Taylor Swift's 'Fearless' re-release moved 500k copies in 24 hours, scores biggest Spotify debut of 2021

2 hours ago, mythology said:

Sis that was over 2 decades ago.  Taylor had much more success with her albums, selling millions of each on the first week alone.  Taylor's album sales are much more impressive and consistent, and this is coming from someone who can't stand the :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

Ah yes, having 5 albums with over a million sales (which were mostly fueled from her not including her albums on Spotify in its first week) yet none of them surpassed Oops!...I Did It Again first week sales :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand: 

2 hours ago, mythology said:

Sis that was over 2 decades ago.  Taylor had much more success with her albums, selling millions of each on the first week alone.  Taylor's album sales are much more impressive and consistent, and this is coming from someone who can't stand the *****:riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

AHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

im literally crying rn 

20 hours ago, dr35 said:

Taylor Swift's re-release of Fearless (Taylor's Version) shifted 500,000 units globally, in just 24 hours. This marks her 9th album to debut with 500k.

27 songs, including vaulted tracks never heard by the public, this could easily move over a million by weeks end!

Fearless (Taylor's Version) also has the biggest debut on Spotify in 2021, surpassing Justin Bieber's new album Justice.

thoughts? How big will ‘Fearless’ be?

taylor-swift-spotify.jpg.6e52906dcee4820ce4be7e304559fea4.jpg

I think Taylor can fart 💨 and send 500k. Congratulations.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Blackout2006 said:

Ah yes, having 5 albums with over a million sales (which were mostly fueled from her not including her albums on Spotify in its first week) yet none of them surpassed Oops!...I Did It Again first week sales :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand: 

In terms of sales, you can't really compare the early 00s to the digital era, though. BOMT was the 2nd best-selling album of 1999 (in the US, of course). Oops was the 3rd best-selling album of 2000. Even though Britney has 2 Diamond-certified albums, she has never had the best-selling album of any year. Taylor has had the best-selling album of 5 separate years, and she did that as a female beating some of the biggest male artists in the industry:

• Fearless (2009)
  • 1989 (2014)
  • reputation (2017)
  • Lover (2019)
  • folklore (2020)

Furthermore, she got a Diamond certification in the digital era with Fearless, which only the biggest of the biggest artists have achieved. If you don't wanna acknowledge 2009 as being part of the digital era, then consider 1989 because it's very close to being Diamond-certified (9x Platinum) even though it was released in 2014. Not to take away from other people's success, but, in my humble opinion, getting a Diamond certification post 2005ish is more impressive than pre 2005ish. If you look at the list of Diamond-certified albums, 97% of them were released in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 00s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only pop girls who've managed to get a Diamond certification post 2005 are Taylor and Adele. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams: Britney was definitely bigger as a global phenomenon and pop culture icon, but in terms of sales Taylor wins, IMO. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening:

• Love 5
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

In terms of sales, you can't really compare the early 00s to the digital era, though. BOMT was the 2nd best-selling album of 1999 (in the US, of course). Oops was the 3rd best-selling album of 2000. Even though Britney has 2 Diamond-certified albums, she has never had the best-selling album of any year. Taylor has had the best-selling album of 5 separate years, and she did that as a female beating some of the biggest male artists in the industry:

• Fearless (2009)
  • 1989 (2014)
  • reputation (2017)
  • Lover (2019)
  • folklore (2020)

If I am not wrong however, these are the sales for the US? I was honestly talking about international sales, rather than US sales, since selling over 5 million copies with an album outside of the US is more impressive rather than selling 5 million copies in the world biggest music market and industry. So from an international point of view, Taylor like Britney, too has never had a best-selling album of the year record so there really isn't a much say in this topic, however, in terms of best selling female albums of the year, they both equally have 3 albums that were the best-selling female albums of their specific years, internationally.

Furthermore, she got a Diamond certification in the digital era with Fearless, which only the biggest of the biggest artists have achieved.

But is it that impressive once you get to know the truth? I mean, with pure copies, Fearless has sold 7.000.000 copies, and the rest that constitutes the album into becoming eligible for diamond was by streaming, and we already know how much of a streaming force Taylor is. However, there is no denying that having sold 7 million copies of a record in an economically bad time for the US is an amazing feat but it still is 3 million copies away from actually being a diamond album. Had it however been a diamond album by actually selling 10.000.000 copies rather than units, I would find it impressive.

Not to take away from other people's success, but, in my humble opinion, getting a Diamond certification post 2005ish is more impressive than pre 2005ish. If you look at the list of Diamond-certified albums, 97% of them were released in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 00s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only pop girls who've managed to get a Diamond certification post 2005 are Taylor and Adele. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

Definitely true. Considering how badly the market has been affected by streaming, it is rather more impressive selling 10 million copies in a post-2005 era.

Britney was definitely bigger as a global phenomenon and pop culture icon, but in terms of sales Taylor wins, IMO. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening:

In terms of selling records cohesively, I will have to give it to Taylor but honestly when it comes to sales, I think it is a very neutral situation  since Britney had the benefit of debuting during the pre-streaming era whereas, Taylor had the benefit of debuting in a post-streaming era. You can say in the end, Britney wins as her highest selling record was over 30 million copies, and Taylor's highest selling was 15 million but they both were released in different environments but in my opinion, Britney's sales felt much more authentic :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, IUSM said:

I am not a fan of her country past, but I may listen to it just to compare. :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

And kudos to her for re-recording her whole discography. She has released 3 albums in less than a year. She is that impressive. :letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn:

here is a summary comparisson of most songs if you are interested. (timestamps are in the description) the vocals on the slower songs are so good. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mythology said:

Sis that was over 2 decades ago.  Taylor had much more success with her albums, selling millions of each on the first week alone.  Taylor's album sales are much more impressive and consistent, and this is coming from someone who can't stand the *****:riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

Also Taylor is a decade into her career and this is a re release of an old album. :lollipop_britney_sucker_dancing_party_2012:

• Love 4
2 hours ago, jordeezy said:

I have a theory that the debut re-release will be massive because there are sooo many unreleased from that era. 

I hope so. I’ve been a fan since back then. And I love a lot of the songs that never made the cut. Be nice to have them on Apple Music lol 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, mythology said:

6 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

5 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Britney was definitely bigger as a global phenomenon and pop culture icon, but in terms of sales Taylor wins, IMO. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening:

Can we acknowledge the elephant in the room as to why Britney's sales are less consistent though? Mostly because her transitions between Oops!... - In the Zone are a lot less smooth in terms of being able to retain the younger fans/her original fanbase. Taylor released like 3 albums post-debut all slowly leading up to her pop transition but Britney didn't really do that. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Britney (2001) was a transitional album but it wasn't originally intended to be that way, it's just how many of the tracks got scrapped to fuse the albums with the original Crossroads soundtrack. Hence why the more adult sounding songs lean VERY more into the adult sides from what you would expect from a transitional album. It was lowkey a smart decision from JIVE to make it a transitional album so that it wouldn't alienate all of her audience but it sure did alienate a lot of her younger fans, particularly the ones who still weren't teens because their parents would refuse to buy her stuff.  :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Like an example is how there are still LOADS of fans of Taylor who have been fans since she was doing country, but it's quite rare to find someone whose been a fan of Britney since 1998. There are def a few but most of the older fans became fans when Britney started doing more adult stuff. 

Britney's image changed much more than Taylor's has ever, although Taylor has probs (in her released material) been more experimental with genres. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block