The residency was a cheap yet big win for team con

Let’s talks about it

they allowed Britney Jean to flop after a successful femme fatale and tour

And at 32 they decided to retire Britney Spears to Vegas to be a legendary act during her prime years... say what you want but she was still getting number #1s after 2003

and she was retired to what was a grueling residency filled with dangerous stunts that aren’t typical for a conservetee  to do

Britney was so on top in 2013 I should know I became a stan at 13 after hearing work ***** :wink_britney_everytime_white:

but her team didn’t care about her artist growth and legacy. Britney wasn’t allowed to be the bad *** boss she wanted to be in the studio post black out, she wasn’t allowed to make her own career decisions 

the residency was just temp cash grab that turned out to be such a success team con thought they found their jackpot but seriously who wants to Be worth ahem to be correct over 400 million dollars and have to perform in Vegas every night...... 

she revolutionized Vegas... because it was untypical for a star of her stature to do Vegas:duh_mind_thinking_smart_meme:

but she could’ve went way further like she was on the path of doing! I mean she could be Beyoncé big if she truly had artistic freedom!

I think the only reason Beyoncé might’ve surpassed Britney was because Britney was (forced) To stop giving a damn about her career 

• Love 5
  • Like 3

the thing is, it really was ideal for Britney, in the sense that, I bet she rather have a 4 year residency, just going back and forth from her home to Vegas, than travel around the world in a tour, sleeping in a different hotel room every night, and most times away from her kids. She's said it herself.

Her team doesn't have any interest in letting her artistry and legacy die, but all the opposite, since that would make them even more money. I think the thing here is that they thought the albums and singles would sell by themselves with no promo, like Scream & Shout did, and other previous singles to some extent, like I Wanna Go. That combined with the change of record labels, was the worst that could've happened to her career, at least from the fan perspective.

I'm not trying to defend her team, because I agree that they managed to make a lot of money by having the cheapest production, cheapest outfits, cheapest choreographers, etc. but even if we look at it from their abusive, ambitious point of view, it doesn't make any sense that they would want her career or status to flop.

You can say whatever you want about Britney Jean, but it got William Orbit, David Guetta, Diplo, Sia, Dr. Luke and will.i.am who had just given her Scream & Shout. The final product might not be up to the fans' standards (it was until it didn't debut at #1) but in theory, that sounded like a good record, they weren't working with random people, they were clearly not trying to sabotage her career. Then with Glory she was allowed to work with the people she wanted, they even went as far as to scrap what she had recorded and start again, instead of rushing a release with what they already had.

Going back to the record label, they played a huge part on it too. RCA has clearly had no interest in pushing Britney's career as Jive did back in the day. Just like they've released Swimming in the Stars and Matches with no involvement from Britney, they could've released more singles off Britney Jean and Glory, even if they were just radio singles, or just got a lyric video, but they were so easy to give up on the entire album, the moment a single flopped (Perfume, Slumber Party).

Now, what would've been worse for Britney? Do you think she would've enjoyed to be taken to every tv show and perform, and give thousands of interviews around the world like back in the day? Even if she recorded the album she wanted to, like Glory, without the proper promo, it was destined to "fail", or at least not get the commercial success they expected. In a sense, they also let her do the bare minimum, for her own comfort, as long as the Vegas tickets kept selling.

At any moment they tried to retire Britney by doing Vegas, Larry himself kept saying since the beginning that she was coming to revolutionize the landscape, because they were targeting the younger audiences that were starting to go to Vegas, as opposed to the old people it was known for. He even emphasized the fact that it was the first time an artist that still had current hits on the charts, was doing a residency. And he wasn't wrong, now everyone and their grandma, including those that swore they would never do residencies, ended up having a residency in Las Vegas, and now it's seen as the most normal thing for an artist to do.

So conservatorships aside, and independently of who ended up keeping the money, career-wise it was a wise move: gaining a lot by investing the minimum, the least amount of money for them, and the least amount of time/energy for Britney. In order for Britney to be "up to Beyoncé's standard" she would have to spend hours and hours at the studio, she would have to release all those visual albums, tour the world, hours of rehearsals, and pre-production, and the makeup, and the styling, and the image and this and that, and that requires a lot of involvement from Britney herself. But her priority are her kids. She already has a limited amount of time to see them, so I really believe she was happier doing the residency than during the Circus or FF eras. Of course it all stopped in 2018 with the tour.

• Love 1
  • Like 5
50 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

the thing is, it really was ideal for Britney, in the sense that, I bet she rather have a 4 year residency, just going back and forth from her home to Vegas, than travel around the world in a tour, sleeping in a different hotel room every night, and most times away from her kids. She's said it herself.

Her team doesn't have any interest in letting her artistry and legacy die, but all the opposite, since that would make them even more money. I think the thing here is that they thought the albums and singles would sell by themselves with no promo, like Scream & Shout did, and other previous singles to some extent, like I Wanna Go. That combined with the change of record labels, was the worst that could've happened to her career, at least from the fan perspective.

I'm not trying to defend her team, because I agree that they managed to make a lot of money by having the cheapest production, cheapest outfits, cheapest choreographers, etc. but even if we look at it from their abusive, ambitious point of view, it doesn't make any sense that they would want her career or status to flop.

You can say whatever you want about Britney Jean, but it got William Orbit, David Guetta, Diplo, Sia, Dr. Luke and will.i.am who had just given her Scream & Shout. The final product might not be up to the fans' standards (it was until it didn't debut at #1) but in theory, that sounded like a good record, they weren't working with random people, they were clearly not trying to sabotage her career. Then with Glory she was allowed to work with the people she wanted, they even went as far as to scrap what she had recorded and start again, instead of rushing a release with what they already had.

Going back to the record label, they played a huge part on it too. RCA has clearly had no interest in pushing Britney's career as Jive did back in the day. Just like they've released Swimming in the Stars and Matches with no involvement from Britney, they could've released more singles off Britney Jean and Glory, even if they were just radio singles, or just got a lyric video, but they were so easy to give up on the entire album, the moment a single flopped (Perfume, Slumber Party).

Now, what would've been worse for Britney? Do you think she would've enjoyed to be taken to every tv show and perform, and give thousands of interviews around the world like back in the day? Even if she recorded the album she wanted to, like Glory, without the proper promo, it was destined to "fail", or at least not get the commercial success they expected. In a sense, they also let her do the bare minimum, for her own comfort, as long as the Vegas tickets kept selling.

At any moment they tried to retire Britney by doing Vegas, Larry himself kept saying since the beginning that she was coming to revolutionize the landscape, because they were targeting the younger audiences that were starting to go to Vegas, as opposed to the old people it was known for. He even emphasized the fact that it was the first time an artist that still had current hits on the charts, was doing a residency. And he wasn't wrong, now everyone and their grandma, including those that swore they would never do residencies, ended up having a residency in Las Vegas, and now it's seen as the most normal thing for an artist to do.

So conservatorships aside, and independently of who ended up keeping the money, career-wise it was a wise move: gaining a lot by investing the minimum, the least amount of money for them, and the least amount of time/energy for Britney. In order for Britney to be "up to Beyoncé's standard" she would have to spend hours and hours at the studio, she would have to release all those visual albums, tour the world, hours of rehearsals, and pre-production, and the makeup, and the styling, and the image and this and that, and that requires a lot of involvement from Britney herself. But her priority are her kids. She already has a limited amount of time to see them, so I really believe she was happier doing the residency than during the Circus or FF eras. Of course it all stopped in 2018 with the tour.

You wrote all this and totally missed the point of my post:awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:

• Love 1

It definitely was.  It was a super-controlled mess.  And even when not giving af, she still racked in so much $$$, being one of the biggest Vegas shows ever.  Her impact.

On her Circus and FFT tour, she would troll her team by screaming funny things into the mic when they weren't paying attention, but in Vegas because it's one location and setup for the entire series, they could easily control her mic and time it to accordingly.

That's what they get for not letting her have creative freedom like she used to and sing live when she wants too, and giving crappy step-by-step choreos that neither her or her dancers liked instead of natural choreo like they used to have.

• Love 3

As PokemonSpears says, in some ways it was good for Britney. I do think touring took a toll for her during Circus & FF. You can see a huge improvement  in her energy and stage presence during POM. That being said, I'm unsure she even wanted to do it and think for her she accepted that a residency is the best she was going to get. And yeah, I agree about the production of it all. Very cheap and nothing special. Femme Fatale was wayyy better in terms of production.

• Love 2

I’m not totally against her doing a residency it was a cool idea and given the fact that she’s travelled her whole career it wasn’t a bad move.

They obviously wanted to continue making money out of her so the compromise was Vegas. The show was cheap and nasty imo. The “props” were awful even the tree was a bit of a stupid idea. She didn’t look comfortable swinging from a tree. They could have did so much more with a global superstar like Britney. It was just bad. And the outfits :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: don’t start me. 

Britney really doesn’t care for her music anymore she sees it as a job rather than her passion. Her team don’t care about anything but money so I expect no less. I’m glad she’s put her foot down

• Love 2
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Britman512 said:

Let’s talks about it

they allowed Britney Jean to flop after a successful femme fatale and tour

And at 32 they decided to retire Britney Spears to Vegas to be a legendary act during her prime years... say what you want but she was still getting number #1s after 2003

and she was retired to what was a grueling residency filled with dangerous stunts that aren’t typical for a conservetee  to do

Britney was so on top in 2013 I should know I became a stan at 13 after hearing work ***** :wink_britney_everytime_white:

but her team didn’t care about her artist growth and legacy. Britney wasn’t allowed to be the bad *** boss she wanted to be in the studio post black out, she wasn’t allowed to make her own career decisions 

the residency was just temp cash grab that turned out to be such a success team con thought they found their jackpot but seriously who wants to Be worth ahem to be correct over 400 million dollars and have to perform in Vegas every night...... 

she revolutionized Vegas... because it was untypical for a star of her stature to do Vegas:duh_mind_thinking_smart_meme:

but she could’ve went way further like she was on the path of doing! I mean she could be Beyoncé big if she truly had artistic freedom!

I think the only reason Beyoncé might’ve surpassed Britney was because Britney was (forced) To stop giving a damn about her career 

Britney is bigger than Beyonce hun, she's been around since 1998 while Beyonce was still playing with her barbie dolls :arianabye_grande_drive_ariana_pull_away_car_van_kiss_wave_goodbye_leave_leaving:

Artistry and career moves are 2 completely different things: I witnessed Britney's artistry since the beginning  so I can assure by 2013 she had nothing left to prove to anybody. Her career moves are more questionable, but now we have a better picture (c-ship wise) of why those moves happened :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Beyonce's irrelevant at this point, as well as her artistry and she'll be the next act to announce a Vegas residency after P!nk, mark my words!  :arianabye_grande_drive_ariana_pull_away_car_van_kiss_wave_goodbye_leave_leaving:

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, pablitonizer said:

Britney is bigger than Beyonce hun, she's been around since 1998 while Beyonce was still playing with her barbie dolls :arianabye_grande_drive_ariana_pull_away_car_van_kiss_wave_goodbye_leave_leaving:

Artistry and career moves are 2 completely different things: I witnessed Britney's artistry since the beginning  so I can assure by 2013 she had nothing left to prove to anybody. Her career moves are more questionable, but now we have a better picture (c-ship wise) of why those moves happened :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Beyonce's irrelevant at this point, as well as her artistry and she'll be the next act to announce a Vegas residency after P!nk, mark my words!  :arianabye_grande_drive_ariana_pull_away_car_van_kiss_wave_goodbye_leave_leaving:

Beyoncé being in Vegas world flood that city every night 

I remember how crazy it was when Beyoncé came here for a show

The residency was a good move for her career they just milked it for too long. Her show changed Las Vegas entertainment and brought in younger crowds. Look how many younger artists have had residencies since. It cemented her legacy and proved she’ll always be relevant with or without new hits. 

I think @lustwecantcontrol explained it everytime she didn't want to be a dance floor diva like Madonna and others, but she was forced into that direction as like I said, most gay press at that time unless you were Janet or whitney and lil Kim, the hip hop and R&B scene was completely ignored and I think it was obvious why, as it wasn't gay friendly during Britney's prime. But she's from the south and hip hop was huge there. 

But her label was more focused on making her a brand. 

Even while it's not Britney related, even gay stan Twitter is asking who's bright idea was it to force Cher in a dance diva direction as her voice and image is like Tina Turner aimed for rock and roll. 

So, it's not only Britney but everybody is questioning the music marketing as some of these ideas with the A&R seems forced and actually unbelievable cos of a flop, some of them was forced to go into a different direction cos of the money.