The Atlantic explores how pop music died when it became political and didn't let listeners escape from the world

• Exhale+

In, 2010 Katy Perry and her cartoon characters larger than life persona,  Lady gaga catering to the underground club culture,  where she boldly and proudly proclaimed nightly on her monster ball that she locked the weirdos (straight laced people) were banned from her show, cos they don't represent the new revolution of being one true self.

And of Course Rihanna who was on track to be the artist that could overtake Mariah's Billboard record. 

But, it all changed in 2013, when gaga released Artpop, and it was given a mixed reception by the critics and audiences alike, Katy and Prism wanted to be taken seriously and Rihanna would begin her first actual hiatus in 2014, she entered her second one in 2017. 

So, what happened to pop music, The Atlantic explains it basically died, when Dr. Luke and Kesha court battle took the pop Music court, black lives matter, and artists wanting to be political, mostly female,  turned people off. 

Reggaeton and Latin hip hop music is popular, cos it never went political the way the English pop Music did, and the Atlantic thinks it truly can't make a comeback,  until a pop star wants to remain neutral,  it's okay to be political,  but for a genre that was built in escapism,  what's the point in embracing a music genre that lost the whole plot and premise it was built around. pop-escape.jpg.3590457b083541060a8ea73d7aeb378f.jpg

• Like 5

I'm the hunter, you're the fox 🦊.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i totally agree, look also at the last projects of beyoncé

In, 2010 Katy Perry and her cartoon characters larger than life persona,  Lady gaga catering to the underground club culture,  where she boldly and proudly proclaimed nightly on her monster ball that

Y'all think Billie's a breath of fresh air even though she's essentially an edgier version of Lorde with bad hair.  Pop really is doomed.

Posted Images

I agree.  Pop was how I got away from the stresses of my real world, but now a lot of it stresses me out.

The rest of the world still loves its escapist pop.  Look at Eurovision and if you haven’t checked them out yet, please watch some videos by Little Big!  So fun

• Like 9

Nice take. I do believe the pop music rollercoaster died around the transformative 2014-15 years. Ironic enough, 2015 was also when SoundCloud and Mumble Rap became a phenomenon and transformed the music industry. Since 2015, the music industry has definitely had its share of ups and downs (2019 and 2017 being pretty solid years for music) but what’s sad is the rapid decline of music during this past year alone. The value and appreciation of music is basically dead.

• Like 6

they're not wrong

but i hate when people say that a certain genre is dead just because it's not charting as much as before, there's plenty of independant artists out there that make good pop music

streaming also drastically changed the music landscape , now people consume what they want to consume, not what they're being fed

what killed pop music is the way billboard changed their rules, if they didn't start counting streaming stats, popstars would still be getting number ones from left to right, rap was always big, even during 2008-2011, but rap fans don't buy albums  which is why pop felt bigger , but trust me, rap was always big

• Like 3

I dunno how I feel about that article. I mean I agree that going political was Katy's biggest mistake during the Witness era and was the main reason why that album tanked, but pop hasn't "died". We've got Dua and Ava after all.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Stefani said:

I dunno how I feel about that article. I mean I agree that going political was Katy's biggest mistake during the Witness era and was the main reason why that album tanked, but pop hasn't "died". We've got Dua and Ava after all.

Dua and Ava? :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Last thing we need are more disposable pop acts recycling sounds that were already done and hardly bring any originality to the table. I will say that Dua’s aesthetic is cute and she has some great producers but overall, she isn’t anything revolutionary. The state of pop, and music as a whole, is dead right now. The only mainstream female act at this moment who is actually worth mentioning is Billie considering her music has been a breath of fresh air amidst this watered down era of pop.

• Haha 1
  • Like 3
  • Exhale+
2 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

who need both of them when we already have Katy and Lady Gaga? :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

And many YouTube blogs from honest and others said Ava Max would have been massive in 2012, her sound and aesthetic is seriously dated as it doesn't represent 2020s aesthetic and feel overall. 

• Like 3

I'm the hunter, you're the fox 🦊.

22 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

And many YouTube blogs from honest and others said Ava Max would have been massive in 2012, her sound and aesthetic is seriously dated as it doesn't represent 2020s aesthetic and feel overall. 

she is a complete copy of lady gaga in 2010

• Like 1
  • Exhale+
11 hours ago, Dreams said:

what killed pop music is the way billboard changed their rules, if they didn't start counting streaming stats, popstars would still be getting number ones from left to right, rap was always big, even during 2008-2011, but rap fans don't buy albums  which is why pop felt bigger , but trust me, rap was always big

Points for this well-written and amazingly-produced post :meryl_streep_point_yas_yes_meme_proud: Took the words out of my mouth!

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

• Exhale+
19 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Ummm not you dragging Billie like this when her and Finneas are musical prodigies :drag_tiffany_ny_new_york_miss_ms_fight_pull_push_mad:

@Blackout2006 are you reading what I'm seeing :fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad:

I can't with these people comparing her to LORDE :drag_tiffany_ny_new_york_miss_ms_fight_pull_push_mad:

I have listened to both of their music, and nothing is similar except their voice tones :drag_tiffany_ny_new_york_miss_ms_fight_pull_push_mad:

• Like 2

Young Billie Run Pop :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

• Exhale+
10 hours ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Dua and Ava? :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Last thing we need are more disposable pop acts recycling sounds that were already done and hardly bring any originality to the table. I will say that Dua’s aesthetic is cute and she has some great producers but overall, she isn’t anything revolutionary. The state of pop, and music as a whole, is dead right now.

The clownery :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: I wont talk much of Ava since I only stan 2 of her songs so do your job @CrazyButItFeelsAllright :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme::cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: But for Dua, it is unfair to call her a disposable pop act when she in terms of promotion and era management the closest we are getting to prime popstars! I mean, which pop artist right now is doing what she is doing? She is constantly promoting her album, she is the only artist in the streaming era releasing 4-6 singles, having relevance and longevity (especially in the charts), constantly churning out several hits, serving us quality performances and she is ACTUALLY improving her charisma and stage ability, and is doing so much for this era. She IS the one keeping pop alive :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Yes, I would not say she is a revolutionary act but lets give props rightfully. The disco trend was started, and lead by HER. Also, she has the second-most acclaimed pop album of 2020, are we even- :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Also, Pop isn't dead. We are considerably going to a pop revival now. What I mean was that in the past 2 years, we have got fantastic and well-produced pop albums. In 2019, we got WWAFA,WDWG? by Billie, Thank You, Next by Ariana Grande, Titanic Rising, Charli and Magdalene by FKA Twigs. In 2020, we got Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa, SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama, Folklore by Taylor Swift, Ungodly Hour by Chloe x Halle, Manic by Halsey , How I'm Feeling Now by Charli XCX, After Hours by Weeknd, Slow Rush by Tame Impala, Chromatica by Gaga and Whats Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware. These past two years have proven to be very rich and flourishing years for pop in terms of quality :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

• Exhale+
12 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Right :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

Their musical styles LITERALLY couldn't be anymore different :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

Imagine hearing Green Light and When The Party's Over, and still thinking they both make the same music :clown_meme__makeup_green:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

The clownery :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: I wont talk much of Ava since I only stan 2 of her songs so do your job @CrazyButItFeelsAllright :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme::cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: But for Dua, it is unfair to call her a disposable pop act when she in terms of promotion and era management the closest we are getting to prime popstars! I mean, which pop artist right now is doing what she is doing? She is constantly promoting her album, she is the only artist in the streaming era releasing 4-6 singles, having relevance and longevity (especially in the charts), constantly churning out several hits, serving us quality performances and she is ACTUALLY improving her charisma and stage ability, and is doing so much for this era. She IS the one keeping pop alive :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Yes, I would not say she is a revolutionary act but lets give props rightfully. The disco trend was started, and lead by HER. Also, she has the second-most acclaimed pop album of 2020, are we even- :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Also, Pop isn't dead. We are considerably going to a pop revival now. What I mean was that in the past 2 years, we have got fantastic and well-produced pop albums. In 2019, we got WWAFA,WDWG? by Billie, Thank You, Next by Ariana Grande, Titanic Rising, Charli and Magdalene by FKA Twigs. In 2020, we got Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa, SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama, Folklore by Taylor Swift, Ungodly Hour by Chloe x Halle, Manic by Halsey , How I'm Feeling Now by Charli XCX, After Hours by Weeknd, Slow Rush by Tame Impala, Chromatica by Gaga and Whats Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware. These past two years have proven to be very rich and flourishing years for pop in terms of quality :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

cackling.gif