Andrew Thomas, director of FKA Twigs' "Cellophane" music video, comments on Lil Nas X copying

• Leader

When I first watched Lil Nas X's new music video for "Call Me By Your Name," I was blown away. Still am, but I can't help but agree with the commentary going around that it shares a major likeness with FKA Twigs' video for "Cellophane." 

There's a reason it does. 

According to Andrew Thomas, who directed the "Cellophane" video, this was not an accident.

LNX used the same choreographer for the pole scene that helped Twigs. 

Check out the two clips together (scroll below).

Exhale, do you think the videos are similar? Thoughts?

fka-lilx.jpg.1b51582612bf053d36c3e9492fa3e56c.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-03-28-at-8-38-11-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-03-28-at-8-38-07-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-03-28-at-8-38-02-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-03-28-at-8-38-15-AM.png

Related:

Honestly, I feel like Lil Nas did this on purpose. His whole thing right now is causing controversy and clicks so he can avoid the sophomore slump. It's not the best idea tbh. He is starting this era off like crazy. Take Katy for an example. She has Teenage Dream for her second album. She had all these gimmicks and huge visuals. And it was AN ERA. But everything after will be compared to it. Same with Gaga and Born This Way. If you go HUGE on your second era by trying too hard, you end up fading. I think Gaga has found a way to avoid it, but others aren't as lucky and I don't find Lil Nas to be revolutionary enough to stick around for very long.

24 minutes ago, InTheZone4Life said:

Honestly, I feel like Lil Nas did this on purpose. His whole thing right now is causing controversy and clicks so he can avoid the sophomore slump. It's not the best idea tbh. He is starting this era off like crazy. Take Katy for an example. She has Teenage Dream for her second album. She had all these gimmicks and huge visuals. And it was AN ERA. But everything after will be compared to it. Same with Gaga and Born This Way. If you go HUGE on your second era by trying too hard, you end up fading. I think Gaga has found a way to avoid it, but others aren't as lucky and I don't find Lil Nas to be revolutionary enough to stick around for very long.

Gaga began to flop in 2013 then she paid for her number 1s with that film song, then she used Ariana to save her career, take notice her other singles flopped very fast 

• Like 1

This is nonsense. Getting upset over nothing. Everyone copies everyone. That’s literally pop music. 

tbh twigs should be happy she’s getting more exposure over this. There is no “artistic integrity” in pop music it’s about money, periodt. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

This is nonsense. Getting upset over nothing. Everyone copies everyone. That’s literally pop music. 

tbh twigs should be happy she’s getting more exposure over this. There is no “artistic integrity” in pop music it’s about money, periodt. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with FKA's video director. Everyone was like wow this is awesome and I remained silent because the similarities were uncanny and I was just thinking: "will someone notice?" This is a carbon copy of that video, with an influence of Eillish's All the Girls Go... And no matter how many times it has been done, it shouldn't be condoned or justified. People used to cut heads left and right. Should we say it's fine because it has always been done? And also I happen to think there are a few artists that actually put more effort and work, FKA is one of them. Why should this be dismissed? 

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block