Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande ''Rain On Me'' is the best thing that happened to pop culture after years of silence

2 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Random but is it bad I literally have never heard ANYONE talk about Montero IRL? :orangu_orangutan_ape:

I live in one of the most conservative places in North America so maybe that just makes people reluctant to talk about it? But IDK you would think it'd be the opposite considering how many conservatives are angry at the song. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Maybe it's cause only Gen Z talks about it then Gen Z is mostly on the internet and doesn't go out? No idea

To be quite honest i dont go out very often these days because of quarantine so i can't really tell

Sometimes the internet makes it seem like certain things are very well known when in fact most people who talk about it are...on the internet.

Twitter isn't really representative of the real world and society

2 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I think the problem is that everything has already been done in the sense that people aren't looking for new ideas. So many of the pop stars now are just teen idol versions of other ones. 

Yes, that's what bothers me. Those new popstars are like disney versions of the previous ones who were far more groundbreaking and provocative, new popstars are way too safe , they're scared of expressing themselves freely because they will called problematic or whatever so they just don't take any risks

If Madonna debuted in the 2020s she would prob get cancelled

• Like 2

I think there has definitely been moments. Mileys 2013 VMA, 1989 era, Look What You Made Me Do was a huge cultural moment, not an ariana stan but thank u next video definitely was a moment and i rly dislike WAP but it was a big deal though for all the wrong reasons. There have been moments, not just the exact same kind of moments repeated. Stripping on a VMA shiw isnt controversial like when britney debuted so no iconicness from there. Also Selenas terrible AMA performance definitely was something. Female pop stars dont get same type of controversy for doing things anymore like back in the day for xtina britney and madonna got so in a sense its progress. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dreams said:

Maybe it's cause only Gen Z talks about it then Gen Z is mostly on the internet and doesn't go out? No idea

To be quite honest i dont go out very often these days because of quarantine so i can't really tell

Sometimes the internet makes it seem like certain things are very well known when in fact most people who talk about it are...on the internet.

Twitter isn't really representative of the real world and society

Yes, that's what bothers me. Those new popstars are like disney versions of the previous ones who were far more groundbreaking and provocative, new popstars are way too safe , they're scared of expressing themselves freely because they will called problematic or whatever so they just don't take any risks

If Madonna debuted in the 2020s she would prob get cancelled

Its not that they dont break boundaries its tgat you cant re-break a boundary that has already been broken. Madonna was all for expressing female ***uality and made it normalized. So now we have songs like WAP playing on the RADIO, unsensored. That would have been so controversial back in the day, but now its okay. So yeah its not new popstar problem its just that our society has progressed and there arent that many barriers to break now. 

• Like 2

Also important to note that older pop stars have the benefit of time. We tend to glamorize history and only remember the good parts. Also many songs and videos have visibly left a legacy behind so its way easier to call something in the past a big moment. At the time surely britneys performances werent just called iconic many ppl disliked her and thought she was the opposute of iconic, we tend to showcase our faves in a very positive light and credit them for loads of stuff and trash new artists and say they dont hace the same impact. Yeah they are new, no way their impact is yet seen, legacies take time to build up. Its easier to like a song with a good history behind it than a new song that hasnr achieved that yet. 

• Like 3

Yes the #1 smash, critically acclaimed, Grammy-winning masterpiece did that. It's still funny to me that people compare Gaga's success to Dua's though; Chromatica was a bad era, yet Gaga still outranked Dua on IFPI's 2020 global report according to the leak. It says a lot that Gaga's worst era still did better than Dua's best era. :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

You misspelled Don’t Start Now :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink: released in 2019, but dominated 2020. When will Rain on Fads? :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:love the song, but not the biggest pop culture moment of 2020 :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

Even Break My Heart outimpacted 

and Levitating in the top 10 for 4 months 

not everyone can have several big moments in a single era :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

there was talking about lacking charisma and not having the x-factor. nice that you just gave good examples

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block