Here's why ''sister albums trend'' is dangerous

Hello, b tches, welcome back :hiii_britney_wave_glaad_2018_waving_hello:

So maybe you noticed that ''sister albums trend'' starts to be a thing as current biggest pop stars like Ariana and Taylor are doing this. They are releasing albums that sound very similar in a short period of time. Ariana with her three albums - Sweetener, Thank U, Next and Positions. Taylor with her two albums (so far probably) - Folkore, Evermore. I guess Lana Del Rey as well with all of her discography :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand: but that's kinda different when it comes to her as her whole career always was that way. Maybe you know more people, let us know. I know they are artists and they have a right to do whatever they want with her music but personally, I HATE HATE HATE this new trend :liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap: I have million reasons why. 

• Their music becomes boring and cheap 
  • It's harder for new people to find their taste in these artists' music cause new albums = the same style, no possibility to like the new sound on new album as everything sounds the same 
  • Lack of creativity, no development (probably the worst thing ever) 
  • Artists are losing fans - people just can't relate to the same sound over and over, they get tired - for one album it's okay but not for three, only people that actually like the style stay 
  • The music most of the time isn't even good. Everything sounds VERY similar.

& more but I have to think about it :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

At least when it comes to Ariana, her singles from the albums are different. I have no idea about Taylor, cause I don't listen to her at all. Let me know I guess. evermore-folklore.jpg.821f3db3e020fa8b8791de314619e803.jpg

• Like 1

If you think all of Lana's albums sound the same, then you're either deaf or haven't listened to them. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: I guess you could consider The Fame Monster the darker little sister of The Fame, but that's mostly just because of the marketing. Sonically the albums are completely different. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes: Personally, I consider Bedtimes Stories the lighter and classier little sister of Erotica. Not only was the point of the era to rebuild her public image post all the Erotica controversy, but they also sound pretty similar. Bedtimes Stories is just a bit lighter and less dancy. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I kind of see what you’re talking about but also I don’t think that the “dangerous.” I think sometimes artists just have a lot of extra tracks, and they want the world to hear them. Why not?

If Britney put out sister albums, our fandom would die because we got more music. If the albums do well, why not give fans more music? Carly Rae Jepsen did the same thing but just called the second album “B-Sides.” It’s just more music for fans. 

• Like 2

It shows lack of creativity imo. It's one of the reasons why I no longer stan Lana; BTD was amazing, but every album after that has followed the same sound and formula for the most part, although in a watered-down and tired way; her obsession with California and Nancy Sinatra is getting old. And don't get me started on Adele. :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

I'm not a fan of any of those artists, but I do like the idea of releasing similar albums, if they're released close together. If they waited an eternity to release a new album, only to sound the same as the previous one, THAT would be bad.

You say not having a new sound erases the possibility of getting new fans, but you don't consider that changing the sound might as well make the artist lose a huge part of the fans they already got. Not everyone will stay forever and will buy everything an artist puts out just because. You can see it with Britney herself and how there was a shift in her audience pre and post-Blackout.

If the music sounds "cheap", that's the artist fault. Quality should not always be affected by quantity, especially if they work with different people on a record. With Britney we have so many great unreleased tracks that could've perfectly made the final cut, so many we could make two or three albums just out of them. If we could dig up on everything she recorded for every era and got discarded, I bet we could get a "sister album" for each of her albums that would sound just as great as the main one.

In this day and age, artists can't grant themselves the privilege to get absent from the music scene for too long, or they'll be forgotten and most importantly, replaced by a new artist/trend and they'd lose their momentum. So I'm always in favor of riding on the success of a given album for as much as they can before moving onto something completely different.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Danielle1987 said:

I’ve always felt Blackout & Circus were (step)sister albums & I freaking love it :janet_jackson_chewing_eating_food:

• BOMT & OIDIA - 1 year apart sisters
  • Britney & ITZ - they are like those sisters that have like 5+ years apart
  • Blackout & Circus - you called them stepsisters lol
  • FF & BJ - the party girl and the mommy kind of sisters
  • All Glory editions and reissues - twins, triplets, quintuplets or however you wanna see it :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: 

• Love 1

I don't like the thing that they cut eras short to release new albums. I think these albums sound different even Folklore and Evermore.

Beautiful Trauma and Hurts 2B Human would be sisters too since most of the H2BH songs are from BT.

Rihanna would have a whole family since she was the one who started to release a new album every year.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block