This Day in Pop: Raw cut from the original 'Make Me...' video leaks online in 2019 (April 12)

mmoriginal.jpg.e206693350bea2bafbc22aa62a2a1511.jpgpost.png

On April 12, 2019, a clip with footage from the original David LaChapelle-directed Make Me... video, leaked online, almost three years since the official video was released. Make Me... was the lead single off Britney Spears' ninth studio album Glory (2016), and it featured rapper G-Eazy.

001.jpg

The shooting of the original video, took place in early June 2016. Britney posted several photos from the set, and even gave an interview for E! News.

Some clips from the shooting were captured by people that were at the location

Ultimately, when the official video premiered in August, it turned out to be a completely different thing, directed by Randee St. Nicholas, even though some low quality clips from the LaChapelle treatment had leaked hours before the release.

2jgg35B2019-04-13-03-07-225D.JPG

It wasn't until 2019, that a high quality video with footage from the original shooting leaked, at the time that Britney Spears had been checked into a mental health facility after the cancellation of her Domination residency. David LaChapelle first commented "not my video sorry" when asked on Instagram about the leak, but later he weighed in to explain the original video wasn't released because Britney didn't like it:

12877780-6973799-image-a-21_155657224173

This is some of my footage, this is not my edit. I find it very suspect that the video was "leaked" while Britney was "away". The video/song wasn't released because Britney didn't like it. Her voice as an artist, should be respected. The only direction Britney ever gave me for this video is for me to film her in the cage. At the time I didn't understand why would you want to be filmed in a cage? At first I envisioned to film her more timid, like a kitten. For everyone on my team, at least, we could tell something was off... for the video "ever time" the only direction Britney gave me for the video was that she wanted to die, that she wanted to die in the video.... for the commercial for the "Onyx Hotel" tour Britney never showed up. She was getting married in Vegas....I have known Britney since she was 17. I shot her first cover, Rolling stone, it was hot in Louisiana at her family home, filled with her pageant trophies. I could tell even back then something wasn't right. - David LaChapelle #freebritney

2jgg35B2019-04-13-03-26-235D.JPG

The original, racier video has been very divisive among the fans, with some praising it for its controversial nature, while other, more conservative viewers, deeming it too raunchy and vulgar, and unrelated to the meaning of the song (which is a recurrent thing on Britney videos though, including the other David LaChapelle-directed Everytime). Which is true is that the video we got is a very raw and unedited cut, and is not the vision the director had, joining the list of scrapped videos that never were, such as 2013's Perfume.

2jgg35B2019-04-13-03-41-335D.JPG

Not only was the video scrapped, but the entire photoshoot for the album as well. It wasn't until 2020 when we got to see the rest of David LaChapelle's pictures for the Glory re-release(s), including a new cover for the album.

IMG_3107.jpg

gloryog.jpg

We're not supposed to share the video here, but you all know where to find it.

2jgg35B2019-04-13-03-31-385D.JPG

2jgg35B2019-04-13-03-32-375D.JPG

2jgg35B2019-04-13-03-33-245D.JPG

*in before Jordan removes the original video images 🥲*

Related:

• Love 5
  • Like 3

A horrible, disgusting, badly written, vulgar, cheap, unlikable, disappointing, useless, dull, boring and trashy video aq9Apl8.gif. Never deserved to see the light of the day, or even be leaked it should have just stayed in the vaults where it deserved to stay in, so we did not have to put our eyes all through that torture :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney: Good thing that trash and disgrace of a video was never made the official video of Glory :trash_throw_away_recycle: Lets just not celebrate the "anniversary" of this stain on Britney's videography :rihit_rihanna_annoyed_throw_walk_away_bye_irritated_mad: @MSTAR

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

I don't understand why people love this version, it's such a mess and her makeup and hairstyle made her look 50 

THIS! Thank you!!! Anyone that says this video is "aMaZiNg" or "DeSeRvEd tO bE tHe oFfIcIaL mV" need an eye check up and therapy at the side  :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
On 4/12/2021 at 1:08 PM, Blackout2006 said:

A horrible, disgusting, badly written, vulgar, cheap, unlikable, disappointing, useless, dull, boring and trashy video aq9Apl8.gif. Never deserved to see the light of the day, or even be leaked it should have just stayed in the vaults where it deserved to stay in, so we did not have to put our eyes all through that torture :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney: Good thing that trash and disgrace of a video was never made the official video of Glory :trash_throw_away_recycle: Lets just not celebrate the "anniversary" of this stain on Britney's videography :rihit_rihanna_annoyed_throw_walk_away_bye_irritated_mad: @MSTAR

I 100% agree. This video has no-sense, is immature, representing Britney in a bad light since the music video pushed the limit of vulgarity. Would have flopped due to broadcasting censoring on TV Channels (I don’t think any TV channel will broadcast this mv in the day while kids may watch it).

On 4/12/2021 at 1:13 PM, Blackout2006 said:

@MSTAR can we convert this thread into a hate thread? aq9Apl8.gif

Lmao, Britney herself didn’t liked this video, I mean, we are not 100% sure but it’s not surprising if she don’t like it. I guess it’s for the same reason as Work B***h, she is a mother so she had to cut some parts of Work B***h.

I still don’t understand why there’s a huge hype over this music video. Just compare it to BOMT, Sometimes, Crazy, From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bd084ed63776d6c45

DismalAgileItaliangreyhound-max-14mb.gif
04a3ab05cd3e58ebafbd3c3cfdfd548f00a00dbc
002a91cb068a49ba65fe78bb093e7874b700c710

These music videos are 100000 times more mature even if Britney was only 16-17, so compared to this Make Me video, it’s just cheap, vulgar, and an inappropriate video. :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe: After, maybe a new final cut may fix the video, but I’m not satisfied with this cut.

Anyway, like it or not, colors, opinions and tastes can’t be discussed. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t mean that I don’t like this music video that I disrespect people who like it, if you enjoy it then it’s fine. But please, don’t say objectively that’s the best music video of Britney ever (don’t start to tell Make Me is more iconic than Toxic or BOMT).

• Love 5
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, MSTAR said:

I 100% agree. This video has no-sense, is immature, representing Britney in a bad light since the music video pushed the limit of vulgarity. Would have flopped due to broadcasting censoring on TV Channels (I don’t think any TV channel will broadcast this mv in the day while kids may watch it).

Lmao, Britney herself didn’t liked this video, I mean, we are not 100% sure but it’s not surprising if she don’t like it. I guess it’s for the same reason as Work B***h, she is a mother so she had to cut some parts of Work B***h.

I still don’t understand why there’s a huge hype over this music video. Just compare BOMT, Sometimes, From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart...these music videos are 100 times more mature even if Britney was only 16-17, so compared to this Make Me video, ew. :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:
Anyway, like it or not, colors and tastes can’t be debated. But please, don’t say objectively that’s the best music video of Britney ever and could have been a hit. I’ve even forgotten the existence of this music video. :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever:

This fanfic is everything.

Maybe we should start discussing your upscale while we are trashing her music in here ?

14 minutes ago, Easy There said:

This fanfic is everything.

Maybe we should start discussing your upscale while we are trashing her music in here ?

What is the connection there? I don’t understand. You don’t have maybe true arguments? I’m here to discuss, not to trash. I just tell my opinion. Wow. I’m not even allowed to say my OWN opinion? Pathetic, that’s just toxic since we are all free to give our opinion. And my opinion, is that music video is just not good and too vulgar, I respect people who like it but I told that objectively, Britney did better music video. @Blackout2006 mentioned me to give my opinion too, as far as I know, we have right to disagree or not like something even if it comes from Britney, right? That being said, does it mean that people with different opinions are not welcomed here? Because I feel that’s true.

• Like 3