Singles That Never Were

Britney has released a lot of singles with many album tracks being missed opportunities.

The big one for me was definitely Breathe On Me. It was so Britney and so where she was at that time of her life. I really feel like it was such a waste for it to have just been an album track. Britney has performed the song on many of her tours. 

I’d also heard Get Back/Hot As Ice were lined up to be the lead single from Blackout but then Gimme More happened. 

It Should Be Easy was lined up as the possible 3rd single from BJ which I’m glad never happened...

Wondering what other tracks were lined up as possible singles and that you feel were missed opportunities?

• Love 2

Britney had many potential singles: Lonely, Bombastic Love, Cinderella, even Anticipating (though it was released in some places).

ITZ also had (I Got That) Boom Boom.

Circus: Unusual You, Shattered Glass, Kill the Lights, Out from Under

FF: Up n' Down, and even though they're not my favorite songs, Big Fat Bass and How I Roll, even (Drop Dead) Beautiful could've been singles too.

BJ: Alien, Now That I Found You, ISBE, Passenger, Til It's Gone

Glory: DO YOU WANNA COME OVER? and many others: Better, Change Your Mind, Mood Ring, Liar, If I'm Dancing

• Love 1
  • Like 1

BOMT - Thinkin’ About You was rumoured to have been planned as the third single before (You Drive Me) Crazy was chosen.

OIDIA - (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction was rumoured to have been planned as a single. When Your Eyes Say It was supposed to be the fourth/fifth single but cancelled. A music video for the song was supposedly filmed and a rare promo with a radio edit of the song was sent to UK radio stations in early 2001.

Britney - Jive wanted Bombastic Love as a single but Britney refused. A snippet of a remixed version of the song can be heard in the Making of Crossroads segment from the Britney: The Videos DVD and is rumoured to have been planned as a single mix. In the end it wasn’t released. Before the Goodbye was supposed to be the lead single before I’m a Slave 4 U was recorded.

ITZ - (I Got That) Boom Boom was planned as as the second/third/fourth single but Britney chose to release Toxic and Everytime instead and Outrageous was chosen as the fourth single due to it being used in Catwoman. Touch Of My Hand was also rumoured at one point. It’s rumoured there would have been a fifth single from the album had Britney not injured her knee. 

Blackout - as well as Get Back and Hot As Ice, Toy Soldier was also considered as the lead single at one point. Radar was supposed to be the fourth single but cancelled (and later released as the fourth single from Circus instead).

Circus - Out From Under was rumoured to have been considered as the third single before If U Seek Amy was chosen. Mannequin was also rumoured as a fifth single before The Singles Collection was announced. 

FF - Inside Out, (Drop Dead) Beautiful and Big Fat Bass were all rumoured. The album was originally supposed to have five singles but a fifth single never happened.

BJ - Britney wanted Alien as the third single but this ultimately did not happen. It’s also rumoured Now That I Found You was considered.

Glory - I actually don’t know about any rumoured/planned single choices for this album.

Edited by Isla
  • Love 4
  • Like 1
On 4/22/2021 at 11:10 PM, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Lonely, Boom Boom and Breathe On Me. The holy trinity of missed single opportunities. Honorable mention to I Run Away as well. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

I love Breathe On Me to death, it’s in my top 10 Britney songs but I do not think it would’ve worked as a single. It wouldn’t have fit on 04/05 radio. Honestly it would be more of a fit now/in more recent years.

Lonely 100% should’ve been a single, that song just has single written all over it! Sadly it would’ve flopped because of the radio ban, but it would’ve been a much better choice than Boys, but Boys was chosen because it was featured in Austin Powers.... I absolutely hate the Co-Ed Remix and wish the album version had been the single version! 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I love Breathe On Me to death, it’s in my top 10 Britney songs but I do not think it would’ve worked as a single. It wouldn’t have fit on 04/05 radio. Honestly it would be more of a fit now/in more recent years.

Lonely 100% should’ve been a single, that song just has single written all over it! Sadly it would’ve flopped because of the radio ban, but it would’ve been a much better choice than Boys, but Boys was chosen because it was featured in Austin Powers.... I absolutely hate the Co-Ed Remix and wish the album version had been the single version! 

You kinda have a point with Breathe On Me. It's an AMAZING song but it isn't radio friendly nor would it have been a hit, especially around that time when Britney's ***uality was extremely oversaturated. 

I agree though. Lonely, 100%. If I had to go back and make one song a single out of her entire albums discography, it would be that. That song literally screams HIT. I think it would have actually done better, both internationally and in the U.S., than Overprotected and ILRNR. The only part I disagree with you is Boys Co-Ed. I love the remix and think the video suited the vibe of the song very well. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I still think I Will Be There, What U See, Anticipating (worldwide instead of just France), Cinderella, Touch Of My Hand, Get Naked, Kill the Lights, Unusual You, Inside Out, Up N Down, Alien etc. etc. could have been singles.

And Glory had so many missed opportunities :crying4_britney_crying_stages_tears_sad:

Edited by Isla
  • Like 1

My options:

BOMT: Born to make you happy should be released in US also

OIDIA: Don't go no my door and What u see is what u get could be a good singles at that period but will need remixes IMO

Britney: Lonely, Cinderella, Bombastic love, Let me be, What is like to be me 

In The Zone:  The hook up, Shadow, Showdown 

GH: I've Just Begun (Havin' My Fun) 

Blackout: Ooh Ooh Baby, Hot As Ice, Freakshow

Circus: Out from Under,  Phonography, Amnesia

FF: Inside out, He About to Lose Me

Britney Jean:  Passenger,  Tik Tik Boom

Glory: Man On The moon, Liar, Better, Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortés)

p.s. and the we kiss and mona lisa deserved normal single treatments and music videos!!

p.s.s. Ans then we kiss was way more ahead of it's time thou - even now sometimes I can't get enough of it <3

BOMT - Honestly I think the single choices were right for this album. Soda Pop could have been cool at the time but it’s quite cheesy and also she would have struggled to sing it live which she did a lot back then. 

OIDIA - What U See Is What U Get should have been a single. I can see why they never went with it as it sounds very similar to Oops and Lucky. The singles were flawless though 

Britney - Cinderella and Bombastic Love over ILRR as I hate covers. Also they were classic Britney songs but I can perhaps see why she wanted to be more experimental.

ITZ - BOM and TOMH were obvious stand outs. I think she could have ended the album with Early Mornin’ and had 5 singles. Outrageous just wasn’t the right single choice it was nothing more than an album track.

Blackout - Freakshow and Get Naked would have been perfect singles as 4th and 5th single when 

Circus - Out From Under would have been the perfect end to Circus

FF - Anything really could have went with FF. All songs were single worthy and catchy. Criminal was a risk she could have gone for something more commercial and radio friendly. 

BJ - Alien.

Glory - Man on the moon, Change Your Mind, If I’m Dancing, Better, Love Me Down. MM should never have been released let alone a lead single.

Baby - I Will Be There instead of FTBOMBH would have been nice imo

Oops - Can't Make You Love Me would have been a smash :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad: 

Britney - LONELY AND CINDERELLA >>>> I Love Rock N Roll, INAGNYAW

ITZ - I think the singles are perfect, Breathe On Me or The Hook Up would have been nice too

Blackout - Every song is single material imo but my favs are Freakshow and Ooh Ooh Baby, OOB would have been perfect for radio 

Circus - Shattered Glass deserved to be a single, maybe with an extended remix

FF - Justice for Inside Out

Breanna Joanne - It Should Be Easy has single potential, specially back when it was released and after the success of Scream and Shout

Glory - Love Me Down! 

14 hours ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

BOMT - Honestly I think the single choices were right for this album. Soda Pop could have been cool at the time but it’s quite cheesy and also she would have struggled to sing it live which she did a lot back then. 

OIDIA - What U See Is What U Get should have been a single. I can see why they never went with it as it sounds very similar to Oops and Lucky. The singles were flawless though 

Britney - Cinderella and Bombastic Love over ILRR as I hate covers. Also they were classic Britney songs but I can perhaps see why she wanted to be more experimental.

ITZ - BOM and TOMH were obvious stand outs. I think she could have ended the album with Early Mornin’ and had 5 singles. Outrageous just wasn’t the right single choice it was nothing more than an album track.

Blackout - Freakshow and Get Naked would have been perfect singles as 4th and 5th single when 

Circus - Out From Under would have been the perfect end to Circus

FF - Anything really could have went with FF. All songs were single worthy and catchy. Criminal was a risk she could have gone for something more commercial and radio friendly. 

BJ - Alien.

Glory - Man on the moon, Change Your Mind, If I’m Dancing, Better, Love Me Down. MM should never have been released let alone a lead single.

I totally disagree about Make Me! Also I don’t get fans obsession with Change Your Mind it has bonus track written all over it, it’s certainly not single worthy! If I’m Dancing is the song that really got robbed because it just screams single and the video could’ve been super cool! 

Breathe on Me

I Got That (Boom Boom)...idgaf it’ll always be one of my favs and in 2003/2004 when the Ying Yang Twins were a big deal, the song would’ve smashed.

Mona Lisa...it’s so good and it deserved a music video.

I still think Toy Soldier would’ve been big in 2007

A MV for Radar in 2007 with Blackoutney would’ve been pretty epic with her idgaf attitude

Inside Out deserved the single treatment.

Liar and DYWCO could’ve both been huge.

3 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I totally disagree about Make Me! Also I don’t get fans obsession with Change Your Mind it has bonus track written all over it, it’s certainly not single worthy! If I’m Dancing is the song that really got robbed because it just screams single and the video could’ve been super cool! 

I think CYM would have set the trend for the whole Spanish vibe which followed shortly after 2016. Britney could have been first to do it and it’s a catchy little song. It needed a single mix though.

MM just felt very mediocre. It was a great album track and showed a more mature side to her music. Her natural voice gives it a sort of earthy vibe which I do like. It just wasn’t single material imo. It set Glory off to a very mediocre start. 

If I’m Dancing I agree would have been a great single it was so catchy and she would have had a killer video for it. Something along the lines of the My Prerogative perfume commercial.