This Day in Pop: 'Oops!... I Did It Again' single is released in 2000 (March 27)

oopssingle.jpg.fef28cb75d8c3256ad010f3ef6f700c0.jpg05.jpg

On March 27, 2000 Britney Spears released Oops!... I Did It Again, the lead single off her second studio album of the same name, hitting the Top 40 radio. She had already performed the song live during a concert of her Crazy 2k Tour, on March 08.

Oops!... I Did It Again was written and produced by Max Martin and Rami Yacoub and it was recorded in late 1999, along with most of the tracks of the album, at the Cheiron Studios in Stockholm. Max Martin himself and Nana Hedin provided background vocals for the track, which is very similar in style to her debut single ...Baby One More Time. However, contrary to the 1998 anthem in which she sung about dying from loneliness due to an unrequited love, in Oops! she's the one playing with the guy's feelings, who thinks she's in love, but she instead reveals not being that innocent. After the second chorus, there's a spoken break with a dialog between the two, which makes a reference to the 1997 film Titanic.

It peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 while hitting the #1 position on the Pop Songs chart. In Australia and New Zealand it went #1, as well as in most of the European countries it charted, with other positions being not lower than Top 5, receiving multiple Platinum and Gold certifications in those regions.

It was nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the 43rd Annual Grammy Awards in 2001. As of March 2021, the song has over 368M+ streams on Spotify, her fourth most listened track on the platform.

CM-Spears-Britney-Oops-I-Did-it-Again-i-EU-2000-RH200.jpg

The European, Australian and Japanese maxi singles included Deep in My Heart as its B-side, a track previously released in some versions of her first album, as well as a remix of previous single From the Bottom of My Broken Heart. Other versions included the official instrumental and several remixes such as the Music Breakdown Mix and the Rodney Jerkins (Darkchild) Remix.

On TRL, Britney talked a little bit about the song, confessing to a fan that the part about the Titanic reference was mostly done in a sarcastic way, and also talked about the meaning behind the "not that innocent" phrase:

Britney performed the song live in numerous TV shows:

The most memorable of them all, the 2000 VMA's:

From her tours, she performed the son during the Crazy 2k Tour, the Oops!... I Did It Again Tour, Dream Within a Dream Tour and The Onyx Hotel Tour, the latter of which received a cabaret arrangement.

She wouldn't perform the song again until 2013, when she included it on her Piece of Me residency in Las Vegas, as well as the 2017 and 2018 tours.

An iconic music video for the song where she dances on Mars was directed by Nigel ****, but we'll celebrate its anniversary next month.

asi-celebro-britney-spears-con-la-nasa-e

The song has been covered many times by different artists, including the TV series Glee

It was also included in her appearance on Carpool Karaoke in 2016

Happy anniversary Oops!... I Did It Again :clap_clapping_britney_xfactor_red_excited_yay_cheer::yeahhh_britney_oops_red_fist_cheer_yeah_smile_happy: 

• Love 9

I remember it took me days to finally catch the making of the video because my uncle didnt want me watching Mtv while visiting for spring break. I was 14 :pieceofwhat_britney_awkward:

Oops was my favorite Britney song for a good decade and is still probably in my top 5.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, danny1994 said:

I've always been confused, Wikipedia says it was released to radio April 11. That must be wrong.

Yeah I noticed that too, but I don't find any reference for that. The Spanish Wikipedia says March 27 and links to BRITannica, a long-time blogger that used to write for britney.com link

And also, as I cited, the official Jive Records website also mentioned March 27 link

If you go through waybackmachine, you'll also find a letter from Lynne where she talks about the video coming out next week, and says the song has been out for a while now, and the video came out on April 10. 

• Like 1

First Britney song I ever remember hearing on the radio. And I’ll be honest, I got into classic rock and roll at a very early age and Britney and all pop drove me nuts back then, it was even worse when Toxic came on the radio lol.

Of course now I’ve grown to appreciate all of Britney’s hits.

• Love 2