, no offense to Annet Artani but the burden of proof is on her, and NOT Britney.)

No badmouthing any of the albums, but today, In The Zone is pretty much artistically as good as most of these now.

I know but I don’t think this is a case of ITZ being robbed, there was a limit of 5 albums and it would’ve been very tough to remove any of these from the list. If it was eight albums like today, ITZ definitely would’ve made it.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, danny1994 said:

I know but I don’t think this is a case of ITZ being robbed, there was a limit of 5 albums and it would’ve been very tough to remove any of these from the list. If it was eight albums like today, ITZ definitely would’ve made it.

True.  I will just add that I don't believe that Toxic was ever going to be the lead single, based on what was written at the time. (Maybe it was considered, but it wasn't the front-runner.)

"Ms. Spears fought Jive Records over the R. Kelly song, which the label had hoped would be the first single. Instead, she successfully lobbied for her collaboration with Madonna, ''Me Against the Music.''

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/02/arts/music-growing-up-britney-did-it-again.html

You can't really forget that during this period hip hop was dominating the music scene, so Outrageous did make sense to be the first single (even though we all know it should have been 'Toxic'.)