Comparing yourself to others on social media sucks (new vlog!)

• Leader

Hey Exhale! The other day I was scrolling through Instagram and before I knew it I was feeling down. I forgot how easy it is sometimes to slip into this mode where you compare yourself to everyone which never leads to anywhere good. I just have to remember that Instagram is not reality. One way I escape from the digital toxicity is by running to the gym (I know big surprise lol). 

Do any of you ever feel this way? What do you do? Would love to hear from you in the comments. :katycry_perry_crying_tears_sad_sobbing:social-media-vlog.jpg.b1acc5a23152e2c5c454e9a597a241c6.jpg

PS - forgot to mention in the video 🤦🏼‍♂️  the shirt I'm wearing says HWPO - that stands for "hard work pays off." 

• Love 2

This site is the most social media and reddit(I only read post but it's usually about questions like why am I not losing weight) that i use. I have instagram and Facebook but to me, most of the times people make fools of themselves and I enjoy it evily. I also have to say, it is brave to put yourself out there but my experiences are for me, not for someone to casually look at and like. I am much happier not using it then I was back in the day when I cared. The people who I use to care if they liked something, turned out not to be so important. 

Last note is social media allows people to gain a profile of who you are by what you like and post. I dont like that aspect of it and these new algorithms can predict your behavior based off that stuff.... just saying. 

Good vlog and like the discussion, sorry I am not modern enough haha.

social media facebook GIF

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Leader
13 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

I compare myself to noone but my yesterday self :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously:.

At least i like to convince myself of that cuz it feels like a healthy thing to do. Cant compete with photoshop, filters and Victoria's Secret anyway :boredashell_pink_britney_hmm_blink_well_umm:.  

Yea I try to be conscious about NOT comparing myself, but then sometimes my brain goes on autopilot and next thing you know I'm like :clownery_makeup_meme:

• Love 2

I compare myself all the time but I don't get why it has to be some pathological negative thing. I compare myself to people that are worse off than me and it makes me grateful for my circumstances and the decisions I've to put me where I am. I compare myself to people better than me and I get inspiration from them to better myself in areas where I'm lacking. 

Comparing yourself to others is 100% normal, going through life with blinders on to avoid comparisons is not healthy or realistic. As long as you're not compulsively beating yourself up over who you are then you're golden. 

• Love 1
  • Leader
7 hours ago, ChromaticaGlory said:

I've had to do a social media cleanse a couple of times, and it felt amazing. I don't use social media as much anymore because I've had to learn that I shouldn't define my worth based on likes, and comments. Trust me. It's unhealthy, and it can bring down your confidence, and self-esteem :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

Smart move!! I’ve actually tried to be on it less as of recent as well. 

• Love 1
  • Leader
16 hours ago, rower2222 said:

This site is the most social media and reddit(I only read post but it's usually about questions like why am I not losing weight) that i use. I have instagram and Facebook but to me, most of the times people make fools of themselves and I enjoy it evily. I also have to say, it is brave to put yourself out there but my experiences are for me, not for someone to casually look at and like. I am much happier not using it then I was back in the day when I cared. The people who I use to care if they liked something, turned out not to be so important. 

Last note is social media allows people to gain a profile of who you are by what you like and post. I dont like that aspect of it and these new algorithms can predict your behavior based off that stuff.... just saying. 

Good vlog and like the discussion, sorry I am not modern enough haha.

social media facebook GIF

Lol that GIF. Exactly. Social media isn't real. With these vlogs, I've been trying to be more authentic and genuine. So if I look like a mess, hair is crazy, eyes tired etc it's like WELP, this is me and I'm not going to throw a filter on it etc. That's why I have been having so much fun vlogging, cause I can just be me and if people don't like it then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I don't have social media apart from breatheheavy so I don't really compare myself to anyone (xcept with some Bible characters...). Sometimes I do get a blow to my ego due to my ***ual attractions and it brings me down a bit and compare myself to the more "normal" acting and hetero***ual guys. But then I realize that I know about God and that He has chosen me to serve Him and I feel happy!😊

• Love 1
  • Leader
On 3/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

I compare myself all the time but I don't get why it has to be some pathological negative thing. I compare myself to people that are worse off than me and it makes me grateful for my circumstances and the decisions I've to put me where I am. I compare myself to people better than me and I get inspiration from them to better myself in areas where I'm lacking. 

Comparing yourself to others is 100% normal, going through life with blinders on to avoid comparisons is not healthy or realistic. As long as you're not compulsively beating yourself up over who you are then you're golden. 

I do agree with you in that comparing yourself to others is inherently neutral, and it's only when we apply specific meaning to that when things can get sticky. 

• 1 month later...

Tbh can’t relate anymore. Maybe I felt that way for a while in my early 20s but I’m in my late 20s now. Priorities change. It’s hard for me to care for others from across the world who are completely irrelevant to my own life. They are literally just pixels on a screen. :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

• Like 1

I will quote my Mom on this subject:

”When you compare yourself to others, you either feel better or worse about yourself, and neither is a good place to be.”

Be your best YOU! With that said, I am so glad I am not on social media. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block