Shakira could reportedly face jail-time for tax evasion charges

She was living in Barcelona, has to pay all the taxes, end of the story. She won't be going to jail because all rich people can make a deal with the government. Of course she had a tax advisor and they advised her to lie and say she was living in the Bahammas.

The investigation was super detailed, they tracked every movement she made during those years, they visited all the places she visited and questioned everybody that had contact with her, doctors, hairdressers, nannys, also paparazzis that took photos of her...

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Starting an organization at age 18 when she was barely famous and then continuously working at it for the next 30 years isnt for publicity 

and if u had any brains u would look urself and see that she wasn’t living there at the time and it’s been proven

I think you are too good hearted. It is common knowledge celebrities create their own foundations because it is a way to deducte taxes. You can get up to 60% tax deduction depending where you live. They do so because charity has a name, they can link their name to the donations. That is why many of them have charities but then they are registered as citizens in Tax Haven countries such as Bahammas, Panama, Switzerland etc.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lurker93 said:

not going into the merit of “paying taxes” itself, but why move to the other side of the Atlantic to be hiding money from authorities? She’s rich, but still a foreigner there... doesn’t she have a decent legal team to advise her against doing it!??! 

she does have a team, and she's obviously done what they advise her.

This situation is not new, since 2018 they've been accusing her of this, and since the very first moment she was willing to pay the initial amount they claimed, but apparently the dispute keeps going on.

1 hour ago, Sea flower said:

She was living in Barcelona, has to pay all the taxes, end of the story. She won't be going to jail because all rich people can make a deal with the government. Of course she had a tax advisor and they advised her to lie and say she was living in the Bahammas.

The investigation was super detailed, they tracked every movement she made during those years, they visited all the places she visited and questioned everybody that had contact with her, doctors, hairdressers, nannys, also paparazzis that took photos of her...

that's what they're gonna clear up in July. The investigator's report is very detailed, however is not exempt of errors/lies/assumptions.

For example, in 2014 the investigator says Shakira remained in Spain from July until October, yet there are candids of her in Paris in September, and that doesn't show up in her report. And just like that, there may be many other instances.

From the three years they're fighting, Shakira would only have to prove she was somewhere else a certain amount of days to stay within the 184 days mark:

• 2012: 62 days
  • 2013: 26 days
  • 2014: 59 days

Tax havens per se aren't illegal if they comply to each country's laws. Apparently Spain doesn't consider The Bahamas a tax haven, but technically Shakira wasn't breaking any rules had it been any other country, or any other tax haven. In theory, if her tax residency was Bahamas, or any other country, she simply can't pay taxes to both her legal residency (Bahamas) and her "actual" residency (Spain or anywhere else) or else all these people would be doomed paying double taxes. Of course, Bahama's tax rate is non-existent, but that's another story. So that's part of what they have to clarify as well, Spain's position towards the Bahamas residency, because the investigator is pulling receipts that she was in Spain, but Shakira has her documentation backing up her residency was Bahamas (independently of whether she was physically there). So Spain simply doesn't care about this document.

There's more stuff I don't know/understand, such as why was she allowed in Spain in the first place? I suppose she used to travel as a tourist? So if someone travels several times a year making up more than the 184 days, are they accountable to pay taxes even though they're not legal residents, but legally traveling as tourists? Would they prosecute her too if instead of Bahamas her tax residency was another country? Would they investigate the same someone non-rich in her same circumstances?

Why did they wait until 2018 to start the investigation instead of making her pay each year, if they knew she was staying in the country for such long periods?

She changed her residency to Spain in 2015 when she officially moved there and has paid her taxes ever since, and she also paid the ones from 2011 just to avoid problems, despite being the same situation. So everyone saying Shakira deserves the jail as if she did this maliciously or as if she wasn't willing to pay, just stop.

And about the charity work, of course I understand why other artists do it, and why someone that doesn't follow Shakira would doubt her, but for real, she's been really invested in her foundation, since the very beginning, even before it could even be used as a way to escape taxes. She's even an ambassador of UNICEF, she's very close to the work her foundation does, so much, that even the director of the foundation was also part of the investigator's report as part of her inner circle along with her parents and brother.

6 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

she does have a team, and she's obviously done what they advise her.

This situation is not new, since 2018 they've been accusing her of this, and since the very first moment she was willing to pay the initial amount they claimed, but apparently the dispute keeps going on.

that's what they're gonna clear up in July. The investigator's report is very detailed, however is not exempt of errors/lies/assumptions.

For example, in 2014 the investigator says Shakira remained in Spain from July until October, yet there are candids of her in Paris in September, and that doesn't show up in her report. And just like that, there may be many other instances.

From the three years they're fighting, Shakira would only have to prove she was somewhere else a certain amount of days to stay within the 184 days mark:

• 2012: 62 days
  • 2013: 26 days
  • 2014: 59 days

Tax havens per se aren't illegal if they comply to each country's laws. Apparently Spain doesn't consider The Bahamas a tax haven, but technically Shakira wasn't breaking any rules had it been any other country, or any other tax haven. In theory, if her tax residency was Bahamas, or any other country, she simply can't pay taxes to both her legal residency (Bahamas) and her "actual" residency (Spain or anywhere else) or else all these people would be doomed paying double taxes. Of course, Bahama's tax rate is non-existent, but that's another story. So that's part of what they have to clarify as well, Spain's position towards the Bahamas residency, because the investigator is pulling receipts that she was in Spain, but Shakira has her documentation backing up her residency was Bahamas (independently of whether she was physically there). So Spain simply doesn't care about this document.

She changed her residency to Spain in 2015 when she officially moved there and has paid her taxes ever since, and she also paid the ones from 2011 just to avoid problems, despite being the same situation. So everyone saying Shakira deserves the jail as if she did this maliciously or as if she wasn't willing to pay, just stop.

And about the charity work, of course I understand why other artists do it, and why someone that doesn't follow Shakira would doubt her, but for real, she's been really invested in her foundation, since the very beginning, even before it could even be used as a way to escape taxes. She's even an ambassador of UNICEF, she's very close to the work her foundation does, so much, that even the director of the foundation was also part of the investigator's report as part of her inner circle along with her parents and brother.

I am 100% sure she won't go to jail, soccer players like Cristiano Ronaldo didn't go to jail. She will pay a fine. I understand your position, maybe she was not aware, but the government would not go against her if they didn't have a solid case. Also it is very strange that she gave brith in spain in 2013, her first son was born in Barcelona it was a planned birth, if she was living in the Bahammas she would have planned giving birth in the Bahammas. There are too many issues in this case. Of course i have not read all documents, but it is a case in the public eye for many years already. I was a fan in the past, until 2010 when she moved to the city.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

Isn't the Spanish government known for making these claims about high-earning celebrities? Not that rich people aren't greedy or don't evade taxes, but it got to the point where it's getting suspicious now. I think the government just wants to collect more money.

21 hours ago, Gayseus911 said:

Shakira is like Britney, sweet and innocent. It sucks how stuff like this happens to the most sweetest warm hearted genuine people #FreeShakira :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

21 hours ago, Invitation said:

Poor Shakira probably hired the wrong people to deal with her taxes.

Can't expect her to have time to oversee how much she makes.

Okay some things have to be cleared in here. 

First of all, Shakira is not Britney, she can control her money and what to do with it. Innocent? I don't think so. This is how a lot of artists that lives in Spain scapes from paying big amounts of money, but those money relates to taxes for the amount of money you earn and how many properties you have. 

She lives in a building in Barcelona, I own a flat. Should I pay the same amount of taxes when I'm consuming less energy? I know it could sound stupid, but if we live really good in Spain it's because of the taxes we pay, that allows us to have so many free services as HEALTH CARE. Also let's point out that if you ever come to Spain and you need an urgency surgery or go to the hospital for any reason, we don't make foreigners to pay  anything. 

So before giving your opinions about this, you should get informed about how Spain works. We all pay taxes in the same percentage as Shakira, the thing is that she makes millions in a year.

Btw, her husband has had the same problem for years, so if you want to point out anyone, I wouldn't doubt it twice. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, YALA said:

First of all, Shakira is not Britney, she can control her money and what to do with it. Innocent? I don't think so. This is how a lot of artists that lives in Spain scapes from paying big amounts of money, but those money relates to taxes for the amount of money you earn and how many properties you have. 

She lives in a building in Barcelona, I own a flat. Should I pay the same amount of taxes when I'm consuming less energy? I know it could sound stupid, but if we live really good in Spain it's because of the taxes we pay, that allows us to have so many free services as HEALTH CARE. Also let's point out that if you ever come to Spain and you need an urgency surgery or go to the hospital for any reason, we don't make foreigners to pay  anything. 

So before giving your opinions about this, you should get informed about how Spain works. We all pay taxes in the same percentage as Shakira, the thing is that she makes millions in a year.

Btw, her husband has had the same problem for years, so if you want to point out anyone, I wouldn't doubt it twice. 

You educated me daddy :meryl_streep_point_yas_yes_meme_proud:  :bwink_britney_pepsi_wink_black_and_white_bw_flirt:

Well then she better pay up :rihit_rihanna_annoyed_throw_walk_away_bye_irritated_mad:

• Love 1
6 hours ago, YALA said:

she's not Britney, but she's not an accountant nor a lawyer either, and she relies on the team she's hired.

If it's true she spent more of the 184 days each year, which at some point was proved false but the tax agency still didn't care, it's obvious her team made a mistake in not knowing / realizing this was the case and not advising her properly. Since she was accused of this, she already paid what they claimed, despite not agreeing with it, but Hacienda wants to keep the case open until the last consequences, as if she was some kind of dangerous criminal. At any moment she's tried to run away or hide, but all the opposite, she's been there to testify when she's been asked to and has complied to pay. She's also paid her taxes ever since she's officially residing in Spain in 2015 (the accusations didn't come until 2018). She doesn't have tax problems at any other country she's had to paid taxes either. 

Also, it's not like she's stealing any money from the people of Spain. As opposed to actual Spanish singers and some international athletes that play in Spain, that have been accused of the same, such as Miguel Bosé, Ana Torroja, Montserrat Caballé, Messi, etc, her income doesn't come from within Spain, but from all over the world. Only 4% of her income comes from that country. Also I doubt she's abusing free healthcare when part of the investigations was precisely to track her visits to the doctor and the respective payments.

In any case, they are the ones that came up with the 184 days rule. If she proves she was there less than what the investigator claims, they should respect the law and treat her like they've treated any other case, instead of treating her as an exception as they've been trying to do all these years :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block