Have you ever seen Overprotected Darkchild Remix in this quality? (New 4K Remaster)

MSTAR

On 4/11/2021 at 10:54 AM, MSTAR said:

Yeah I don’t know why the DVD/VOB version and HDTV versions have a pink tint, like this 1080p Version of Palladia:

Same with MTV, VH1, M6 Music...all HD TV channels have the same pink tinted version with rainbow artefacts caused by the Composite Master.

Well I think that the Pink Tint was done on purpose, just like Stronger has a blue filter, and what not. It was a choice by the director, probably to make the costumes pop as there is a lot of pink in the video. I did like your remaster don't get me wrong, but I don't think you should have tried to get rid of the tint, as it made the video look a bit oversaturated, and the tint was intended to be there by the director, and the editor. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, F.a.u.zish said:

Well I think that the Pink Tint was done on purpose, just like Stronger has a blue filter, and what not. It was a choice by the director, probably to make the costumes pop as there is a lot of pink in the video. I did like your remaster don't get me wrong, but I don't think you should have tried to get rid of the tint, as it made the video look a bit oversaturated, and the tint was intended to be there by the director, and the editor. 

No no, it’s not originally pinky trust me. I reproduced the same original tint, Tidal released (and now removed) Overprotected Darkchild, and the tint wasn’t pinky but more orange like my remaster. Tidal is a streaming platform where Sony Music Entertainment (the major label of Britney which own RCA) upload her videos.

Another proof is the Spotify Vertical Video on the Overprotected - Radio Edit song, the tint isn’t pink but like mine, orange:

Overprotected.jpg
Overprotected2.jpg

Overprotected3.jpg

(these images are screenshots of the Official Vertical Video on Spotify, they did it also for her other songs: https://twitter.com/Martiijnn/status/1261334658081587201?s=20)
You can check that on Spotify on your phone directly, they uploded Vertical Videos on Britney’s songs.

So as you can see, it’s not pinky as on DVD or TV channels, the director didn’t changed the tint on purpose. The pinky tint is due to the composite master, the DVD and TV channels use them, that’s why it’s pink only on DVD or on some TV  channels. I remember seeing on a TV channel the version without a pink tint. This issue happened with other videos, Toxic is originally more yellow on the Director’s Cut.

1 hour ago, MSTAR said:

No no, it’s not originally pinky trust me. I reproduced the same original tint, Tidal released (and now removed) Overprotected Darkchild, and the tint wasn’t pinky but more orange like my remaster. Tidal is a streaming platform where Sony Music Entertainment (the major label of Britney which own RCA) upload her videos.

Another proof is the Spotify Vertical Video on the Overprotected - Radio Edit song, the tint isn’t pink but like mine, orange:

Overprotected.jpg
Overprotected2.jpg

Overprotected3.jpg

(these images are screenshots of the Official Vertical Video on Spotify, they did it also for her other songs: https://twitter.com/Martiijnn/status/1261334658081587201?s=20)
You can check that on Spotify on your phone directly, they uploded Vertical Videos on Britney’s songs.

So as you can see, it’s not pinky as on DVD or TV channels, the director didn’t changed the tint on purpose. The pinky tint is due to the composite master, the DVD and TV channels use them, that’s why it’s pink only on DVD or on some TV  channels. I remember seeing on a TV channel the version without a pink tint. This issue happened with other videos, Toxic is originally more yellow on the Director’s Cut.

Oh wow sorry didn’t mean to drag you or anything, just every single version of this MV that I had seen was pink tinted so I just assumed that was done on purpose. Also I always thought Britney’s team didn’t have the rights to this video due to a lawsuit but If it was on tidal and it’s on her Spotify that means they do and they just never put it on her YouTube Wtf. Also I’m not really educated on composite masters and what not so if you could explain that to me it would be great :-)

9 hours ago, F.a.u.zish said:

Oh wow sorry didn’t mean to drag you or anything, just every single version of this MV that I had seen was pink tinted so I just assumed that was done on purpose. Also I always thought Britney’s team didn’t have the rights to this video due to a lawsuit but If it was on tidal and it’s on her Spotify that means they do and they just never put it on her YouTube Wtf. Also I’m not really educated on composite masters and what not so if you could explain that to me it would be great :-)

I know that you didn’t meant to drag me don’t worry! :cuteidk_britney_excited_laugh_yes_yas_happy_smile:

You’ve completely right, when it’s done on purpose, I should not change the tint. But here, it’s so weird because the DVD version and TV channels are broadcasting the video with a pink tint, so everyone will believe that the video was made like that. But when I found the music video on Tidal (and now they removed it, idk why), it hadn’t the pink tint. I was like, OMG it’s more beautiful! :ohmygawd_britney_omg_shocked_wow_holy_crap_gasp_shocked_itz_in_the_zone_white:

And then, I went on Spotify and I saw they’ve put the vertical video of Overprotected Darkchild on the Overprotected (Album Version) song. Which is weird. Because they had to put the original music video and not the remix one (another fail of RCA/Sony/Britney’s Team lol). :disbelief_britney_surprised_shocked_wow:

Anyway, let’s now talk about the Composite Master. :yeahhh_britney_oops_red_fist_cheer_yeah_smile_happy:

There are actually many types of masters. For example, the ProRes Master is the BEST quality video file of a music video. As it’s a big file, and packs all of the details, and is the final product file, this type of master offers the best quality for a music video. For example, the file size of the ProRes Master of Hold It Against Me is more than 5GB.

Then there’s the Composite Master, which is normally also another good source of a music video but its problem is the massive rainbow artefacts on grey elements. The composite master is used on DVDs, on TV channels and also on YouTube. But it has some visual glitches. To see what is the exact problem, you can spot easily those rainbow colorations on Someday I Will Understand:

So when you see those rainbow colorations, that means that’s a composite master. Same with the new Official HD remasters which are just new encodes of the composite masters, you can see that on Womanizer on Britney’s clothes at 0:37 and 1:10

Archived