The Atlantic explores how pop music died when it became political and didn't let listeners escape from the world

Nice take. I do believe the pop music rollercoaster died around the transformative 2014-15 years. Ironic enough, 2015 was also when SoundCloud and Mumble Rap became a phenomenon and transformed the music industry. Since 2015, the music industry has definitely had its share of ups and downs (2019 and 2017 being pretty solid years for music) but what’s sad is the rapid decline of music during this past year alone. The value and appreciation of music is basically dead.

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, Stefani said:

I dunno how I feel about that article. I mean I agree that going political was Katy's biggest mistake during the Witness era and was the main reason why that album tanked, but pop hasn't "died". We've got Dua and Ava after all.

Dua and Ava? :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Last thing we need are more disposable pop acts recycling sounds that were already done and hardly bring any originality to the table. I will say that Dua’s aesthetic is cute and she has some great producers but overall, she isn’t anything revolutionary. The state of pop, and music as a whole, is dead right now. The only mainstream female act at this moment who is actually worth mentioning is Billie considering her music has been a breath of fresh air amidst this watered down era of pop.

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, Dreams said:

what killed pop music is the way billboard changed their rules, if they didn't start counting streaming stats, popstars would still be getting number ones from left to right, rap was always big, even during 2008-2011, but rap fans don't buy albums  which is why pop felt bigger , but trust me, rap was always big

Points for this well-written and amazingly-produced post :meryl_streep_point_yas_yes_meme_proud: Took the words out of my mouth!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Dua and Ava? :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Last thing we need are more disposable pop acts recycling sounds that were already done and hardly bring any originality to the table. I will say that Dua’s aesthetic is cute and she has some great producers but overall, she isn’t anything revolutionary. The state of pop, and music as a whole, is dead right now.

The clownery :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: I wont talk much of Ava since I only stan 2 of her songs so do your job @CrazyButItFeelsAllright :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme::cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: But for Dua, it is unfair to call her a disposable pop act when she in terms of promotion and era management the closest we are getting to prime popstars! I mean, which pop artist right now is doing what she is doing? She is constantly promoting her album, she is the only artist in the streaming era releasing 4-6 singles, having relevance and longevity (especially in the charts), constantly churning out several hits, serving us quality performances and she is ACTUALLY improving her charisma and stage ability, and is doing so much for this era. She IS the one keeping pop alive :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Yes, I would not say she is a revolutionary act but lets give props rightfully. The disco trend was started, and lead by HER. Also, she has the second-most acclaimed pop album of 2020, are we even- :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Also, Pop isn't dead. We are considerably going to a pop revival now. What I mean was that in the past 2 years, we have got fantastic and well-produced pop albums. In 2019, we got WWAFA,WDWG? by Billie, Thank You, Next by Ariana Grande, Titanic Rising, Charli and Magdalene by FKA Twigs. In 2020, we got Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa, SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama, Folklore by Taylor Swift, Ungodly Hour by Chloe x Halle, Manic by Halsey , How I'm Feeling Now by Charli XCX, After Hours by Weeknd, Slow Rush by Tame Impala, Chromatica by Gaga and Whats Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware. These past two years have proven to be very rich and flourishing years for pop in terms of quality :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

The clownery :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: I wont talk much of Ava since I only stan 2 of her songs so do your job @CrazyButItFeelsAllright :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme::cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: But for Dua, it is unfair to call her a disposable pop act when she in terms of promotion and era management the closest we are getting to prime popstars! I mean, which pop artist right now is doing what she is doing? She is constantly promoting her album, she is the only artist in the streaming era releasing 4-6 singles, having relevance and longevity (especially in the charts), constantly churning out several hits, serving us quality performances and she is ACTUALLY improving her charisma and stage ability, and is doing so much for this era. She IS the one keeping pop alive :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Yes, I would not say she is a revolutionary act but lets give props rightfully. The disco trend was started, and lead by HER. Also, she has the second-most acclaimed pop album of 2020, are we even- :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Also, Pop isn't dead. We are considerably going to a pop revival now. What I mean was that in the past 2 years, we have got fantastic and well-produced pop albums. In 2019, we got WWAFA,WDWG? by Billie, Thank You, Next by Ariana Grande, Titanic Rising, Charli and Magdalene by FKA Twigs. In 2020, we got Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa, SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama, Folklore by Taylor Swift, Ungodly Hour by Chloe x Halle, Manic by Halsey , How I'm Feeling Now by Charli XCX, After Hours by Weeknd, Slow Rush by Tame Impala, Chromatica by Gaga and Whats Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware. These past two years have proven to be very rich and flourishing years for pop in terms of quality :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

cackling.gif 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block