Jump to content

Major Songwriters sign open letter to the Music Industry: "Stop Demanding Credit for Songs You Didn't Write"


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2021 just became the apocalypse for certain pop girls.

Beyoncé

Beyonce and Selena Gomez are shaking in their boots. 

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Alexanda said:

 

Everyone has bills to pay and it is kinda their choice but at the same time: It's not

Get some money on their terms or nothing at all is just not fair. 

And it's understandable that they want changes for the new generation of songwriters. 

It's stealing after all! 

Everyone does have bills to pay but we all have a choice on what we do to get them paid. I’m betting it’s caused by less work or people not wanting to work with them anymore. This is always how these things start. The artists demanding it are in the wrong too, but so are the songwriters agreeing to it in the first place. That’s some bs to talk about it after benefiting for so long 

  • Love 1

                🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻

Link to post
15 hours ago, InTheZone4Life said:

I’m honestly scared for Dua. Some of these people have written on her biggest tracks :truthtea_sips_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_red_mug_spill:

You totally missed the point of the letter. Nobody is coming for Dua.

Dua didn’t write New Rules and she’s not credited as a writer on it either. The fact that writers who have worked with Dua are part of the campaign doesn’t meant she specifically took credit for any songs she didn’t write. Dua IS involved in the songwriting of the majority of her songs.

  • Love 1
  • Like 2
Link to post

I would love for there to be a movement where songwriters call out the artists that actually do this. Obviously Britney doesn't (except maybe Britney Jean?) but there have been rumors that other artists do (cough Beyonce cough). It's not cool and I can't believe people get away with it. It's fraud and they get paid for it which is even worse.

  • Love 2
  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Exhale+
2 hours ago, Sia said:

You totally missed the point of the letter. Nobody is coming for Dua.

Dua didn’t write New Rules and she’s not credited as a writer on it either. The fact that writers who have worked with Dua are part of the campaign doesn’t meant she specifically took credit for any songs she didn’t write. Dua IS involved in the songwriting of the majority of her songs.

I actually wasn’t talking about the New Rules song specifically. She has writing credits on every song on FN. And multiple people from this list worked on that album.

  • Like 5
Link to post
  • Exhale+
23 hours ago, InTheZone4Life said:

It's long been an "open secret" in the industry dating back to Elvis Presley.

Imagine if he was a female pop star. He would have to live his full life hearing "sHe dOeSn'T wRitE hEr sOnGs, sHe iS a PuPpeT" :lmao:

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Like 1

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Link to post
  • Exhale+
6 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Britney remains unbothered!  :imcute_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_paris_french_smile_grin_happy:

But those BJ writing credits.. gurl..  :gtfo_britney_pink_wig_2007_mad_annoyed_irritated_stare:

I really wish that album could be deleted and erased :tiffanycries_ny_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_crying_tears_sobbing_sad: Its going to ruin our girls rep :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Link to post
45 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Imagine if he was a female pop star. He would have to live his full life hearing "sHe dOeSn'T wRitE hEr sOnGs, sHe iS a PuPpeT" :lmao:

Elvis and MJ both faced terrible accusations about grooming, Elvis is celebrated while Michael is looked at as a, "creep", by many. Just goes to show how much Elvis benefitted from being excused by society for being a white man. :explainlol_stare_spin:

  • Haha 2
  • Like 3
Link to post
35 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

I really wish that album could be deleted and erased :tiffanycries_ny_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_crying_tears_sobbing_sad: Its going to ruin our girls rep :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

TBH, Britney fans are LYING to themselves when they say that the album is still good, just not to Britney's standards. At BEST, Work Work and maybe Perfume & Alien are somewhat decent tracks but that's it. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

  • Love 3
Link to post
  • Exhale+
Just now, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Elvis and MJ both faced terrible accusations about grooming, Elvis is celebrated while Michael is looked at as a, "creep", by many. Just goes to show how much Elvis benefitted from being excused by society for being a white man. :explainlol_stare_spin:

Exactly aq9Apl8.gif

When for male white artist, everyone says "separate the work from the personal lives of the artist" but when it comes to female pop stars, that statement goes out of the door aq9Apl8.gif 

  • Like 4

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Link to post
  • Exhale+
Just now, Hooked-On-Knee said:

TBH, Britney fans are LYING to themselves when they say that the album is still good, just not to Britney's standards. At BEST, Work Work and maybe Perfume & Alien are somewhat decent tracks but that's it. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Dont forget Hold On Tite bestay :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: Otherwise, the album was vomit to the ears aq9Apl8.gif Oh Britney, why couldn't u have just made it an EP, WHY a full studio album udxwigdosdx aq9Apl8.gif

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Link to post
2 hours ago, InTheZone4Life said:

I actually wasn’t talking about the New Rules song specifically. She has writing credits on every song on FN. And multiple people from this list worked on that album.

Yah, and its been shown that she does write on her songs. The fact that people who she's worked with are part of this campaign does not mean that she herself is stealing credits. She may not write the entire song herself, but it's pretty obvious she's there and plays a big part of the lyrical process.

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Dont forget Hold On Tite bestay :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: Otherwise, the album was vomit to the ears aq9Apl8.gif Oh Britney, why couldn't u have just made it an EP, WHY a full studio album udxwigdosdx aq9Apl8.gif

To be honest, FF and Britney Jean would have been much better albums if Britney was serving vocals like on Blackout. Like even if they didn't change anything, the vocals would have still made those terrible songs sound better. But I agree, should have been an EP.

I think after Circus, it was time to move on from the avant-disco sound. Britney sounds so bored on the FF album but it was at least somewhat good. She should have released Glory in 2014 instead because Katy's Darkhorse song was what was the beginning of it being "trendy" for pop girls to release trap music trap music and while Glory isn't trap, it would have fit in a lot better being a tropical house album then it would if it was released in 2013 when EDM was starting to die. 

Plus 2014 and 2016 were Britney's best performances at the Vegas residency (2014 she was serving choreography, 2016 she was serving energy. If her energy was more like her prime because she released Glory, then IMAGINE how she would have done in 2014 when she was performing super fluidly. 2014 just isn't as remembered as much because she looked so bored)

Link to post

Ok fair. But there is another side to it. I remember Taylor Swift (who we all damn well know write her own stuff) said some producers won’t work with her unless THEY get a song writing credit. And how some have hesitated working on a song she wrote start to finish unless they get a piece. So it’s both ways. But not everyone is a writer like Taylor so I get it 

  • Love 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block