Was ‘Me Against The Music’ going to be the first single even without Madonna?

Just now, Spicechinodiva said:

They say the same thing about us only into rap music and country and our pop isn't pop at all. 

So the feelings mutual..

Objectively speaking, the United States has always been more diverse and accepting of other genres when compared to Europe. Don't lie to yourself now.

1 minute ago, Kiey said:

imo wouldnt even be cooler if Janet Jackson was for MATM

it sounded like a much suitable choice over Madonna

Well due to racism, a blond girl could never be influenced by a black girl, and the media ran with the Madonna theory. 

Madonna's successor was pink and of course lady gaga, as Joe levy said Lady Gaga grew up in The world of New York that Madonna helped create in the late 70s and early 80s..

Pink according to All Music guide was Madonna especially with Try this, and her brashness and brutally honest lyrics especially on last to Know. 

Britney never was mentioned as having any Madonna influence at all. But, somehow Jive, MTV, and Billboard all played a part in creating a narrative and erasing Janet's influence on Britney and to a lesser degree both Janet and Britney went along as well. 

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 10:28 AM, Spicechinodiva said:

Well due to racism, a blond girl could never be influenced by a black girl, and the media ran with the Madonna theory. 

Madonna's successor was pinkand of course lady gaga, as Joe levy said Lady Gaga grew up in The world of New York that Madonna helped create in the late 70s and early 80s..

Pink according to All Music guide was Madonna especially with Try this, and her brashness and brutally honest lyrics especially on last to Know. 

Britney never was mentioned as having any Madonna influence at all. But, somehow Jive, MTV, and Billboard all played a part in creating a narrative and erasing Janet's influence on Britney and to a lesser degree both Janet and Britney went along as well. 

Well, M wanted Pink on the VMAS 2003 but Xtina went instead. And i don't think the media run with anything bc Britney always stated since the start of her career that her biggest influences were/are Janet, Madonna, Whitney and Mariah. But Janet is her biggest and wanna-be-like-her (The Britney album is literally a proof of it bc Lonely sounds just like What About; Slave 4 U, Bombastic Love and Boys were for Janet and Boys sounds identical to Nasty and its video as well, Anticipating has the poppy bubblegum song of All For You and Come On Get Up, Overprotected is Control to a T, INAGNYAW is kinda similar to Again and Intimidated sounds identical to Go Deep and has Control's New Jack Swing vibe). Ofc after, they tried to erase Janet's influence on other girls especially after the super bowl. I think the only time Janet's influence was 'acknowledged' was with Ciara. J deserves more credit. And for this, i wonder if Whitney's influence on Xtina was acknowledged since she was presented as Mariah 2.0 in the pop music world. Yes, before Gaga, P!nk was considered to be a Madge 2.0(i hope Pink's COADF era will come next and Try This is basically her 'Erotica'). As for MATM, originally it was a solo song, the solo version isn't all that, but still a good song. 

On 3/20/2021 at 10:59 AM, Frankie8 said:

MATM was a weak single choice. After she first performed it at the NFL season opener, I wasn't feeling it too much and my radio station trashed the song the next day. I remember one of the DJs said if she came to Philadelphia to perform that, people would throw cheesesteaks at her :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:.

You would expect the most epic of epic songs for the Queen and Princess of Pop to collaborate on and this was not it.

I do like the song, but not a favorite. Her choreo though was fire.

yeah agree, i love the song and its good, but its not great and not like the song to do with the most important duet of her career at the time. i feel like when two mega stars come together it never works. - rain on me says hello.

• Love 1
  • 3 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, sjadeupdate said:

She was boycotted on radio back then so collaborating on the lead single of her fourth album with someone who was also boycotted on radio (Following the "American Life" era) wasn't the best idea, at least it was a hit in the rest of the World but could have done better in the US.

Lmaooo now that you say it true. radio ban + radio ban = bound to flop:ohdear_britney_glory_dear,_fingers_hand_face_orange_hide_uh_oh:

On 3/21/2021 at 11:57 PM, Alio said:

Yes the song was supposed to be a single WITHOUT Madonna at first.

Promo CDs were printed without her voice. Maybe some people don't know that but the cups you see in the music video has a tiny CD inside the lid (you put the straw in the hole of the CD) and that CD was the first version without Madonna, I still have one of these cups with the tiny CD. :brityes_britney_yes_nodding:

Omg never knew, I've never even heard the solo version. Gonna try that on ebay although it sounds like it was a very limited edition!

On 3/20/2021 at 4:42 PM, rennen said:

From memory I think she was fighting with her label to get it as a lead single even before Madonna joined on.

As a fan of both Britney and Madonna, it wasn't the right song for them to collaborate on. 

I much prefer the version with Penelope Magnet and wish that was the lead they went with.

100% agreed.