Major Songwriters sign open letter to the Music Industry: "Stop Demanding Credit for Songs You Didn't Write"

1 hour ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

For anyone who is wondering why this is happening now, let me phrase it simply.

Β 

I read the other day that a songwriter gets 0.002c for a song they've written thats been streamed, and it would take around 1M streams to see $2000 on a song.

Β 

So imagine this, you're a songwriter. One day you get a phone call from a huge global A-list celebrity musician; they want to sing the song you wrote, produced, did vocals on etc. That you sent to a producer. You agree....

...you then find out, they're given lead writing credits. Why? Because it's a matter of image. They changed nothing, nor added nothing.Β 

So while they recieve thousands from streams, sales etc. They're then gonna go out and do a global tour that will make them millions, and they'll get sponsored and so brand deals.

While the song has to reach 1M for you to see a living wage...

...you cant say anything because you've signed NDAs that prohibit you from making a statement, and you don't have the capacity to fight a legal battle....

...and even if you did say you did the work, the a lister possibly has an army of fans who will criticise you...

...all because you did your job and want fair treatment.

Does that seem fair?

As much as people are pointing fingers at Beyonce, this could affect so many, britney jean is still part of her discography whether we like it or not.

This is definitely huge for songwriters! Hopefully this also helps them get much needed exposure and some of them that want to become artists themselves will be able to break into the performance side of music :yay_britney_excited_ftr_for_the_record_2008_cheering_clapping:

• Love 2
2 hours ago, InTheZone4Life said:

I’m honestly scared for Dua. Some of these people have written on her biggest tracks :truthtea_sips_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_red_mug_spill:

I kinda am too, I mean, I'd be more than fine if she didn't write her own songs... buuuut taking credit it's just no.

I love her, MAAAAADLY, but I don't know if anyone has had the chance of watching the Netflix docuseries called Song Exploder? In her episode they explain how they crafted 'Love Again', and honestly, it was quite notorious that her team was the one doing all the job. Of course she was there being the doll she is, but her involvement seemed to be merely done in the recording booth. From what I picked up, she came up with the line "I'll sink my teeth in disbelief"... but well, let's see how this unfolds.Β 

• Love 3
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, Adriannn said:

DROP THEM NAAAAAMES

:yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Madonna and beyonce! In the past it’s been said both artist has came in to record the song, theyΒ changed 3 wordsΒ and demanded songwriting credits!! Β 

Example: Madonna justify your love and beyonce irreplaceable! Please google these topics and you will see!Β 5932d5352000002b00be040a.jpeg?ops=scalef

• Haha 1
  • Like 4
59 minutes ago, Adriannn said:

I kinda am too, I mean, I'd be more than fine if she didn't write her own songs... buuuut taking credit it's just no.

I love her, MAAAAADLY, but I don't know if anyone has had the chance of watching the Netflix docuseries called Song Exploder? In her episode they explain how they crafted 'Love Again', and honestly, it was quite notorious that her team was the one doing all the job. Of course she was there being the doll she is, but her involvement seemed to be merely done in the recording booth. From what I picked up, she came up with the line "I'll sink my teeth in disbelief"... but well, let's see how this unfolds.Β 

Im gonna look this show up! It sounds super interesting!

Β 

41 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Boycott themΒ :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:Β y’all cashed the checks and NOW you’re speaking up?Β :ohreallylol_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_ny_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe_cackle:Β I get where they’re coming from, but they were more than comfortable agreeing to it and now they’re growing ballsy and teaming up together?Β :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:Β 

It said that artists were using bully tactics to scare them and manipulate the situation. Like telling these songwriters that "You need me to sing your song otherwise you'll never make it." That's manipulative and emotionally abusive. I can totally see that kind of attitude coming from certain artists tbh. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

• Like 3

Β 

5 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Boycott themΒ :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:Β y’all cashed the checks and NOW you’re speaking up?Β :ohreallylol_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_ny_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe_cackle:Β I get where they’re coming from, but they were more than comfortable agreeing to it and now they’re growing ballsy and teaming up together?Β :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:Β 

Everyone has bills to pay and it is kinda their choice but at the same time: It's not

Get some money on their terms or nothing at all is just not fair.Β 

And it's understandableΒ that they want changes for the new generation of songwriters.Β 

It's stealing after all!Β 

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Γ—
Γ—

We noticed you're using an ad blocker Β :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated πŸ’œΒ Β 

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. πŸ™

I've disabled ad block