Original Doll... What if we have all been wrong?

I've never bought into the "shelved album" idea. I could be wrong but the way I see it is that Britney started recording during the Onyx Hotel Tour (Mona Lisa) and then kept recording songs after. The sound was more raw and less pop. She went on the radio to debut the Mona Lisa demo and gave the tentative title of the 5th album. She kept recording and in 2006 she worked with Danja and the direction of the album completely changed after she recorded his songs and the 5th album turned into the club/dance album Blackout. There's never been any evidence that she and her label prepared an entire album called Original Doll and it was finished ready to go and everything but then they didn't release it for whatever reason. Albums change directions and titles all the time.

The sound of the Original Doll songs wouldn't have been commercially successful anyway. It would have been a treat to her fans to have something different and more artistic but that's not what the public is interested in from Britney. I still believe that it was all recording for the "5th album" that changed direction once producers like Danja stepped in.

• Love 1

Chaotic, Mona Lisa, Over to You Now and Someday were all intended for Original Doll. These along with a few others that leaked over the last ten years make up what OD would have been. 

I doubt that there are many other tracks but fans like to give OD more credit than it deserves. 

On 4/20/2021 at 6:24 AM, oscar0 said:

britney definitely wanted to make a more r & b music album inspired by ray of light. There are too many songs similar in sound that are spectacular. Stade of grace, outta this world, sugar fall. I don't think they are coincidences.

Ray of Light is r&b?

On 4/18/2021 at 1:35 PM, zxcvb said:

But why didn't she leave her label?

Or did she want to stay with Jive?

She was clearly battling Jive in late 2004/early 2005, but she clearly stayed in the industry and signed to Jive.

At the very least Britney should have renegotiated her contract for artistic autonomy, if she really wanted that.

I don't think an artist can easily get out of contracts like that? She must have literally signed her life away back in 1998 tbh.

and obviously she wanted the creative freedom and fought but they weren't listening and no one took her seriously. 

it was such a different time back then! 

Super sad when you think about how much control and  creative freedom artists have over their own careers today (like Gaga, Taylor, Lana) that Britney was never given.

that's why these songs are so special to those that appreciate them cause we get a little glimpse of what that might have looked like :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

1 hour ago, femmepop said:

it's not, idk what that person is hearing lol.   :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

Ray of Light is like electronic experimental new age-y vibes.

If anything Bedroom Stories was the r&b inspired  Madonna album :brityes_britney_yes_nodding: 

Ok thank you, I was on my way to an ENT doctor to get my ears checked.

2 hours ago, femmepop said:

I don't think an artist can easily get out of contracts like that? She must have literally signed her life away back in 1998 tbh.

and obviously she wanted the creative freedom and fought but they weren't listening and no one took her seriously. 

it was such a different time back then! 

Super sad when you think about how much control and  creative freedom artists have over their own careers today (like Gaga, Taylor, Lana) that Britney was never given.

that's why these songs are so special to those that appreciate them cause we get a little glimpse of what that might have looked like :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

This is why I always, if anything, her contracts are what hurt her career more than anything else.

If she (Larry Rudolph) really signed a lifetime 'slave' contract back in 1997/1998 that she couldn't get out of, then her career was always doomed, despite her talent.

Just look her knee injury situation; people forget she got injured TWICE in 2004. During her tour in March and later in June 2004 for Outrageous, a song she didn't even want as a single.

I appreciate her work ethic, but she was totally overworked.

• Like 4
On 4/20/2021 at 1:26 AM, bas che said:

Chaotic, Mona Lisa, Over to You Now and Someday were all intended for Original Doll. These along with a few others that leaked over the last ten years make up what OD would have been. 

I doubt that there are many other tracks but fans like to give OD more credit than it deserves. 

Chaotic and Over To You Now were actually originally intended for In the Zone. Chaotic was originally going to be a bonus track on the European edition of ITZ as well. Someday was specifically for the Chaotic EP. None of Britney’s unreleased songs that have leaked were intended for Original Doll, only Mona Lisa is confirmed.

Edited by Isla
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, zxcvb said:

This is why I always, if anything, her contracts are what hurt her career more than anything else.

If she (Larry Rudolph) really signed a lifetime 'slave' contract back in 1997/1998 that she couldn't get out of, then her career was always doomed, despite her talent.

Just look her knee injury situation; people forget she got injured TWICE in 2004. During her tour in March and later in June 2004 for Outrageous, a song she didn't even want as a single.

I appreciate her work ethic, but she was totally overworked.

THIS:crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

she gave so much in such a short time span. it's like they were afraid the interest in Britney would fade out if she went away for a little while so they had to milk it.

meanwhile...

20+ years later we're all still here.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/britney-spears-original-doll-secret-history-lost-album

When she said there was an album halfway done she wasn't lying, the scraped songs from ITZ and the songs she recorded on the OHT would be part of Original Doll.

Possibly tracklist:

Chaotic
Over to you now
And then we kiss
Welcome to me
Every day
Ouch
Money, Love and Hapiness
Mad love
Peep Show
Red hot lipstick
Take off
Conscience
Look whos talkin now
Don't hang up
Girls and Boys
Get it
Guilty
Siping on
Falling
Monalisa
Someday

We had a taste of what would be an ITZ follow-up album with the three new songs released on Greatest Hits, My prerogative, Do Somethin and I just begun (Havin my fun) a Britney more naughy,  rebellious and introspective, discovering his new alter ego "Mona Lisa"

:tongueney_britney_cocky:

Spoiler

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Alex Murr said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/britney-spears-original-doll-secret-history-lost-album

When she said there was an album halfway done she wasn't lying, the scraped songs from ITZ and the songs she recorded on the OHT would be part of Original Doll.

Possibly tracklist:

Chaotic
Over to you now
And then we kiss
Welcome to me
Every day
Ouch
Money, Love and Hapiness
Mad love
Peep Show
Red hot lipstick
Take off
Conscience
Look whos talkin now
Don't hang up
Girls and Boys
Get it
Guilty
Siping on
Falling
Monalisa
Someday

We had a taste of what would be an ITZ follow-up album with the three new songs released on Greatest Hits, My prerogative, Do Somethin and I just begun (Havin my fun) a Britney more naughy,  rebellious and introspective, discovering his new alter ego "Mona Lisa"

:tongueney_britney_cocky:

Reveal hidden contents

As I said in my above post, none of Britney's unreleased songs that have leaked were for Original Doll, they came from other albums. Only Mona Lisa is confirmed, none of the other songs on the Chaotic EP were for Original Doll either. And how is Don't Hang Up for Original Doll when that was an international bonus track on In the Zone?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Isla said:

As I said in my above post, none of Britney's unreleased songs that have leaked were for Original Doll, they came from other albums. Only Mona Lisa is confirmed, none of the other songs on the Chaotic EP were for Original Doll either. And how is Don't Hang Up for Original Doll when that was an international bonus track on In the Zone?

While I agree with you I still think the possibility of what we said holds some truth. the tracks him and I listed may have once been considered for the follow up to ITZ: Original Doll.  (ITZ bonus tracks, GH, Chaotic and some demos that leaked over the last decade or so).

It is not unheard of that artists reject tracks for an album but then end up using them in a follow up album. Examples being Gwen Stefani’s LAMB leftover tracks were repurposed for The Sweet Escape album. Same goes for E=MC2 by Mariah Carey which has a number of tracks that were supposed to be on Emancipation of Mimi if I am not mistaken. Is it true? Nah. Is it okay to speculate that these were cuts from OD? Yes, definitely.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, bas che said:

While I agree with you I still think the possibility of what we said holds some truth. the tracks him and I listed may have once been considered for the follow up to ITZ: Original Doll.  (ITZ bonus tracks, GH, Chaotic and some demos that leaked over the last decade or so).

It is not unheard of that artists reject tracks for an album but then end up using them in a follow up album. Examples being Gwen Stefani’s LAMB leftover tracks were repurposed for The Sweet Escape album. Same goes for E=MC2 by Mariah Carey which has a number of tracks that were supposed to be on Emancipation of Mimi if I am not mistaken. Is it true? Nah. Is it okay to speculate that these were cuts from OD? Yes, definitely.

Hmmm possibly but I’ve never thought that Britney may have reused these songs for Original Doll. Especially NOT Don’t Hang Up which was on In the Zone as a bonus track.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:35 AM, femmepop said:

"Take Off"  would have been a smash :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

was this from ITZ era or a track Britney imagined for Original Doll? 

I think it was for in the zone. She recorded that song plus many others with Michelle belle but none of them made the cut. Many fans have conjectured that the songs with Michelle belle were intended for original doll. 

• Love 3
On 4/19/2021 at 10:24 PM, oscar0 said:

britney definitely wanted to make a more r & b music album inspired by ray of light. There are too many songs similar in sound that are spectacular. Stade of grace, outta this world, sugar fall. I don't think they are coincidences.

Sugar fall was intended specifically for Blackout. I wish it was included in the album. Sugar fall and Exaholic are my favorite unreleased tracks!

• Love 1
On 4/9/2021 at 3:55 PM, Oxic said:

I thought we all knew that? I've never heard the theory of the album being locked somewhere on a basement :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Nah Circus didn't get any involvement from Britney, she said it herself. Probably Blackout though. 

What are you talking about? Britney was pretty involved in the album. She wrote rock me in, my baby, mannequin, lace and leather. Also, she wrote Whiplash, which she rejected and gave to Selena Gomez. She collaborated with Lady Gaga on two songs...one of which was the megahit Telephone. I believe she also wrote a song with Chris Brown called “velvet lipstick”...the demo with Brown’s vocals are on YouTube and sound kinda weird coming from him. 

Yeah, I’d say she was pretty involved with the Circus album . I think she was going for that edgy vibe with current pop trends. Maybe, a little more toned down in comparison to Blackout but I think it’s part of what came from the original doll era

• Love 1