This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Femme Fatale' album in the United States in 2011 (March 29)

• Super Mods

I remember when this album came out.

I bought a physical copy of it from walmart and remember

feeling a little underwhelmed cause I felt all the songs sounded the same.

But regardless, I still have a soft spot for it since it came out my last year of high school.

So many memories

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Caleb Ellis said:

Britney would state in multiple promo interviews that her favourite song is “He about to lose me”.

This is such a hard listen because it's so good that it leaves me staring out the window wondering where I messed up and it's not even about me.

• Haha 3
  • Content Curators

Britney’s infamous GMA announcement for the promotional performances for the album is often referenced in the community, The prompter Britney was reading from is mocked by fans who say it sounded like Britney was announcing that she was performing for the first time ever at a special concert, at that point she was a decade into her career. There’s been rabbit holes of theories suggesting Britney had the flu on the day from how monotone her voice sounded

• Like 2
  • Content Curators

In Britney’s MTV documentary “I am the femme fatale” Britney said she loves having vanilla candles 🕯and tea ️ And said she only chose songs for the album that she liked. Fans would question her well-being and were concerned by how zoned out she seemed during the film.  

• Love 1

I have such a love-hate relationship with this album. The era was perfectly packaged but the cracks in the cship were starting to show. The cold/aloof attitude she took on this era was mistakenly received as laziness and apathy by the public, which I almost wish was true because the reality was much darker. It's interesting to look back on the "blunders" of that promo rollout (ie flat performances, one-word interview answers etc) knowing that they were her deliberate and subtle acts of defiance against teamcon.

• Like 3

This was such a time, this album came around 5 A.M in the morning the way I woke up early as soon as I saw my purchase is now complete on iTunes I was so ecstatic. I was going through a lot of study pressure during this time I was very excited to play this. I know how times have turned for this era now but this album is production heaven I still play this album while driving. 

This was the era when I started thinking of Britney deeply and how I felt that Britney perhaps doesn't wanna do this, I still remember the interview where the person asks her 'do you think you will keep doing this' and Britney with sad eyes fumbled and said 'I hope so' that clip is engraved in my head and I've never watched the interview again in my life after that. 

But i scrapped off the clip pretty quickly because of my career pressure and me wanting to get into a good college now from 2019 that clip in my head has been played a lot of times. 

Cannot believe it's been 11 years to this while not many of you like this album but I really like it, I also listen to it's instrumentals. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Caleb Ellis said:

There’s been rabbit holes of theories suggesting Britney had the flu on the day from how monotone her voice sounded

I think Britney was sick for most of early 2011 

Anyway the only songs I like that much on this album are Criminal and the Japanese bonus track Scary 

• Love 1

Such a great album! TTWE and IWG could have been #1 though 😭 And the album could easily be 4x platinum now if things hadn’t gone the way they had. 

Anyways, happy anniversary Femme Fatale! You were my favorite Brit album for so long! Still top 4!!

Fun Fact: this album was certified platinum shortly after its release in 2011 for SHIPPING over 1 million copies, not SELLING over 1 million copies. I get they had to really get creative to make it look like a bigger commercial success than it really was, but does anyone else think it’s weird that this has never really been addressed before? 

Also this is far and away my favorite album of hers and yes this was her last genuinely successful era, time for the comeback, *****!

• Like 1