Demi Lovato gets heat for feeling survivor's guilt in light of DMX's overdose: it could've been me

• Leader

Demi Lovato is getting backlash on the Internet (what's new? 🙄) for saying she feels a bit of survivor's guilt following DMX's overdose. 

She wonders why she didn't suffer the same fate as DMX following her overdose, but is grateful of course.

I think it's weird the Internet is saying she's making DMX's tragedy about her. She was clearly asked about this during her interview with TMZ (why is she speaking with TMZ smh). 

Exhale, thoughts? Is Demi overstepping or is the Internet being dramatic? Sound off.

Related:

demi-dmx.jpg.c6e8ca1e21a5b2d0728a1c8212d54ff9.jpg

Man idk. 

TMZ asked a question and she answered it as best as she could. It's an interview with her and about her. Maybe she didn't speak it the best or most poetically, you can tell she is trying to he careful about the words she chooses. 

But like I don't feel like she overstepped a boundary. Does the DMX situation make you afraid? 

"Yea it scares me. It could have been me. Why does it happen to some and not others?"

Like... nothing wrong with that imo. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Love 4
  • Like 1

You can’t shame someone for their feelings. It’s 2021 sheesh, can people let a girl breathe without getting triggered? She got asked so she answered.  :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:
Plus it probably is triggering for her considering all the press and stuff she is doing and having to be super vulnerable about her past issues. Now, another celeb overdosed? Of course she will get asked. People need to freaking chill.

I’ll be the first person to say that I think Demi is still making some poor choices, but a lot of times people turn to addictive behaviors BECAUSE they are burying their emotions. Now they are trying to tell her not to feel these things? :gunriah_mariah_carey:

People need to grow tf up.

• Love 5
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Don't say this! 

She's working hard on herself, I'm rooting for her that she won't. 

Is she really working hard on herself though? She cannot be completely sober. She created a SHROOM ROOM in her house that supposedly was created to spark inspiration and creativity but... wouldn’t you stay away from naming a room after a **** when you are a struggling addict?

Demi gave off narcissism vibes in the documentary. She claims to have depression that not many people can relate to... but that is simply bullshiz.  

She cannot cope with her reality without surrending to SOME type of ****. She still has a long way to go and honestly, it seems like her friends and family enable her behavior... 

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, CinderHELLa said:

Man idk. 

TMZ asked a question and she answered it as best as she could. It's an interview with her and about her. Maybe she didn't speak it the best or most poetically, you can tell she is trying to he careful about the words she chooses. 

But like I don't feel like she overstepped a boundary. Does the DMX situation make you afraid? 

"Yea it scares me. It could have been me. Why does it happen to some and not others?"

Like... nothing wrong with that imo. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

Agreed!

43 minutes ago, InTheZone4Life said:

You can’t shame someone for their feelings. It’s 2021 sheesh, can people let a girl breathe without getting triggered? She got asked so she answered.  :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:
Plus it probably is triggering for her considering all the press and stuff she is doing and having to be super vulnerable about her past issues. Now, another celeb overdosed? Of course she will get asked. People need to freaking chill.

I’ll be the first person to say that I think Demi is still making some poor choices, but a lot of times people turn to addictive behaviors BECAUSE they are burying their emotions. Now they are trying to tell her not to feel these things? :gunriah_mariah_carey:

People need to grow tf up.

This!

35 minutes ago, 2K16NEY said:

Is she really working hard on herself though? She cannot be completely sober. She created a SHROOM ROOM in her house that supposedly was created to spark inspiration and creativity but... wouldn’t you stay away from naming a room after a **** when you are a struggling addict?

Demi gave off narcissism vibes in the documentary. She claims to have depression that not many people can relate to... but that is simply bullshiz.  

She cannot cope with her reality without surrending to SOME type of ****. She still has a long way to go and honestly, it seems like her friends and family enable her behavior... 

Right. Giving a NAME to a ROOM doesn't mean anything. Sure it may not be the best name but hell it's her house so you can't really judge that.

I can see the narcissist vibes but that could change in the future, you never know. My thinking is that her behaviour was a product of her inner struggles; it reflected that.

She didn't claim to have depression that people cannot relate to. She said that people may not understand how hard it was for her because people were making up memes, jokes, and the fact that she was just another celebrity that's OD-ed kind of dehumanised her. You know, the old mentality of "not caring about celebrities cuz they're rich". She must be doing it for attention. It's a gimmick, etc.

Well, yes but she doesn't endorse surrendering to some type of ***** to other people. She says that the whole abstinence mentality didn't help her at all and it backfired in the end. So she's looking for some options that are best for HER and only HER. She's stressed on multiple times that everything's been discussed with her medical team.

What do you mean by enabling that behaviour? Her team controlled her severely for YEARS and this is where it got her. Not to dismiss that it was her own choice to do that but she's acknowledged it already. 

23 minutes ago, merci12 said:

She needs to change her narrative :brityawning_britney_chaotic_sunglasses_tired: 

It's always '*****, eating disorder and rehab'

At this point GP may not even realize she's a singer :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

Scooter and herself confirmed long time ago that they're not here to sell a pop record. They want to tell a story. It's HER story and as an artist she is allowed to express herself through her art. If people don't like what they see, just move on and let her deal with it.

I find it veeeeery ironic how inconsiderate and nasty some people here are of Demi's situation and yet they vouch for humility for Britney's.

Be kind.

• Love 4

She is making it about herself if she draws parallels to her own past and the perspective is about how she survived an overdose.

She should just express her empathy, compassion, root for him and wish his family a lot of support and love. 
It’s the me me me generation.

She should show some respect and be humble by not incorporating her own experiences into a person’s serious tragedy.
Imo she needs media training and humility.

She’s not an expert and she shouldn’t advertise that suicidals and addicts should feel shame for surviving wtf. She should feel shame for putting herself so far out **** wise but that’s another story and shame should not be advertised for any way unless it’s criminal subjects. Cuz it’s almost never productive. Self reflection is. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Geralt_of_Rivia said:

Agreed!

This!

Right. Giving a NAME to a ROOM doesn't mean anything. Sure it may not be the best name but hell it's her house so you can't really judge that.

I can see the narcissist vibes but that could change in the future, you never know. My thinking is that her behaviour was a product of her inner struggles; it reflected that.

She didn't claim to have depression that people cannot relate to. She said that people may not understand how hard it was for her because people were making up memes, jokes, and the fact that she was just another celebrity that's OD-ed kind of dehumanised her. You know, the old mentality of "not caring about celebrities cuz they're rich". She must be doing it for attention. It's a gimmick, etc.

Well, yes but she doesn't endorse surrendering to some type of ***** to other people. She says that the whole abstinence mentality didn't help her at all and it backfired in the end. So she's looking for some options that are best for HER and only HER. She's stressed on multiple times that everything's been discussed with her medical team.

What do you mean by enabling that behaviour? Her team controlled her severely for YEARS and this is where it got her. Not to dismiss that it was her own choice to do that but she's acknowledged it already. 

Scooter and herself confirmed long time ago that they're not here to sell a pop record. They want to tell a story. It's HER story and as an artist she is allowed to express herself through her art. If people don't like what they see, just move on and let her deal with it.

I find it veeeeery ironic how inconsiderate and nasty some people here are of Demi's situation and yet they vouch for humility for Britney's.

Be kind.

A trippy looking room called “The Shroom Room” sounds like a massive trigger for someone who struggles with *****. Someone who has decided to smoke w33d ... but what happens when her tolerance for w33d goes down? and she doesn’t get as high as before? She’s going to seek out stronger *****.

As far as facing depression, of course, she’s a public figure so wr can’t relate to her on THAT level, but there are other celebrities that have battled addiction and like Elton John said, it will not work. Having one drink is just going to cause you to have another and another and another... 

Her team’s income depends on Demi’s ability to do her job. At the end of the day, it’s a business. If she relapses, then her team and everyone who works with her on tour (dancers, band, lighting m, etc) are out of a job. She is a bit of a liability. 

Demi’s had countless opportunities to turn her life around and she has failed every time. Clearly looking at her history, you can see that she does not know how to cope with her life without being on ***** or alcohol. She needs to discover healthy coping mechanisms and have friends who tell her straight up to get it the f together. Even her sober companion was allllll “well if she wants to smoke a little and drink that’s fine” excuse me you’re a SOBER companion. Demi is stuck in a cycle that will go on forever and ever.

Britney and Demi’s situations are not comparable so I won’t even go there.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, 2K16NEY said:

A trippy looking room called “The Shroom Room” sounds like a massive trigger for someone who struggles with *****. Someone who has decided to smoke w33d ... but what happens when her tolerance for w33d goes down? and she doesn’t get as high as before? She’s going to seek out stronger *****.

As far as facing depression, of course, she’s a public figure so wr can’t relate to her on THAT level, but there are other celebrities that have battled addiction and like Elton John said, it will not work. Having one drink is just going to cause you to have another and another and another... 

Her team’s income depends on Demi’s ability to do her job. At the end of the day, it’s a business. If she relapses, then her team and everyone who works with her on tour (dancers, band, lighting m, etc) are out of a job. She is a bit of a liability. 

Demi’s had countless opportunities to turn her life around and she has failed every time. Clearly looking at her history, you can see that she does not know how to cope with her life without being on ***** or alcohol. She needs to discover healthy coping mechanisms and have friends who tell her straight up to get it the f together. Even her sober companion was allllll “well if she wants to smoke a little and drink that’s fine” excuse me you’re a SOBER companion. Demi is stuck in a cycle that will go on forever and ever.

Britney and Demi’s situations are not comparable so I won’t even go there.

They mentioned that she's taking a pill that's blocking some radicals so she doesn't get the high effect so for the moment it seems like they know what they're doing and that's so much we can say from the outside.

But she's failed so many times because they didn't work for her. She didn't have control over what her treatment is going to be, who the people around her are going to be and so on. She was told what to do as opposed to be guided and truly supported in a less extremist way. And if she's failed what? At what point do you decide that her story isn't worth sharing or that she herself as an artist/person isn't worth because of her failures? People learn while they're alive and clearly she's still learning. 

Yes, of course they're different but that doesn't give people the pass card to humiliate one person for their struggles and their type of expressing their art or whatever while preaching for kindness for another. If you'll vouch for kindness and humility, do it for all, otherwise it looks hypocritical. Of course you're entitled to your opinion and that's fine. Agree to disagree. I just shared an observation because people can be very nasty towards Demi who has personal struggles. At the centre of it all is a human who's struggling and is trying to cope up somehow. Might as well show some humility.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block