Jump to content

Billboard ranks 'Anticipating' as the 5th best deep cut of 2001


Recommended Posts

  • Exhale+
1 minute ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I'll be anticipating, this is their rage comments they're writing. :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

 

Spoiler

Hooked!!! I missed you :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

I wanna rock with the real fans who stan anticipating :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Link to post
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JUSTICE FOR ANTICIPATING  5. Britney Spears - Anticipating  While the bump and grind raunch of "I'm a Slave 4 U" and "Boys" were the pillars of Spears' 2001 LP Britney, betwixt the heavy brea

Anticipating!!!!! It is forever a mood booster, one of my favs Justice for Anticipating

I'm still so pissed it came last in the megarate, it's always been one of my faves from this album!! It's so feelgood and I love the disco influences. It would have made a good single (okay I know it

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

 

  Hide contents

Hooked!!! I missed you :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

I wanna rock with the real fans who stan anticipating :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

I've been so busy with school, I literally am avoiding my Math assignment to come on here right now. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat: :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

Your feeling is right, let's dance to Anticipating tonight. :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
  • Exhale+
Just now, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I've been so busy with school, I literally am avoiding my Math assignment to come on here right now. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat: :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

PLSSS :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: Yeah, I can see why your school schedule has been hectic lately :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup: Have u completed yr essays? :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

 

1 minute ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Your feeling is right, let's dance to Anticipating tonight. :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

Gotta really let me know if you want me :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:
You gotta turn me up by streaming anticipating :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Link to post
On 4/9/2021 at 1:18 AM, PokemonSpears said:

unlike Slumber Party, which couldn't be saved even with an amazing video, a killer video for Cinderella would've done wonders. It had the potential to be an iconic videoclip like everything she did back then. Maybe it wouldn't have impacted the US because of the radio ban anyways, but internationally it would've done great.

However, I still prefer Bombastic Love and Lonely 

It is a part of Britney's (the 3rd album's) awkwardness. In my opinion, it is not only a transitional album, but it is also a demonstration of what a meeting with your record label results in.

Cinderella kind of had that teen pop song structure that could fit in OIDIA. (Record labels like to milk things that have proven to be successful.) It could be track before/after ''What You See (Is What You Get)'' or "Can't Make You Love Me". So, it could have served as an appropriate lead single. Maybe , it would've charted worse than Slave 4 U in the US, but it could've also resulted in better first week/s album sales. The GP wouldn't have felt like Britney has done a full image change. 

Not that I am trying to do the Butterfly Effect but getting things racier as the era progressed, might have been a not bad idea 

1st single - Cinderella/Bombastic Love/Anticipating

2nd Single - Overprotected/Lonely

3rd - Not A Girl

4th - Boys

5th- Slave 4 U

  • Like 1
Link to post
5 minutes ago, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

It is a part of Britney's (the 3rd album's) awkwardness. In my opinion, it is not only a transitional album, but it is also a demonstration of what a meeting with your record label results in.

Cinderella kind of had that teen pop song structure that could fit in OIDIA. (Record labels like to milk things that have proven to be successful.) It could be track before/after ''What You See (Is What You Get)'' or "Can't Make You Love Me". So, it could have served as an appropriate lead single. Maybe , it would've charted worse than Slave 4 U in the US, but it could've also resulted in better first week/s album sales. The GP wouldn't have felt like Britney has done a full image change. 

Not that I am trying to do the Butterfly Effect but getting things racier as the era progressed, might have been a not bad idea 

1st single - Cinderella/Bombastic Love/Anticipating

2nd Single - Overprotected/Lonely

3rd - Not A Girl

4th - Boys

5th- Slave 4 U

I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t do the following single order tbh, because no one appeared to push for What It’s Like to Be Me to be a single track, when it is in fact one of the best songs on the album to have aged very well. 

I would’ve personally done the folllowing: 

1) Slave 4 U 

2)  What it’s Like to Be Me

 

Obviously in an alternate universe I think Overprotected would still be released around the same time it was, but it would be for crossroads as it fits better with the teen pop sound. I also think Wade Robson choreo and Justiney vocals (without it being a featured song cuz that’s cheesy and really would’ve been at the time if they collabed) would have been huge on MTV even with a radio ban in the US. since they wanted to test the waters a bit and see how her teen pop sonfs would perform after a transitional song like slave, I think the better alternative to Overptotected would have been what it’s like to be me. It’s lighter than slave, but still within the theme of maturity in terms of content and production. She also acknowledges her star power here and growing up, which executes a similar theme to overprotected. 
 

3) after that I would’ve continued with the Boys Co-Ed remix as the third single  to head back to the more Neptune’s esque production and new ‘rnb’ pop she was merging really well with slave. It would’ve reminded the public she was still heading in a new direction despite still being able to make more poppier music as with WILTBM. perhapsi  would’ve combined the bridge from the original track and the remix as they did on the onyx hotel tour, if I was the Neptunes at the time 

 

4) Before the Goodbye or I Runaway as the fourth and final single. I realize this Goodbye is an unfinished song and only on some of the deluxe editions internationally, but it fits and it’s kind of like the end of the era in a way. It is more ballady and really reminds me of the Velvet Rope era by Janet. I runaway is alternatively a teen pop song that would’ve still fit so well in the 2001 landscape, bridging her between teen pop and Natalie imburglia. Both songs show her progress over other teen pop productions at the time which follow the same Max Martin formula 

 

 

Link to post
33 minutes ago, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

It is a part of Britney's (the 3rd album's) awkwardness. In my opinion, it is not only a transitional album, but it is also a demonstration of what a meeting with your record label results in.

Cinderella kind of had that teen pop song structure that could fit in OIDIA. (Record labels like to milk things that have proven to be successful.) It could be track before/after ''What You See (Is What You Get)'' or "Can't Make You Love Me". So, it could have served as an appropriate lead single. Maybe , it would've charted worse than Slave 4 U in the US, but it could've also resulted in better first week/s album sales. The GP wouldn't have felt like Britney has done a full image change. 

Not that I am trying to do the Butterfly Effect but getting things racier as the era progressed, might have been a not bad idea 

1st single - Cinderella/Bombastic Love/Anticipating

2nd Single - Overprotected/Lonely

3rd - Not A Girl

4th - Boys

5th- Slave 4 U

I think they should've released separate singles for the movies and the album

Britney:

  • I'm a  Slave 4 U
  • Lonely
  • Bombastic Love
  • Cinderella
  • What It's Like to Be Me / Let Me Be

Crossroads:

  • Overprotected
  • I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman
  • I Love Rock 'n' Roll

Austin Powers:

  • Boys

 

they were releasing different singles around the world at the same time anyways. Instead of repeating the same singles, they should've taken the advantage to release different stuff. Actually, there are reports that several countries got some radial singles. Besides Anticipating which was released in some places, and That's Where You Take Me that was released in the Philippines, they apparently did send Cinderella to the radio in some places, and Bombastic Love in some Latin American countries. 

  • Like 1

 I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

Link to post
  • Exhale+
10 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Crossroads:

  • Overprotected

I don't think Overprotected really fits the Crossroads soundtrack. It is much better on Britney because she is basically reflecting on the status of her life during the recording of this album. Plus, Overprotected was basically made for the Britney album. I think tracks like Bombastic Love would make sense more with the Crossroad soundtrack.

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Link to post
51 minutes ago, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

Not that I am trying to do the Butterfly Effect but getting things racier as the era progressed, might have been a not bad idea 

This would have definitely worked! While Slave 4 U became iconic and timeless, it was a mistake starting the album with it. Britney should have played it smart and transitioned slowly (the way Taylor does). 

Link to post
Just now, Blackout2006 said:

I don't think Overprotected really fits the Crossroads soundtrack. It is much better on Britney because she is basically reflecting on the status of her life during the recording of this album. Plus, Overprotected was basically made for the Britney album. I think tracks like Bombastic Love would make sense more with the Crossroad soundtrack.

I love Overprotected, but it really fits the movie theme too in a sense. I think the part about dealing with her father is stronger than the love story. Plus she was already singing it on the movie. Plus the movie soundtrack would've needed a strong single besides Not a Girl, and the karaoke cover.

I don't know what's people's issue with Bombastic Love, but to me it sounds great. Its the classic Britney song, and it would've served good to soften the transition along with tracks like Slave or Lonely. Even if Anticipating has "edgier" lyrics, the melody is so cheesy and corny, I don't know why Britney preferred that. I give more value to the overall sound of a song than the lyrical content :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: As I said, it sounds like classic Britney, even one of the Pepsi ads sounds like a Bombastic Love ripoff. It is a very commercial sound. 

  • Like 1

 I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

Link to post
  • Exhale+
9 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I love Overprotected, but it really fits the movie theme too in a sense. I think the part about dealing with her father is stronger than the love story. Plus she was already singing it on the movie. Plus the movie soundtrack would've needed a strong single besides Not a Girl, and the karaoke cover.

Yeah but isn't the theme of the album about breaking away from your chains, new-found maturity and topics like that? I mean, tracks like INAG,NYAW were for sure recorded for the Crossroads and that is what creates the in-cohesion in the record. 

13 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I don't know what's people's issue with Bombastic Love, but to me it sounds great. Its the classic Britney song, and it would've served good to soften the transition along with tracks like Slave or Lonely. Even if Anticipating has "edgier" lyrics, the melody is so cheesy and corny, I don't know why Britney preferred that. I give more value to the overall sound of a song than the lyrical content :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: As I said, it sounds like classic Britney, even one of the Pepsi ads sounds like a Bombastic Love ripoff. It is a very commercial sound. 

It is a good song, it for sure sounds like classic Britney. I think people have a prob with Cinderella rather.

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Link to post
3 hours ago, Rick101 said:

Oh :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: radial singles 

yeah, like not official singles, just for promo, after all the official singles had been released

Only Philippines went beyond that by getting that mythical That's Where You Take Me video in 2003 

 I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

Link to post
3 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Yeah but isn't the theme of the album about breaking away from your chains, new-found maturity and topics like that? I mean, tracks like INAG,NYAW were for sure recorded for the Crossroads and that is what creates the in-cohesion in the record. 

It is a good song, it for sure sounds like classic Britney. I think people have a prob with Cinderella rather.

I mean, it's hard to tell, since that's the only course of events we know. But maybe if the Crossroads songs weren't included, she would've done something more urban with The Neptunes, perhaps? 

She always said in interviews that Not a Girl, she could relate to some extent, but it was more about the character of the movie. It's like she was always trying to distance herself from it. Same with Overprotected, she used to say she felt more overprotected back home, before she started her career. 

  • Like 1

 I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

Link to post
6 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

yeah, like not official singles, just for promo, after all the official singles had been released

Only Philippines went beyond that by getting that mythical That's Where You Take Me video in 2003 

Omg I’m so dumb I didn’t think radial singles were a thing 

I thought you meant radio LOL 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Rick101 said:

Omg I’m so dumb I didn’t think radial singles were a thing 

I thought you meant radio LOL 

:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: yeah I meant that

so apparently radial in English doesn't mean the same as radial in Spanish, but in Spanish it means related to radio, that's what I meant :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: Well, google says it's related to radius (which in Spanish it's also "radio"), so to some extent they refer to the same concept :P

 I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

Link to post
On 4/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, PokemonSpears said:

unlike Slumber Party, which couldn't be saved even with an amazing video, a killer video for Cinderella would've done wonders. It had the potential to be an iconic videoclip like everything she did back then. Maybe it wouldn't have impacted the US because of the radio ban anyways, but internationally it would've done great.

However, I still prefer Bombastic Love and Lonely 

Cinderella was a Stronger 2.0

 

Im not sure how successful it could have been since teen-bubblegum pop was at its end (of not finished already) by 2002. Slave and Boys urban sound was the new thing and I actually wish she had followed that path. 

 

Yes, the Britney album was great, it's actually in my top 4. Many songs out of it had the potencial to be a single. Althought the teen pop trend was done, the catchy sound was still good. I love Cinderella but I would have chosen What It's Like To Be Me, I just imagine the kind of slayage of choreo we could have had. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: yeah I meant that

so apparently radial in English doesn't mean the same as radial in Spanish, but in Spanish it means related to radio, that's what I meant :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: Well, google says it's related to radius (which in Spanish it's also "radio"), so to some extent they refer to the same concept :P

That’s so cool actually! Thank you for explaining that, it’s always great to learn more about other languages :)  

how are you?

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block