The Atlantic explores how pop music died when it became political and didn't let listeners escape from the world

Really depends on who you listen to imo. Maybe most mainstream pop music needs a touch up but if you do a little digging you can find some good indie pop music. 

Purity Ring is eccentric and otherworldly. Literally one of the most transporting discogs I've listened to. Their latest album dropped in 2020.

Kiiara is dancy, whimsical, poetic, and strange. She dropped an album in 2020 and is getting slept on so much it's criminal. 

SZA may be more R&B than pop, but she has some good stuff and is coming out with a new album soon.

Rihanna has actually hinted that new music may come sooner than later. 

If ya'll dislike Billies music, that's one thing but if it's just the general style you dislike, I'd say give her a shot for real. 

Lorde is also rumored to come back with new stuff as well. 

It's just the landscape is different and we (generations older than Z) are used to being spoonfed our next idols which were so carefully curated it was tough not to be in love.

The scope of what's available is so broad and diverse, you have to look for it which is a fantastic treasure hunt that has reshaped my music library over the past few months. 

I miss pop music :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

these new people just aren’t the same. I used to be PUMPED for new music release day. I think it used to be either Monday or Tuesday? I’d stay up and wait for a new pop song to drop. For Britney, Katy, Rihanna, Beyoncé. All of the pop queens. I think I even waited up for Madonna’s Give Me All Your Luvin’ (total letdown) :zoomzoom_britney_annoyed_irritated_blink: I just miss being excited about the music! It was like an escape. I don’t really get that anymore from these artists. Taylor never disappoints. She doesn’t even count. She just does no wrong in my eyes. But the last pop album besides hers that I really enjoyed was Plastic Hearts by Miley Cyrus. And she wasn’t even considering it pop. :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide:

this thread triggered me. :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

I don't think the sad state of Pop music can be summed up with just that since there are more factors that caused it but it's a really good take. I personally think 2010's popular pop (Katy, Rihanna, Gaga...) wasn't meant to last for long (there's a reason why many pop acts try to attach themselves to the 80s sound now), it's incredibly overhyped and the trends we witnessed all went in a direction I didn't enjoy for the most part. :britstare11_britney_ftr_for_the_record_annoyed_tired_irritated_sigh: But at least it wasn't total boredom like now. I feel the 00s were more forward-thinking and diverse and mainstream pop was in a new lane that wasn't explored before, I really miss that.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block