Here's why ''sister albums trend'' is dangerous

In my opinion, the concept of a sister album isnt an issue, it's the quality of the music that can cheapen the concept. 

A Sister album is made to either accompany or be compared to a previous album; it works in a pair and as a stand alone.

Taylor struck gold by releasing two albums with a similar ideology and core theme, but the differences were enough to seperate them.

Ariana Grande releasing Thank U, Next was an incredibly successful follow up to her fizzle release that was Sweetener, but since then, she hasnt changed up her sound enough to make it feel fresh. It worked as a sister album because it followed a similar thematic core, and aesthetic.

Is it risky? If its planned correctly, no, but it can't be used to ride coattails of previous albums without complementing it.

Dangerous? Okay, I do think an artist coming back years later with an album that rehashes old material is bad... but I think a particular artist doing similar style albums close to each other isn't a bad idea. Taylor did Folklore and Evermore and yet both albums are amazing in their own ways while sharing the same styles and themes.

• Love 1
On 3/28/2021 at 12:13 AM, Look But Don't Touch said:

....''sister albums trend'' ....

• Their music becomes boring and cheap 
  • It's harder for new people to find their taste in these artists' music cause new albums = the same style, no possibility to like the new sound on new album as everything sounds the same 
  • Lack of creativity, no development (probably the worst thing ever) 
  • Artists are losing fans - people just can't relate to the same sound over and over, they get tired - for one album it's okay but not for three, only people that actually like the style stay 
  • The music most of the time isn't even good. Everything sounds VERY similar.

& more but I have to think about it :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

At least when it comes to Ariana, her singles from the albums are different. I have no idea about Taylor, cause I don't listen to her at all. Let me know I guess. evermore-folklore.jpg.821f3db3e020fa8b8791de314619e803.jpg

I personally do NOT like the idea of sister albums, but i disagree with some of your major points.

Ariana and T. Swift arent losing any fans. Saying the music isnt good is subjective. I know many who only started to love Taylor when she went Folk(which seems crazy to me).

It seems a lot of the criticism comes from pop/top 40 fans that grimace when their artists takes on a progressive/experimental project. I believe if the sister albums were more often pop albums, then they would be less criticized.

Saying all Lana albums sound the same is laughable. I think you could apply that point to any artists if you're going there.

Personally, I prefer artists that take a bold new direction with each album(E.G. Madonna, Miley Cyrus). Also, spacing their albums out gives me time to digest it thoroughly. I Say the same when an artists releases an album that has 20+ songs. And I love a good EP for being able to get familiar with the few songs on it.

I don’t love the trend either but it depends what they do with it. With Ariana, I felt she went backwards with positions. Taylor went forward. Lana is in the middle. 

not my favorite trend but not always a bad thing. I think it’s really catered to fans. 

• Like 1

It's funny how you first say that Artists can do whatever they want, and then you say:

• Lack of creativity, no development (probably the worst thing ever) 
  • Artists are losing fans - people just can't relate to the same sound over and over, they get tired - for one album it's okay but not for three, only people that actually like the style stay

I mean, yes Artists can decide to create something that is similar yet not the same, it is a signature style, so why not. Real artists do it because that is what they feel when creating it, not thinking if this will sell or make them loose fans. What you are talking about is a company, not an artist.

I'd be curious to see any examples you might have to back-up any of your bulleted claims since I don't much agree. I think sister / B-side albums are a great way for artists to extend their era and stay creatively involved with their material in a streaming era. Whether it's a set of reject tracks (ala Emotion/Dedicated side B), a quick follow-up (folklore/evermore), or a follow-up deluxe album (positions, Future Nostalgia), all are smart ways to keep eyes on the artist.

Sweetener, TUN and Positions are absolutely not sister albums lol, they both sound entirely different and are thematically varied. Sure, Ari's always going to be a pop/r&b artist at her core, but with each album she infuses something different (EDM, trap, so on). 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block